MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 20-04-22, 03:54

Default 19 Set Spare Valve Box

Up for grabs is complete 19 set spare valves/tubes box. All the valves are there including 4 "socks" over 4 of the tubes. Some of the paint has come off of the lid (see photos). $125.00 plus delivery. PM me for further info.
And PLEASE...... no comments from members like I went though recently on the Facebook portion of MLU. Run your own ads! Thanks....Robert
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3774 - Copy.JPG   IMG_3775 - Copy.JPG   IMG_3777 - Copy.JPG   IMG_3779.JPG   IMG_3782.JPG  

Old 20-04-22, 14:14

Looks like a very nice American issue set, Robert.

The cloth ‘socks’ and pair of E1148 valves are the clue.

David
Old 20-04-22, 17:13

Default Thanks....

Thanks David for the input. Robert.....
Old 21-04-22, 05:41

Default Question for David......

Hi David

If this means that it is a for a USA mark II set what would be in there for the Canadian mark III as a substitute for the 1148 ......??? and can the 1148 be used in the Canadian mark III...??

Curious as I have some..... in fact I think all my spare boxes have 1148.

Cheers
Canada
Old 21-04-22, 07:23

Hi Bob.

If I remember correctly, the Americans experienced a high failure rate with their early E1148, so dropped the 6K7G spare valve in the outer position of the Spare Valves Box in order to carry a second E1148. On the Canadian side, we never had that problem so just the single, inner spare E1148 was ever carried in their Spare Valve Boxes. The E1148 is a required Valve in any North American made Mk II or Mk III 19-Set.

The American Spare Valves Cases used black, cotton ‘socks’ to cushion several of the spare valves, if the case got a hard, lateral shake. To accomplish the same thing, some, but not all’ Canadian makers of the Spare Valves box used a long strip of black roofing felt wound among the valves to cushion them. You can see this as a heavy black line printed on the valve identification chart glued to the pad in the lid of the case. I think some makers may even have used two strips of the felt.

David
Old 21-04-22, 19:32

Default Valuable info indeed.....

Thanks for the info David........ I have a box or two with corrugated cardboard inserts.... they may have been repacked.
Canada
Old 21-04-22, 20:07
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
Hi David

If this means that it is a for a USA mark II set what would be in there for the Canadian mark III as a substitute for the 1148 ......??? and can the 1148 be used in the Canadian mark III...??

Curious as I have some..... in fact I think all my spare boxes have 1148.

Cheers
British sets used the CV6, VR135 (DET20), US and Canadian sets used the slightly different E1148 which had a lower mutual conductance (gm) figure. R33 (27,000 ohms) was shunted with R33.1A (47,000 ohms) to allow this to work. (If the British valve is used instead, R33.1A should be disconnected.)

I thought the fabric 'socks' were included to protect the operator's fingers if changing a hot (or broken) valve.

The valve carriers I've seen in US and Canadian cases were all stamped metal with sockets fitted. British cases had sponge rubber inserts - a block that virtually filled the case and had holes to take the valves, or a grid of rubberised animal hair partitions. Later cases with /T (tropicalised) suffix had an arrangement of plastic-impregnated cardboard tubes (bonded together) and the valves were supposed to be inserted still in their waxed-paper wrapping (to provide some vibration damping).

The case designs varied slightly between manufacturers, different catches, etc. but were all interchangeable. (The carrier insert would differ according to intended application - WS19 and 22 used the same insert with a different content list in the lid, WS19HP had Case No.5 with a wooden framework that held 4 x 807s, and a drilled wooden block near the lid holding spare lamps and fuses (for the British "Amplifier RF No.2", not the Canadian one).

Best regards,
Chris.
Old 22-04-22, 00:07

Default Thanks Chris......

.....was doing a quick search for available tubes on Ebay....... some of the best deals are unfortunately originating from Ukraine....... some shipping delays expected....!!!!
Canada
Old 25-04-22, 04:07

Default Facebook Marketplace and such.....

