MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 25-09-05, 23:28
former Resident Historian

Default General Motors & The Nazis

Not strictly a subject for this forum but nevertheless relevant, the long-awaited book 'GENERAL MOTORS AND THE NAZIS' by Professor Hewnry Turner of Yale has been published. Ahem! Yours Truly has a signed copy with personal gratitude note in it because I contributed a lot of information as a result of my thesis on the Southampton CMD Plant with all the commensurate researches into Canadian vehicle assembly in the UK 1940-45, as well as some Vauxhall wartime work including the Dunstable [shadow] factory that built Churchill A22 tanks and rebuilt vehicles for the Ministry of Supply. The book mentions why the Brandenburg Truck Plant was built and also how Opels became involved with Ju88 parts etc.

I highly recommend this book as an excellent read, and source of information. However, regrettably you will have to wait for my forthcoming book based on my thesis with detailed information about GM's attempts at even-handedness with military vehicle assembly and sales not just in the UK but the Mid-East. Also there is nothing in the book essentially about military sales to the Netherlands, Belgium and France, which I may address in due course. GM also supplied military vehicles to Yugoslavia, Hungary, Switzerland, Poland, Aghanistan, as well as British Empire countries. There is so much more to be said in addition to Prof Turner's concise wording and this I hope to address in the future with the military vehicle series.