MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 05-01-06, 03:37
BIG MIKE

Default The Big Question

OK FUNNY thing when I was looking at my UC for the millonth time last night and as i mentioned in prevous threads, and I noticed on Brads new pics earlyer, BRADS front bogis has thinner rubber on them, Reason?, I looked at my bogis the second bogi on each pair has less rubber also , Now could the last owner of this carrier might have put the wrong bogis in the wrong area????? ask you , now what would happen if I leave them alone? and keep the fatter bogi rubberd wheel up front, now someone did say that the Front bogis are diff from the running bogis's is this True what and how can I tell the diff?, More BS , to pull off this thing cuz sum shithead did't use a manual putting this back together, before my time. I shoulda bought a jeep, LOL cheers lads ENLIGHTEN ME PLEASEEE!!

BIG MIKE starting to wonder to the water!!
Old 05-01-06, 05:34

Mike

The front bogies have thinner rubber on them cause thats how they were designed. If they were supposed to be the same then all wheels would have the same amount of rubber. It is very possible that the previous owner put them on in the wrong order.

I have no idea what would happen if you left them as they were. Chances are that nothing bad will happen but then again you could be cruzing along in a parade and have a wheel or track fall off and take out a bunch of civies.

The best way to tell the difference is to look at the part numbers on the wheels themselves and compare it to the manual.

Heck so far the funniest I have seen was two years ago at an event I was watching Stewart L?? and Charlie F????? (keeping names confidential but they know who they are) mess around with the tracks. I thought somthing doesn't look right and a quick run to the other side of the carrier confirmed what I was thinking. Charlie F?????'s front left wheel assembly was on front to back. He had never noticed it and figures it must have been done by a previous owner. He always wondered why that side was bumpy.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 05-01-06, 06:00

Default The big question

Hi Mike, I,ve got a workshop/ operating manual for both the Canadian carrier and Local pattern ( NZ) carrier, and they do not mention anything about your big question. I have noticed that on our local pattern carriers with good rubber that the centre bogie rubber does get chewed a bit by the track horns which may have brought around the thought of moving worn wheels into this position, The only time that this would really occur is when the vehicle is turning hard on a slope and the bogie rubber is hard up against the track horns. On the flat it shouldn't be a problem. Anyway I reckon your best bet is to take it out for a spin (literally) and see what happens. all the best David...
Old 05-01-06, 10:39
Bluebell

Default Mike

You have already asked and I told you the answer. Yappy, can I borrow your frypan?

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 05-01-06, 11:32
BIG MIKE

Thanks Lads's I will do Both Check the Bogi Numbers and Drive it around in the spring time, Hey lynn you WANT A "KISS or a SLAP"?.

CHEERIO

BIG MIKE
Old 06-01-06, 03:57
BIG MIKE

I just found out my own BIG Question tonite , The 2 bogis that are misplaced on my uc are the Track adjuster wheels, the cast Bogi wheels are all identicle, so it;s just putting the wheels back in the rite spot, Thanks lads for leading me in the rite direction , even you Lynn.

Cheers BIG MIKE
Old 07-01-06, 07:30
Bluebell

Default Big Mike

If it's down to a choice, I'll take the slap.
Happy to see you have it sorted,and its great to have a forum like this where we have access to the answers we're looking for so easily.
I think the thin rubber on the front bogie wheel probably helps to keep the track on when the carrier is in a turn situation and is probably less likely to shed the rubber than a standard wheel in the same situation.
Cheers,
Lynn.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....