MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 11-12-06, 13:15
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default No. 19 set on EPAY

http://cgi.ebay.com/WIRELESS-SET-19-...QQcmdZViewItem

The mic and morse key pictured are NOT original No.19 set items . The Mic looks like a No. 18 or 11 set Mic .
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 12-12-06, 02:07
David Pope

This guy doesn't want to ship to Canada so I got in touch with him and he said he would for $373. I've had 1000 lb machinery parts sent from the states for less than that! I guess he's just not that interested.
Old 12-12-06, 18:21
FIOR GO BAS

I got pretty much the same reply from him. $375.00 USD or so. I was looking for a 19 set or 18 set for one of my veteran freinds who was a Radio man during WWII.

So far no luck.
Old 12-12-06, 22:39

Default Check out some of the US ham flee markets

Hi Guys

What are 19 sets going for in Canada? They turn up down here every now and then at the Ham Flee markets and old radio shops.

Have either seen the same 19 set with Russian markings in different shops or there are a couple drifting around New Hampshire.

Got a couple of friends who are really active in the Ham circuit and in military vehicles, should I ask them to keep and eye out for 19 Sets?
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 13-12-06, 00:43
Mr. HUP

Default East of Ottawa

Quote:
Originally posted by Pylon1357
I
Hello Pylon East of Ottawa. Would you be interested in meeting the rest of the Ottawa Rusty Old Truckers (ROTters) at a future Gracie's run? It would be interesting meeting you and discussing your projects. Or, if you prefer a less overwhelming meeting, you could contact me by PM and compare notes...

On the other hand, a few of us usually have a good time out at the Hammond Barn on the weekend (Saturday) if you want to meet some of the local colour including the Duke of Hammond, Bob Carriere, his faithful sidekick, Grant, and yours truly, the proud owner of the Metal Mistress or the Hexed HUP.

Welcome to the Forum!
Old 13-12-06, 00:45
Mr. HUP

Default Re: Check out some of the US ham flee markets

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Waterman
Hi ..., should I ask them to keep and eye out for 19 Sets?
Phil,

Yes! I need dummy parts for display purposes only. I have the largest component of the 19 set , and I am looking for all of the other parts including the foot spike for the antenna. Please PM me if you happen to stumble upon some of these gems!

Cheers,

Rob
Old 13-12-06, 01:53
FIOR GO BAS

Default Re: East of Ottawa

Quote:
Originally posted by RHClarke
Hello Pylon East of Ottawa. Would you be interested in meeting the rest of the Ottawa Rusty Old Truckers (ROTters) at a future Gracie's run? It would be interesting meeting you and discussing your projects. Or, if you prefer a less overwhelming meeting, you could contact me by PM and compare notes...

On the other hand, a few of us usually have a good time out at the Hammond Barn on the weekend (Saturday) if you want to meet some of the local colour including the Duke of Hammond, Bob Carriere, his faithful sidekick, Grant, and yours truly, the proud owner of the Metal Mistress or the Hexed HUP.

Welcome to the Forum!
Thanks for the weclome to this forum.

Wow the Hammond Barn. Not far from me at all. PM sent, as to avoid any further disruption of the currnt thread.
Old 13-12-06, 02:38
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Re: East of Ottawa

Quote:
Originally posted by Pylon1357
Wow the Hammond Barn. Not far from me at all. PM sent, as to avoid any further disruption of the currnt thread.
Disrupting threads is what this place is all about, so don't sweat it, mate. THREADJACKER2000(tm) is hard at work on MLU...
Old 13-12-06, 04:04
Mr. HUP

Default Re: Re: Re: East of Ottawa

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Disrupting threads is what this place is all about, so don't sweat it, mate. THREADJACKER2000(tm) is hard at work on MLU...
Did I tell you the one about the...
Old 13-12-06, 15:48

Default Re: Re: Check out some of the US ham flee markets

Quote:
I need dummy parts for display purposes only. I have the largest component of the 19 set , and I am looking for all of the other parts including the foot spike for the antenna. Please PM me if you happen to stumble upon some of these gems!

Cheers,

Rob
Will keep an eye out and have my scouts start looking. If you come across a picture(s) of the type of bits you are looking for I'll start hunting. Strange but Canadian military stuff down here only is attractive to the truly discriminating collectors. Which while I don’t generally find much I also generally don’t pay much.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 18-12-06, 23:11
FIOR GO BAS

The set closed on eBay at $202.50. I am sure had the sellers shipping rates been a little more reasonable, maybe it would have gone a little higher????
Old 20-12-06, 05:16
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default UPS Store Ogdensburg NY

Hi Ottawa Rotters:

Don't let US only shipping discourage you from buying stuff. I get my US based parts and goodies shipped to the UPS Store in Ogdensburg NY (a 22 minute drive for me make it 45 mins from downtown if theres no heavy traffic).

