MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Gun Park

Notices

Old 28-06-10, 19:33
Rachel

Hi Rob,

I know he was 372nd Battery, 114th LAA regiment RA - would the service records give us any other information or just confirm this? He does talk about it, although he is a bit vague about some things, and maybe requesting the records might help him remember a bit better.

Thanks Rob!

Rachel
Old 26-11-10, 13:51
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Hayward View Post
My Census List shows various Morris Commercial Cars Contracts that might relate: 'Carrier Predictor AA no 3 SPM' to V3957 that included 'Carrier 40 mm SPM', plus V672 'Carrier AA Pred 40 mm Mk III', and V4497, 'Carrier Predictor AA no 3 SPM' and 'Carrier Predictor 40 mm SPM'.
For more information about the Predictor device see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerrison_Predictor

However, I am looking for pictures of the 'Carrier Predictor AA no 3 SPM', also known as Morris-Commercial C8/P SP Predictor.

Who can help?

Thanks,
Hanno
Old 26-11-10, 21:03
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
However, I am looking for pictures of the 'Carrier Predictor AA no 3 SPM', also known as Morris-Commercial C8/P SP Predictor.
Here is a picture of a preserved example as found on Miliblog:

Who knows of other survivors or has wartime pictures of this type of vehicle?

Thanks,
Hanno
Old 18-09-15, 20:27
Mariano Paz

Hi Fellows
Our Bofors in sanding process to late painting.

We need search a correct tires and wheels, and I need a correct manual to see any drawing about Juhasz Gamma loelemkepzo predictor sight. Our sigth is disassembly a now need assembly.
Regards!

1944 Ariel W/NG
1945 FGT FAT
Old 18-09-15, 21:48
Mariano Paz

After sanding be clean all the parts before paint

Our Bofors belong to the Argentine Army

1944 Ariel W/NG
1945 FGT FAT
Old 18-09-15, 22:52
Mariano Paz

Painting progress

1944 Ariel W/NG
1945 FGT FAT
Old 18-09-15, 23:20
Mariano Paz

1944 Ariel W/NG
1945 FGT FAT
Old 20-09-15, 02:39
Mariano Paz

More pics

Today painting second bofors

Regards

1944 Ariel W/NG
1945 FGT FAT
Old 20-09-15, 02:42
Mariano Paz

Works on predictor sight

1944 Ariel W/NG
1945 FGT FAT
Old 27-09-15, 02:17
Mariano Paz

One of the bofors finish!

Regards

1944 Ariel W/NG
1945 FGT FAT
Old 27-09-15, 09:37

Simply beautiful!
Old 29-09-15, 14:36
Alex Schmidt

Just seen this thread, interesting! have a book about Firestone company history, and it tells all about the development and building of the US made Bofors guns, interesting! will see if I can find it.

Any idea what this on the picture is? all Airborne equipment, but looks bigger then 40mm ??

Cheers,

Lex
Attached Thumbnails
G3L 010.jpg  
Old 29-09-15, 18:40

Welbike,

The photo shows a Mark 4 platform's outriggers. It was a modified Mk2 or Mk3 platform which had the fore and aft girders complete with their axles chopped off, and fitted with tubular extensions so that they could be reconnected to the central part in the same way that the side outriggers were. In this way the Bofors could be split into 2 loads, one comprising the Ordnance, the mounting and the central part of the platform, and the other is the stuff in the photo.

Cheers
Old 01-09-18, 11:28

Hello Mariano,

I am a volunteer at an aircraft museum in England (http://www.shuttleworth.org/) ... we have a 1938 Bofors gun amongst the exhibits. On airshow days we set it up so that visitors can operate it and try and track aircraft. During this winter we have to start some maintenance and also try to reset the sights, which seem to be aimed badly. We are also interested in the corrector that you dismantled, and want to find out more about how it operates. Would you be willing to share your knowledge and experiences with us ? For example, how do you remove the sights ?

Many thanks
Richard
Old 01-09-18, 11:31

Hello Tony,

I know its a long time since you posted the diagram of the sight corrector... bt can I ask where that diagram came from ?

Also, do you know of any disagrams that show the gearing in the axle assemblies that let the wheels 'kneel' and in the bar carrying the sights ?

Thanks
Richard
Old 05-09-18, 12:33

I would like to take a moment to introduce myself and tell you why I'm here....
I am a volunteer with The Shuttleworth Collection (in effect, an aircraft museum, but I should not really call it a museum. Just about all the aircraft are regularly flown and the vehciles we have are regualrly driven and displayed).

The collection has a Bofors 40mm AA gun, which we display on flying days and invite the public to sit on and operate (which is a lot of fun if the aircraft are flying at the time).

We need to learn more about this gun, and do some maintenance on it during the winter.

This is the gun in it's weekday static display position in one of the hangars....

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00122.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	518.2 KB
ID:	102010
Old 05-09-18, 12:42

There are a few things we are having trouble with. Firstly, this is the barrel elevation mechanism.

Name:	DSC00107.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	961.7 KB
ID:	102013

We have a slight oil leak from the bottom of the vertical column. We are not sure if this mecahism is supposed to run in an oil bath or actually be full of grease. It's possible that over time some of the grease has liquified, or that someone put oil in it and then topped off with grease. If anyone has some information about how this is supposed to be lubricated I'll be very happy to receive it.
Old 05-09-18, 12:52

The next problem is the 'accumulator' springs. These are in the two horizontal tubes under the barrel and contain springs that compensate for the weight of the barrel. In our gun the springs seem to be very weak and let the barrel fall under its own weight. We assume that the springs need to be removes and re-tempered. Has anyone done that or know anything about it ?