Hi all: Sorry Robert B. in answering your question at the first part of this entry. I didn't realize so much could come out of one little box. I mentioned in my ad for the selling of the 'spare valve box", about "comments" from members that really have nothing to do with selling an item on MLU or MLU Facebook. To begin with, I listed the item on the Facebook portion of MLU as so not to "crowd" Bruce Harris who has been trying to sell the same item on the MLU Forum. My feelings were to let Bruce have a go and when his was done...I would step in. In the meantime, I decided to advertise on the Facebook portion of MLU, which Bruce was not involved with. Within a very short time, I had a member tell the face book crowd that he had 26 of these items in his barn. The second entry from another member (different country) puts in an entry that he will give you a FREE spares box if you buy a 19 set off him. Now I ask you....do you think this helps me sell spare parts box? Do you think this helps Bruce Harris? Not in the least. I have never been critical or questioned anyone selling anything on this forum. And if some of you remember, last year when I attempted to offer an FN Rifle to the MLU members, that entry went around the block so many times before one of the members from Ontario STRONGLY suggested that "maybe we should just let Mr. Morrison sell his gun"! I've always been up front with anything I sell, whether it be on this forum or any other venue. If am wrong in the description or validity of my item, which I recently have been and have been corrected, please contact me directly and I will repair the damages. Simple...as...that!
In finishing up, I apologize if I have offended anyone, but my reasoning is something that all of us need to look at, myself included!
Thanks for your time and understanding....Robert
Old 25-04-22, 05:10

Default Great information Robert.......

..... now who the hell has 26 boxes and what is he asking for them????? and who throws in free 19 sets?????

Buyers are free to ask what they want...... your very first add on MLU was very explicit..... this is my price + shipping........ there are always sellers asking for less particularly if they do not know the value of the odd item.... shipping ain't free and crossing borders cost money.....

Deals are always around the corner.....

Buyers are free to shop around................

For similar Money, I always prefer dealing with MLU members....
what comes around goes around.
Canada
Old 26-04-22, 05:22

Default Thanks All....

Well as I said earlier, a lot of info for a small box. Bit of an education curve for all I would think! And your right Bob, in regards to the tubes in the box, I was short one and bought one from a supplier in the USA to complete the set. However like you Bob, I purchased a tube/valve from the Ukraine, Tube/Valve Capital of the World, (before the war started), waited 4 weeks for its arrival, got it and plugged it in and BLAM no more tube. What can I say....G'Damn Russian Manufacturers!!
Robert
Old 26-04-22, 08:08
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.morrison View Post
..got it and plugged it in and BLAM no more tube. What can I say....G'Damn Russian Manufacturers!!
Robert
Booby Trap, but meant for Bob, Bob, or the other Bob.
Old 26-04-22, 17:18
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Well as I said earlier, a lot of info for a small box. Bit of an education curve for all I would think! And your right Bob, in regards to the tubes in the box, I was short one and bought one from a supplier in the USA to complete the set. However like you Bob, I purchased a tube/valve from the Ukraine, Tube/Valve Capital of the World, (before the war started), waited 4 weeks for its arrival, got it and plugged it in and BLAM no more tube. What can I say....G'Damn Russian Manufacturers!!
Robert
More likely to have been damaged during shipping - I've got valves with 'interestingly' distorted internal structure where the package has been thrown around by the carrier(s).

The big triodes for the BC-610 (250TH, I think) are notoriously fragile in this respect - the glass envelope survives but they arrive with internal shorts.

Best regards,
Chris.
Old 26-04-22, 20:50

Default Go figure...