The border crossing drill is straight forward and when you get back to the Canadian side be prepared to pay PST and GST on your purchase. Get your shipper to send two invoices- one for the value of the goods and one for the value of the shipping internal to the USA. If both costs are on one invoice you will pay PST and GST on both figures even though the US shipping was not a sevice received in Canada. The Customs guys view it as part of the value of the item.

Cheers! Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 20-12-06, 15:03
carrier mech

Default Re: UPS Store Ogdensburg NY

Quote:
Originally posted by Gunner
Hi Ottawa Rotters:

If both costs are on one invoice you will pay PST and GST on both figures even though the US shipping was not a sevice received in Canada. The Customs guys view it as part of the value of the item.

Cheers! Mike
If that were the case we would be able to claim $1000 on our home insurance when our housecats are run over. By the time you add up all the vaccinations, flea powder, and catnip, those free critters are worth a fortune.

Surprising customs doesn't charge you tax on how many hours you spend recovering your parcel.
Old 20-12-06, 23:20
Mr. HUP

Default Re: Re: UPS Store Ogdensburg NY

Quote:
Originally posted by rob love
If that were the case we would be able to claim $1000 on our home insurance when our housecats are run over. Surprising customs doesn't charge you tax on how many hours you spend recovering your parcel.
Rob L,

You will have to explain that one to me - I don't copy your gist. Are you just venting about Customs in general, or did I miss your point???

Nonetheless, Mike's point on having two invoices is valid and for those of us who import goods from the NSM, the savings in doing it this way add up to a tidy sum.

RHC
Old 21-12-06, 04:46
carrier mech

The point I am trying to make is that those costs are incidental to the cat, and does not make it any more valuable, just as shipping in the US does not make the item worth any more than it sold for in the first place.
Mike does make a good point with the 2 invoices.... I really don't like paying GST for a service that was effected entirely out of the country.
Old 21-12-06, 19:31
Mr. HUP

Default Seen!

Quote:
Originally posted by rob love
The point I am trying to make is that those costs are incidental to the cat, and does not make it any more valuable, just as shipping in the US does not make the item worth any more than it sold for in the first place.
Mike does make a good point with the 2 invoices.... I really don't like paying GST for a service that was effected entirely out of the country.
...the cat is out of the bag! If you don't like paying for services not rendered, what's your take on service personnel paying UIC and not being able to collect it?
Old 22-12-06, 02:54
carrier mech

There are ways that service pers can collect EI. It just doesn't happen very often.
-If you are a doofus, and they don't renew your contract and you do not receive a pension, then you can collect EI.
-On retirement, I think you can use the severance pay amount towards an EI claim (but of course I didn't hear about this until after I had been retired 2 years)
-If a service member has a new child, they can take the paternity/maternity leave which is 80% funded by EI.

Besides, if the guys who worked steady didn't pay into the EI plan, then how could the guys who do collect every year be able to draw their pogie?
Old 22-12-06, 19:58
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by cletrac
This guy doesn't want to ship to Canada so I got in touch with him and he said he would for $373. I've had 1000 lb machinery parts sent from the states for less than that! I guess he's just not that interested.
Dang! If I'd seen that auction, that radio would be sitting under my Christmas tree right now!

If anyone in Canada wants to purchase something on ebay or wherever and the seller doesn't want to ship to Canada, contact me and I'll purchase it for you and won't overcharge for shipping. I've already done this for two MLU members and I don't mind doing it again. I only ask that payment arrives here before I place a bid as, believe it or not, I got stiffed by one of the guys I did a favour for.
Old 24-12-06, 08:10

I was the high bidder on this unit for several days. Was going to use it as trading fodder for parts I desperately need for my C8,(still need a 13" wheel and adapter badly). How much was this particular unit realistically worth if in Canada, or with reasonable shipping cost added in for overseas shipping?
Old 24-12-06, 16:00
FIOR GO BAS

Quote:
Originally posted by David DeWeese
I was the high bidder on this unit for several days. Was going to use it as trading fodder for parts I desperately need for my C8,(still need a 13" wheel and adapter badly). How much was this particular unit realistically worth if in Canada, or with reasonable shipping cost added in for overseas shipping?
I can only base the price on another I missed out on by 10 minutes. It was in Thunder Bay Ontario. The unit was complete and working with many spare parts. His asking price was $500.00 Cdn, but pick up only. I thought that was very reasonable. Lets see what the others have to say

Cliff
Old 24-12-06, 17:33
David Gordon

Like so many other WWII military pieces of equipment, the No 19 sets and their accessories are really begining to dry up. I've watched the price of individual pieces of wireless equipment really going up in the last two years. Not sure if more people are looking for parts now or if all the vehicle owners have finished the rolling part of their restorations and now have figured out they need to get a radio to trick it out.

