MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 31-03-13, 03:14
Tony VAN RHODA

Default P-47 fighter assembled in a field

Hi All

Here is an interesting bit of info for those WW2 plane buffs, We all knew planes were assembled in factories, but this assembly in the field is terrific and I take my hat off to the pilot who just walks up and flies it away. Good old American ingenuity at its best. Its about 40" long but kinda cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2D3k0sJ8HM

This truly remarkable step-by-step training film shows how a ground support crew of fifty men could assemble a P-47 fighter in a farm field using nothing more than muscle, un-powered hand tools and pieces of the shipping crate it came in. We're talking nothing more than a saw, hammers, wrenches and bicycle pumps. You'll get a unique look at the inner workings of the big Jug as it is bolted together. Then a pilot jumps in and flies it away! A must see for P-47 fans and shade tree mechanics alike. This is an amazing piece of war-time footage. The ingenuity of the people is very impressive.

Cheers

Tony
Old 31-03-13, 04:03

Default Fantastic......

I have always been a fan of the P 47..... the JUG..... claimed to built like a truck....... able to take punishment like no other plane.

After seeing how it is assembled I am not so sure......

I know it was ground tested but the balls of the first guy to take it up....

The good old days.... when grease is applied with bare hands..... no work gloves seen....

Some concerns......

What kind of soft sole army boots would allow walking on soft aluminum wings??

After installing one wing...... and the men all release hand support.... what is keeping that 1800 pound wing from pulling the fuselage down..... OK the other side was not undone yet...... but when it is.... and the other wing is not yet attached you would have need for some wooden braces under the already installed wing..... wouldn't you..? I am sure it was in the foot note somewhere..

the poor guy pumping 360 pounds of pressure in the final landing gear set up must have been some tired.

The two poor suckers cranking that inertia starter are in direct line with the exhaust pipe.... which on a cold engine would belch unburned fuel/flames and there are not protective clothing or fire extinguishers in sight...?

No mention of how many hours start to finish or total man hours from crate to airborne.

Amawreekun inginuity at its best.

Oh well it is partly hollywood.....

Quite an interesting 40 minutes.....thoroughly enjoyed it.. thank you.

Bob C.
Canada
Old 31-03-13, 14:09
Tony VAN RHODA

Default P-47 Assembled

Hi Bob

Yes mate, I too enjoyed the film and I agree there was some poetic licence in making the film. But then it was made by the movie company as a a training film. I would like to see the "out takes" before the finished film was released to the troops. I noted that at one time there when they were cranking the inertia starter the guy who had his back to prop, turned his head and had a bit of a worried look at the prop as it fired up.

Still a well thought up blow by blow instruction manual for the boys in the field, that is if everything worked out to plan by following the instructions. I am sure the movie makers took some time to make the film and I bet they had a few hic cups before the finished product.

Cheers

Tony
Old 01-04-13, 01:53
Andrew

Great clip

Was also interesting watching an associated clip of the germans stealth fighter the Horton 229 and how it performed under modern tests

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaJzKjtjZnY

By the american modern testers it would have been an extremly dangerous and game changing event if they had of swung it in to production earlier in the war
A flying semi stealth jet wing a minimum 30 years before anyone else was taking the design seriously

Custodian of the "Rare and Rusty"