MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 18-02-05, 03:35
Derek Heuring

Default 1942 Woods tent

I've recently purchased an un-issued 1942 Woods manufactured circular tent, n.i.b. ( new in the bag) It came with what I can only describe as a fly that has two obvious points in which poles could be placed. I can't for the life of me figure where this "fly" attaches to my tent. I emailed Colin Stevens in the event he might be familiar with this item, but he was also stumped. The tent came complete with stamped and dated tent pegs, but unfortunately no centre pole. Any help in identifying where the fly (if that is what it is) should attach and any help in dimensions, shape, configuration of the main tent pole would be greatly appreciated. I'm off to Fredericksburg, Tx. weekend of Feb. 19, 20 to re-enact the battle of Iwo Jima at the Admiral Nimitz museum. Check out the museum's website if you get a chance, we've got about 20 IJA reenactors coming from Japan, their numbers will be augmented by about 20 local participants, a Jap tank, anti-tank gun, a Zero, a Kate, and a couple of blank firing Jap MG's. Facing the Japs will be 14 (yes 14) working WW II flame throwers, a couple of Stewarts, two Shermans, several field pieces, as well as the combined might of the Confederate Air Force with a $10,000.00 pyro budget Should be quite a show!
Old 18-02-05, 20:26

Back in my student days when I worked for a mining company doing exploration, the fly on our tent would be erected over the tent, not touching it. This would provide an extra layer of protection against both rain and sun. If it doesn't touch, there is no path for rain to follow onto the roof of the tent, thus providing a layer of protection against leaks.
Old 06-03-05, 13:25

It would also insulate the tent against cold or heat.
Old 06-03-05, 14:16
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Bell tent

If you peer past the green stuff in the foreground, is that the type of tent you're talikng about? These NZ tents come in two sizes and the centre pole length is supposed to be three-quarters of the diameter of the tent. Your tent may be a different pattern, so possibly check it by laying the tent out on the ground sideways (like a big triangle of canvas) and measure it.
PS keep the flamethrowers away from the tent as old canvas preservatives can make it quite flammable !
Attached Thumbnails
k04-64-2.jpg  
Old 06-03-05, 16:32
Derek Heuring

I took your advice Tony and I've managed to craft a quite serviceable main tent pole from a thick oak banister I recovered from a surplus construction store. It works great! I've included a picture of my tent, it looks very similar to the one in your pic. Back to the "fly" issue again: it's too small to go over the tent...one edge of it is curved at about the same radius as the exterior of the tent which with the fact it has two peaks for what appear to be small tent poles of some sort lead me to believe it's to be installed over the door perhaps. I've done a fair bit of research online but have yet to see a picture with this "fly". In any event, I'll keep plugging away at it and I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually.
It looks like quite a set up you've got in your pic, is that a 3.7" AA gun? There's an air raid siren similar to yours on ebay right now, but with a "buy it now" price of $900.00, it's probably reserved too high for me right now. That plus I'm saving up for a CMP purchase eventually. By the way, where was your picture taken?

Thanks to all for your input!
Old 22-03-05, 16:11
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Bell tent

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
If you peer past the green stuff in the foreground, is that the type of tent you're talikng about?
Here's a pic of my 1942 Woods circular tent:
Attached Images

Old 24-03-05, 10:47

Here this type of tent is normally called a bell tent. The design seems to go back to the Crimean war.
Old 24-03-05, 23:59
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob van Meel
Here this type of tent is normally called a bell tent. The design seems to go back to the Crimean war.
The official name as stencilled on the tent's container is "circular tent" although I've often heard them referred to as "bell" tents. I've even heard the name "haystack tent" although this isn't as common as the other two. You're right, this design had probably been around for decades prior to WW II. I use my tent often and get lots of remarks here in Tx. as there ain't too many of them/