Another friend is looking for a complete set, even if not functional. I told him to expect to pay around $500 US with shipping and again, thats non-operational. But we're in Texas and there are not as many places that these sets can be found. The main units turn up all the time but the components are normally all missing and it would cost a mint to complete a set one peice at a time today.

The watch pocket on the set alone sells for $50-75 online, as does the spare valves case when they aren't rusted out. Together they were half the selling price of this last complete set.
Old 25-12-06, 03:44
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default 19 sets

Back in the early 1980's I was buying 19 sets for around $30-50 . As Horsa explains , the accessories are the problem . 19 sets came with an endless array of bits and pieces . It seems to be a never ending job finding all the bits . A guy in italy was selling a huge amount of 19 set stuff a few years back , I had his catalogue here , lots of hard to get items , but his prices were daylight robbery . Apparently , this joker was digging it up from an old lime quarry , it had been buried there in the early 1960's , all sealed up in rot proof wrappings . The Italian army were issued with many 19 sets and they just buried all the spares in this quarry . The stuff in his catalogue was amazing , but so were the prices .

After scrounging for 20 or more years , I had put together a complete set . I did draw up the mounting frame , still have the drawings here somewhere . The clip on grills were steel , the alloy ones you see are for the 22 set . I managed to find NOS B set bases even NOS B set antenna rods .

The Australian made 19 set was made by AWA in 1943 , only a few hundred were built . They are easy to spot as they have a square shaped meter surround , the others all have round meters . AWA used local valves too , the valve lineup is different to other 19 sets , 6U7G for the RF amps and only one IF stage . I had four of the sets at one point . Don't have any 19 sets anymore . I kept a few sets for the trucks and thats it . I got rid off some gems like two suitcase B2 spy sets .

I still have these

AWA 101 , FS6 and No. 11 sets Australian
STC 109 set Australian
E.K. Cole No. 11 set U.K .
SCR 193 - BC 191 and BC 312 USA
Torn Eb German receiver ( in case I find a Kubel .... yeah sure )

BTW reproduction 19 set mounting frames are available from VK5WT in Adelaide , Andrew Tostevin, he made a batch of them .

http://www.users.on.net/~tosty/

Mike
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 03-01-07, 17:12
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Default another ws19

For those that didn't find a 19 set under the tree, here's another chance. This one is in Mississippi and has a lot of extras.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ZR40_W0QQfviZ1
Old 04-01-07, 02:03
Derek Heuring

Default Re: another ws19

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce MacMillan
For those that didn't find a 19 set under the tree, here's another chance. This one is in Mississippi and has a lot of extras.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ZR40_W0QQfviZ1
Thanks for the notice Bruce. I've just bid it up to $300.00 to see who the players are. Badgeaholic is in for a battle!
Old 16-01-07, 03:33

Hi guys. I have discovered a stash of Canadian No19 Mk III sets (mainly just the radio... no power source or other attachments for most of them), No19 set remotes and Type D Mk V field phones that have been stored in a warehouse for many years. Some of them will be coming up for sale and I was hoping that someone here could help me determine what the "going rate" for these items would be in Canada. Any help would be appreciated and you can contact me off line if you don't want to make your opinion public.

Cheers, Steve
Old 17-01-07, 01:52

Depends on the shape they are in. Are they original WWII vintage (ie have both english and cyrillic lettering) or do they have a sticker that notes they were refurbished in the 60's. The newer ones are likely less valuable to a collector but they may be more valuable to someone who wishes to operate one (once getting a HAM license of course). Without headsets, power supply control boxes, cables,variometer or antenna mounts, front guards any where from 100 to 500 or so. A nearly complete set (whatever that means since there were many, many combinations of cables, antenna mounts and other accessories like signal satchel, antenna accessory case, valve and spare parts case, battery hygrometer, high power amplifier, antenna masts, the watch and much more) from 1500 to 3000 or more.

The remotes can go for 100 to 300 or more by themselves if they are in good shape. Sorry I can't narrow it down more but there are variables most important of which is what are people willing to pay. I have seen them on e-bay for over 1500 for a pretty poor incomplete set and a few weeks later 500.00 for a nice rig. The shipping is what seems to control some of the bidding as shipping of a working set is very expensive.

Jeff
Old 18-01-07, 03:41

Well, that gives me someplace to start... thank you very much. If anyone is interested in any of these items feel free to drop me an email and I'll let you know when they become available and give you the prices.

Steve