MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 14-10-19, 20:26

Default Non-Ethanol Gas at Canadian Tire

While filling up my Dodge Caravan the other day at a Canadian Tire Gas Station, I noticed something new on the pump. New labels had been applied to each of the grade selections that specified the amount of ethanol in each grade of gasoline. Much to my surprise, their Premium Grade now specifies no ethanol. This was new to me. I asked the person behind the cash about this and the reply was these labels had just been recently applied but did not know for how long their premium gasoline had been ethanol free. Since owning an MV, I've always used Shell's V-Power Premium grade of gasoline as I believed it to be the only local source of ethanol free gasoline. With this now being the case, I now have an alternate source. Awesome!
Attached Thumbnails
CT2.1.jpg   CT3.1.jpg   CT4.1.jpg   CT1.1.jpg  
1943 GM HUA (Project)
1962 Daimler Ferret (Sold)

Last edited by Terry Witiuk; 14-10-19 at 20:51.
Old 14-10-19, 21:29
carrier mech

Most premium fuels that I have dealt with are ethanol free. According to government regulations, fuel must average 5% ethanol. Since most regular grade fuel is 10%, mid grade is 5%, that leaves the premiums to be the non-ethanol grade. The price is what controls the useage.
That said, a quick google into the subject shows that there are premiums out there, including some shell stations, that use the ethanol to increase the octane levels of the fuel to meet the premium octane rating. Google says even shell may use ethanol in some stations with their premium.

I just got over having to fix my virgin John Deere lawn tractor the other day. I mistakenly put in a tankful of ethanol blend about 2 months back, and it would not start. I had to take apart the carb, and the needle valve was stuck in the full open position. Up to then, it had only premium run through it, and even after sitting the winter, would start right up.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why the government bothers with the stuff. It generally gets 2% less mileage, and if the intent is to use "renewable" fuel, it seems to me we have enough fossil fuel reserves to outlast the projected use before the electric vehicles take over. Ethanol is a definite boon to the guys who fix chainsaws, lawnmowers, and other small engines.
Old 15-10-19, 02:14
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Ethanol additive just a cheap and simple filler. Petroleum companies essentially thinking down the product with a cheap
additive that actually gives you worse mileage.
Quite the scam

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 15-10-19, 02:55
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris vickery View Post
Petroleum companies essentially thinking down the product with a cheap
additive that actually gives you worse mileage.
Quite the scam
Except it is not the oil companies doing it, and it is not cheaper. It is the corn (and farm) lobby selling it as a renewable alternative. Governments take it on because it appears to be a renewable alternative. It actually costs more to make.....they subsidized the stuff initially here in Manitoba, but now we pay the full price for an inferior (and harmful) product.

When it comes to gasoline and diesel, when you think about it,we are quite spoiled by the price. These days, you pay more for a liter of drinkable water than you do for a liter of fuel here.
Old 16-10-19, 03:47

I use 100 LL Avgas and Premium no ethanol in all my military trucks , Carrier and my ATV , snowblower and lawnmower , chain saw . It makes a difference in maintenance bills and start ups after sitting . Regular gas is poison . Cheers. Bob
94 LSVW
Old 17-10-19, 01:55

After problems with ethanol gas i have been buying the shell premium. If they state no ethanol what right do they have to add it? Wish they would do away with it altogether. Brian