MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 11-03-10, 08:04

Default Vehicle markings

My question is about markings on a 15CWT radio truck wich would be with the 25 pr guns , usually there is a Carrier or Op tank at the front , wich will direct the fire by sending messages to this 15CWt truck near the guns, who will then tell the gun crews were to aim at . would this truck have the colours from the signals( white blue), or the same as RA (blue red) ?
or better are there any pictures of these vehicles around ?
Old 11-03-10, 22:33

Maurice
The Gun Position Officer's truck would wear RA AOS (red/blue) and would also carry the marking (in a towed gun regiment) of GA, GB, GC, etc, depending on the troop. This would normally be on a blue square with one quarter red (and the square is normally smaller than the usual AOS square). The red quarter is top right for Ist battery and moves clockwise for the others. Dick Taylor's new Warpaint Vol 2 describes this, as does the older 'British Military Markings 1939-45 by (originally) Peter Hodges.
HTH
Chris

Last edited by chrisgrove; 11-03-10 at 22:34. Reason: grammar
Old 12-03-10, 07:52

Default Vehicle Markings

Thanks Chris .
I got in doubt because I have a picture from IWM (copyright) with a convoy RA Op carriers, together with Quads and at the back a Fordson with 10CWT trailer. This Fordson has Guards markings together with signals collors( White top )
Old 09-04-10, 00:02

Maurice. All signallers (small s) within a gunner regiment would be gunners (of the Royal Artillery) and their vehicles would carry RA signs. A vehicle with Royal Signals signs would belong to another unit. That is not to say that a vehicle from another unit might not be part of the convoy for some reason, or that the sigs vehicle had just been transferred to the gunners from another unit and the signs not yet repainted. Always difficult to be sure!

Chris
Old 09-04-10, 10:11

Default markings

thanks Chris , Yes I know difficult subject , I am wondering if the regular soldier in those days understood the system.
Old 20-09-10, 20:31

Default guards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Donckers View Post
Thanks Chris .
I got in doubt because I have a picture from IWM (copyright) with a convoy RA Op carriers, together with Quads and at the back a Fordson with 10CWT trailer. This Fordson has Guards markings together with signals collors( White top )
I know it is a long time ago ,but could you send me a the picture of the fordson, i aim collector of guards stuff??