MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 29-09-19, 01:28

Default Gear linkage parts needed

Does anyone have a spare, or drawing for the, gear change linkage (CTL 4959 - the cross drilled tube under the engine between the gearbox and gear lever)?

Click image for larger version

Name:	6BAA5E07-8600-4F10-B461-8145EA77F5C4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	482.5 KB
ID:	109309

Mine seems to be a made up part, the end isn’t cross drilled, but is a sliding split collar and it is a nightmare to align correctly, plus it keeps moving out of alignment with the result of losing my gears.

Also can anyone tell me if there is a seal on the back axle input that can be replaced? Mine is leaking quite badly, although I haven’t put the seal around
the joint between gearbox and axle yet...

Many thanks,

Tom
Old 29-09-19, 02:06

Can you be more specific about the axle seal?
I gather you refer to the transmission extension that mates to the differential extension, which is externally covered with a thick leather gaiter and held in place with two steel band clamps? The early MK-I* carriers did not have an oil seal between the differential extension and the rear of the transmission. That was changed when an upgrade was introduced through a Service Bulletin showing the work necessary to modify the existing parts and install a seal. It is covered in other posts within the carrier forum on MLU.

Search for “rear seal”... originally started by Derrick Eastman, with plenty of input from Love, Farrant and others.

As for the speed change tube, do you have the necessary connections on the parts at each (opposite) end?
Attached Images

Last edited by Michael R.; 03-01-20 at 00:49. Reason: ��*♂️ ✔️
Old 29-09-19, 23:26

Thanks for the info on the seal, I will take a look at the threads. It is the transmission extension that I’m referring to. I haven’t refitted the leather seal yet, and driving the carrier about a bit caused a fair bit of oil to leak out. So before I refitted the engine covers I wanted to check if there was a seal on the gearbox output shaft or the axle input shaft which should be replaced. I think I will seal up the extension with some self amalgamating rubber tape and put the leather seal back on.

Re the gear selector tube, I have both the male ends (gear shift lever and gearbox ends), I just need the tube in between. I have a tube of sorts but not sure it’s the right length, and it is not cross drilled on the gear lever end. Hence I keep getting issues with the gear lever coming out of alignment. An accurate drawing would enable me to make a new tube, but an original would be better if anyone has one.
Old 30-09-19, 07:13
Bluebell

Tom, Basically you need to reverse engineer it unless you have a good sample. Get your self a suitable bit of morris minor exhaust pipe, 763mm long.
The two outer holes should be about 732mm centers and are approximately on the same plane. This might test you a bit, plotting the other holes.
If you can borrow one, do so and make a jig to fit it, so that you can copy it. If not, you might put gear box and lever in a gear and with two bits of pipe and a bit that fits inside so that you can tack weld and check it for length and angle and use it for a jig when you have it sorted.
I hope that helps.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 30-09-19, 12:01
HLIofC - Normandy Pl

Quote:
Mine is leaking quite badly, although I haven’t put the seal around
the joint between gearbox and axle yet...

Tom
And check that the diff is vented properly....if pressure is forcing the oil out, the large leather boot won't hold it..

f

too many carriers
too many rovers
not enough time.
(and now a BSA...)
(and now a Triumph TRW...)
Old 30-09-19, 13:17

Cheers Charles, I hadn't thought to check that.

Last edited by Tom Millward; 30-09-19 at 15:01.
Old 30-09-19, 14:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie fitton View Post
And check that the diff is vented properly....if pressure is forcing the oil out, the large leather boot won't hold it..f
That is well worth repeating.
Old 03-01-20, 00:19

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191230_112639.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	540.4 KB
ID:	111210

Thank you to Michael R for the excellent drawing of his transmission shift tube (CTL 4959). I've made a copy and fitted it to the Carrier. My existing one was about 1/4" too short and the wrong fixing arrangement so hopefully this will sort my shifting issue.

I managed to fit the lower radiator cowl before I put the engine back in. What a bastard that was! I'm guessing it would have gone in before the axle rather than after it as it took me a while day to get it in and bolted up!

I've also bitten the bullet and bought two of the single pulley uprated truck water pumps as mine are leaking. It does look like you can swap over the pulleys from the old pumps to the new, but I don't have access to a hydraulic press so I'll run on a single belt for now and change them over at a later date.