You know Chris, the package arrived with no damage to the box and the tube was packed very well inside. I didn't check the tube over all as it looked fine to me. But it came on for a nano second and then POOF ...it went dead. This tube to buy in the USA is $100.00 plus, plus shipping. The one in Ukraine was $10 bucks. As the saying goes..."sometimes too good to be true!"
Cheers....Robert
Old 26-04-22, 21:57
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
You know Chris, the package arrived with no damage to the box and the tube was packed very well inside. I didn't check the tube over all as it looked fine to me. But it came on for a nano second and then POOF ...it went dead. This tube to buy in the USA is $100.00 plus, plus shipping. The one in Ukraine was $10 bucks. As the saying goes..."sometimes too good to be true!"
Cheers....Robert
Sounds like a heater short.

Which valve/tube was it? (I tend to stockpile spares for the sets I have.)

Best regards,
Chris.
Old 27-04-22, 01:39

Default Not a Military Radio....

Chris: Thanks for the offer, but I think we're talking 2 different radios. The one I'm referring to a Telefunken 5080 and it's the "Magic Eye" valve. I'll dig out the code number of you want.
Many thanks......Robert
Old 27-04-22, 20:23
Junior Password Gnome

No Need: I don't have any Telefunken valves in the parts collection, I'm afraid, so definitely can't help with that one.

Chris.
Old 28-04-22, 01:08

Default Post the number, number of pins....

.....I might have a few.....

They were so nice to help with tuning the station right on!!!!

Wonder how many MLU members have ever actually used one!!!!!

Bob C
Canada
Old 02-05-22, 01:01
Brian Asbury

Going back to the cloth socks: maybe they were to prevent finger prints contaminating the glass surface. Lighting technicians are very careful not to leave finger prints etc when changing high power light bulbs. The contamination may affect the glass. I think halogen bulbs in typical work lights are to be handled carefully too.
Old 02-05-22, 01:27
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCA View Post
Going back to the cloth socks: maybe they were to prevent finger prints contaminating the glass surface. Lighting technicians are very careful not to leave finger prints etc when changing high power light bulbs. The contamination may affect the glass. I think halogen bulbs in typical work lights are to be handled carefully too.
You're thinking of Tungsten/Halogen (Quartz/Iodine) lamps which have an envelope of fused quartz that is badly affected by contaminants (e.g. skin oils) which absorb more heat than the rest of the envelope. The resultant hot-spot can cause the quartz to change to a crystalline form (which is much weaker) and also leak gas. (It can also weaken the envelope and cause it to shatter or explode due to the internal pressure.)

(If you get fingerprints on a Tungsten/Halogen lamp when changing it,you need to carefully clean the contamination off with an alcohol-soaked cloth before using it.)

It's very unlikely to affect vacuum tubes, even the early silica-envelope high power ones used by the Navy, as I don't think they ran nearly hot enough for that to be a problem. (Then again, it must be a couple of decades since I last looked in the Admiralty Handbook of Wireless Telegraphy!)

Best regards,
Chris.
Old 02-05-22, 13:39
Brian Asbury

Thank you Chris for the detailed explanation. It prevents my theory from becoming another mistaken “urban legend”. .. Brian
Old 02-05-22, 17:13

Default And after all that.........

Yes and after all that.....the spare valves/tubes box remains UNSOLD!
Cheers: Robert
Old 02-05-22, 20:51
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Yes and after all that.....the spare valves/tubes box remains UNSOLD!
Cheers: Robert
I can't help with that, I'm afraid, I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic Ocean and about as far away as it's possible to get from you without leaving the UK.

(About a third of the way around the planet, given that I'm at 1 degree West and BC is at 125 degrees West (according to Wikipedia).)

I've also got enough spare valve cases for my sets (plus bulk purchased valves when various people sold off surplus stocks of the ones I might need).

(The skyrocketing price of international shipping is also something of a blocker - I remember importing a couple of reasonably complete WS19s from the US and Canada - I couldn't possibly afford to do that now, with the steep rise in idiot pricing on eBay and the punitive shipping rates (plus probable import duty, etc.).)

Please accept my apologies,

Chris.