MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MLU ADMIN > TAC HQ

Notices

Old 08-02-03, 18:11
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Registration & Benefits

I'm sure one of the first things which occurs to you is the necessity to register yourself in order to post and take advantage of some of the many features of this forum. The fact is, ladies and gentlemen, security on the internet is becoming more and more of an issue all the time. This software is 'state-of-the-art' in terms of protecting your privacy, and it gives MLU full control over all related issues. Indeed, this is as good as it can get for anyone choosing to participate on public fora.

The f.a.q. button on the top right of your screen will answer most of your questions regarding the additional benefits of registration (attaching pics, editing your posts, etc).

The registration process itself is simple, but it does require a valid email address in order to protect us from unwanted guests. However, the forum is configured to hide your email address from others, and there are a tremendous number of options you can select for yourself regarding back-channel communication with others, after you've registered.

When you do register, we strongly encourage you to use your full name as a common courtesy to those with whom you are interacting. While the system itself will allow 'screen names' (aliases), the use thereof immediately renders one suspect in the eyes of Staff, given almost daily attempts by spammers to register and post their links to immoral and illegal sites elsewhere on the internet. We reserve the right to terminate any account the username of which we judge offensive, and if you do register with a screen name instead of your own you will be regularly reminded by MLU Staff that the MLU community considers such anonymity as discourteous at best.

If you have any questions in this regard, don't hesitate to email us; we're always willing to listen.

Have a good loook through the site, then jump right in!
Old 09-02-03, 09:02
Simon Skelton

Cool

Well done Geoff, you have excelled yourself with the new site. It may well take me a bit of time to get use to the navigation but I am sure it will become easier with time I take my CAT hat off to you sir, well done
Old 22-02-03, 18:32

Default THREE THINGS

(1) Given a recent spate of spammers attempting to establish themselves here (mostly being caught and zapped before they have a chaance to post), we strongly encourage you to use your full name when registering, both as a courtesy to other users and for security purposes. Your email address and all other personal details are hidden, so there's no real danger; some of us have been VERY publicly on the internet for many years now, and have had no problem. We are a small but very tight community here and wish to keep our interactions as personal as possible!

If you've registered with an alias and wish to change it, I can do that for you. Email me.

(2) In monitoring the user list, I've noted that some have NOT returned their initial membership email. To be able to post you MUST reply to the message you get when registering.

(3) To potential spammers: Your memberships WILL be deleted arbitrarily and without notice. Your email addresses and IPs WILL be logged, and your ISPs WILL be advised of your illegal activities. THIS IS A BULLSHIT-FREE ZONE. Go play somewhere else.
Old 16-05-05, 05:09

Hello!

Yes, I already registered using a screen name for my username without thinking about what you said about screen names being discourteous. I really do not what to come across as discourteous. I am wondering, should I ask to have my username changed or just post my real name after my posts?

Cheers,

Wolfkin
AKA
Jon Fitzgerald
Calgary,AB,Canada
Old 16-05-05, 07:36
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfkin
Hello!

Yes, I already registered using a screen name for my username without thinking about what you said about screen names being discourteous. I really do not what to come across as discourteous. I am wondering, should I ask to have my username changed or just post my real name after my posts?

Cheers,

Wolfkin
AKA
Jon Fitzgerald
Calgary,AB,Canada
Hi Wolfkin,

Welcome to MLU forum ... it's great to see you and all the new members finding their way here!!! It's a great place on a number of levels. Amazing people in this place.

I've noticed a lot of people use screen names, but are usually personally known to long-time forum members, and people also have a tendency to use screen names, but sign with their real name... or even edit their profiles so their real name is in the signature at the end of every post. Just check out some of the posts and you'll see what I mean

I'm Vets Dottir aka Ma Yappy (I was named Yappy by others in here!) .... I also get called all sorts of other things in here too : but everyone knows who I am ...

Carman (aka Karmen) Sinclair
Old 16-05-05, 10:22
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Names

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
I'm Vets Dottir aka Ma Yappy (I was named Yappy by others in here!) .... I also get called all sorts of other things in here too : but everyone knows who I am ...

Carman (aka Karmen) Sinclair
Pixie what?

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 16-05-05, 22:04
Senior Forum Member

Talking Re: Names

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
Pixie what?
Pixie *itch you deaf buggar........ ......
Old 17-05-05, 06:04

Hello!

Thank you for the welcome!

Carman, I think I like the method that you mentioned about having the username but signing with the real name. That sounds good and seems to be used by a few members. Thank you for pointing out that method!

Cheers,

Jon Fitzgerald
Calgary,AB,Canada
Old 17-05-05, 17:12
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Hello!

Thank you for the welcome!

Carman, I think I like the method that you mentioned about having the username but signing with the real name. That sounds good and seems to be used by a few members. Thank you for pointing out that method!

Cheers,

Jon Fitzgerald
Calgary,AB,Canada
You're welcome

If ever you have any real trouble with anyone in here (unlikely I think, as this place is full of great people) just let Geoff or Hanno know whats happening.

Take Care,

Carman (aka Karmen)
Old 19-05-05, 02:37

Thank you Carman!

I agree, this Forum is full of great people! Just browsing around for a while it seems to me that the members here really are of a much higher calibre than the members of a few other forums that I am also a member of.

Although, I believe that I am going to seriously cut down my time on the other Forums. I have been researching WWII for over 13 years now but I have mainly focused on the German Panzerwaffe, so I visited Forums that dealt with this subject.

Now though, I feel that I should remedy the fact that I have neglected researching the RCAC in WWII. Looking back, I realize that I never should have left this gap in my research, especially considering the fact that it concerns my own country of Canada!

Thank you again for the great welcome!

Cheers,

Jon Fitzgerald
Calgary,AB,Canada
Old 19-05-05, 21:38

Quote:
I agree, this Forum is full of great people! Just browsing around for a while it seems to me that the members here really are of a much higher calibre than the members of a few other forums that I am also a member of.

Cheers,

Jon Fitzgerald
Calgary,AB,Canada

Jon,

Thank you for that, and you're right... these a truly respectable, civilised bunch (in spite of the dearth of Australians... )! I've personally seen what you refer to elsewhere, and yes, it can get nasty.

We've had very few problems over the years, I am happy so say, and may it continue to be so! You're a welcome contributor.
Old 19-05-05, 21:43
Film maker, CMP addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
these a truly respectable, civilised bunch (in spite of the dearth of Australians... )!
Just because we have most of the surviving CMPs...

http://www.oldcmp.net/Images/yotb/YOTB3.jpg

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 19-05-05, 22:11

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
Just because we have most of the surviving CMPs...

http://www.oldcmp.net/Images/yotb/YOTB3.jpg
Bugger, you would have to point that out..

Old 21-05-05, 03:25

Hello!

Thanks for the great welcome Geoff! I am glad to be here!

Cheers,

Jon Fitzgerald
Calgary,AB,Canada