Name:	DSC00109.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	102014
Old 05-09-18, 12:56

Then there's the sighting corrector. We've worked out what most of the dials do (though we're puzzled as to why it turns around as the gun itself turns). However, we're not sure of the purpose of the white metal horizontal dial that is situated at the bottom. It has markings of 0 to 40 (which somewhat mirrors the vertical azimuth scale that's in front of the operator and goes from 0 to 400). Any ideas anyone ?

Name:	DSC00112.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	632.2 KB
ID:	102015
Old 05-09-18, 13:01

Nor have we worked out what these two controls are. Each knob can turn three times, each has two opposing scales. It feels as if it's some sort of coarse setting for the sights, but we have not been able to set them in such a way that the sights exactly match the barrel.

Name:	DSC00118.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	572.1 KB
ID:	102016

Just for completeness, this is a closeup of the actual sights. We know that the items that look like boxes are the night sights.

Name:	DSC00119.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	497.5 KB
ID:	102017

As I said earlier, any information will be gratefully received ! Many thanks in anticipation !!
Old 06-09-18, 02:58

Richard I have found my copy of a small Finnish manual I have and it is listing that lower dial as a "pysyttimen 7". Google translate is not finding this word so hopefully someone will chime in and translate. I believe the two upper knobs are for zeroing the sights and may not line up exactly with the barrel due to minimum range and bullet drop ??
If you can post your email I will scan in all relevant pages in my manual and send them to you in a zipped file.
Old 09-09-18, 21:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by notenoughtoys View Post
Richard I have found my copy of a small Finnish manual I have and it is listing that lower dial as a "pysyttimen 7". Google translate is not finding this word so hopefully someone will chime in and translate. I believe the two upper knobs are for zeroing the sights and may not line up exactly with the barrel due to minimum range and bullet drop ??
If you can post your email I will scan in all relevant pages in my manual and send them to you in a zipped file.
Many thanks for responding ! I'll pm you my address.
Old 09-09-18, 22:19

Quote:
Like you I cant find a translator that will give me the English for "pysyttimen ", but I've googled the word and it crops up in a number of different contexts.... I suspect it could mean something like 'illustration', 'assembly', 'part number' or suchlike.
Old 12-09-18, 16:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Suggitt View Post
Just for completeness, this is a closeup of the actual sights. We know that the items that look like boxes are the night sights.
Attachment 102017
Slight picky update.... the sights are not specifically night sights. They seem to have been made by a company called AGA-BALTIC and are more properly called Reflector Sights or Reflex Sights. They can be used at night but also have drop-down filters so they can be used in the daytime.
Old 12-09-18, 18:22

Scans sent - if you need any other details please let me know. Still looking for one more reference book (no luck yet) so I will email you if it ever shows up !
Old 13-09-18, 14:50
Mariano Paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Suggitt View Post
Hello Mariano,

I am a volunteer at an aircraft museum in England (http://www.shuttleworth.org/) ... we have a 1938 Bofors gun amongst the exhibits. On airshow days we set it up so that visitors can operate it and try and track aircraft. During this winter we have to start some maintenance and also try to reset the sights, which seem to be aimed badly. We are also interested in the corrector that you dismantled, and want to find out more about how it operates. Would you be willing to share your knowledge and experiences with us ? For example, how do you remove the sights ?

Many thanks
Richard
Hi Richard! Sorry for the delay to replay your mesagge.
I do not have much information to contribute to you, since it is blindly reassembled without having an exploded manual, nor do we know if it is well adjusted. As we only have it as a display, we have not studied the subject of the sight in depth.
If you need other photographs, I will gladly send them.
Best regards
Apologies for my English, it's not my native language.

1944 Ariel W/NG
1945 FGT FAT
Old 13-09-18, 17:36

Mariano,
I know British people who write English worse than you ! No need to apologise ! Yours is fine.

David
Old 14-09-18, 12:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by m606paz View Post
I do not have much information to contribute to you, since it is blindly reassembled without having an exploded manual, nor do we know if it is well adjusted. As we only have it as a display, we have not studied the subject of the sight in depth.
Best regards
Hello Mariano ! Many thanks for replying to me. Please do not worry about your English... I only know about four words in Spanish.
We will keep investigating how our Bofors works and if we find something interesting I will post the information here. Notenoughtoys has kindly sent me some scans of a manual (unfortunately in the Finnish language) but one page does show an exploded view of the corrector (also called the calculator) and I am seeing what I can deduce from that.

Very best wishes
Richard

Best regards
Richard
Old 14-09-18, 12:35

Quote:
Scans sent - if you need any other details please let me know. Still looking for one more reference book (no luck yet) so I will email you if it ever shows up !
Many many thanks for those scans... I'm still digging into them. As far as I can tell, the diagram that shows the dial in question is actually a lubrication diagram. I had to get some help with the translation, but the word 'pysyttimen' seems to mean 'support bracked' or 'retaining bracket', so its not about the function of the actual dial. However, the exploded views of the calculator and sights are very interesting.

I plan to visit one of the museums in London soon to see what manuals they have in the archives for the Bofors gun, so I'll hold off asking for further help on this forum for a while.

Thanks again!
Richard
Old 17-09-18, 11:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by m606paz View Post
Best regards
Hello again Mariano ! I see from your photos that you removed the sights from (the boxes at the end of the cross-arm) before you resprayed your gun. Do you remember what you had to do to take them off ? We have to remove the sights on our gun, so we would appreciate your experience on how to do it.

Also... as far as I can tell, your gun has the same sights are ours. These were made by a company called AGA-Baltic. See.... http://www.aga-museum.nl/page/reflexsikte