MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MLU ADMIN > TAC HQ

Notices

Old 13-02-05, 02:59
Senior Forum Member

Question Something is Not Right?

Hi Geoff;

A few minutes ago I received an e-mail notification of Karmen's response of 'February 9th 2005 18:46', to the Thread: 'Argyll or Black Watch?", in the WW2 Military History & Equipment forum....? I checked the thread and there was not a new posting??? Whats up with the system : .. its now 20:58 (local) February 12th 2005.

Cheers
Old 13-02-05, 03:16
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Something is Not Right?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
Hi Geoff;

A few minutes ago I received an e-mail notification of Karmen's response of 'February 9th 2005 18:46', to the Thread: 'Argyll or Black Watch?", in the WW2 Military History & Equipment forum....? I checked the thread and there was not a new posting??? Whats up with the system : .. its now 20:58 (local) February 12th 2005.

Cheers
I can't help it if she can't tell time-and-date...

No, there's a few things odd about this recently... I'll have to wait until a minimum of members are online then take the whole thing down and run some checks.

(Karmen MA says ... foooooo TWA Mark=Oh-Oh-oh SOB HBMO )
Old 13-02-05, 09:40
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Something is Not Right?

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
I can't help it if she can't tell time-and-date...
And another thing. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

How come you get ten smilies in a post but the rest of us can't?

R.
Old 13-02-05, 15:21
Dog Robber

Yup, and I already reported this somewhere, I get about one or two emails a day regarding "XXX" has answered a post and find it was several days ago and in most cases more postings have already occured on that same thread.

Who knows, the total amount of posts seems down just a tad in Feb. and maybe Geoff is paying for a certain amount of activity on the part of the site provider. So...it just picks a few random threads and sends us an email. Sort of keeping up it's own post count.

Bill
Old 13-02-05, 17:44
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Murray

Who knows, the total amount of posts seems down just a tad in Feb. and maybe Geoff is paying for a certain amount of activity on the part of the site provider. So...it just picks a few random threads and sends us an email. Sort of keeping up it's own post count.

Bill
Hi ... yes, I've noticed these glitchy things too. Geoff and I were chatting and he wondered something similar about the growth of the forum membership and postings may be effecting the notifications and such. Perhaps he'll be able to fix some of the problems once he can take the forum down for a little while to check things out (when it's very slow in here)

Karmen
Old 13-02-05, 19:38
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Odd things

Saturday morning I looked at the "who's online" to see only myself and 89 guests.
Not sure whether this was a glitch or a fluke.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 13-02-05, 19:50

Default Re: Odd things

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
Saturday morning I looked at the "who's online" to see only myself and 89 guests.
Not sure whether this was a glitch or a fluke.
Not a glitch, Keefy... a lot of members browse without signing in, but aside from that, we've had an explosion of guest visitors this weekend! Hell, there are a total of 92 onboard at the moment... this is amazing...
Old 13-02-05, 19:59
M38A1 CDN3

...and yet, right now, there are 12 member's names listed but the tag line says there are 13 on line.:
Old 13-02-05, 20:09

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
...and yet, right now, there are 12 member's names listed but the tag line says there are 13 on line.:
That's when one of the 13 has elected to keep himself invisible. I see them because I'm an Admin, but the rank and file don't. There are times when three or four "invisible" members are online at any given time.
Old 25-08-05, 10:58

Hi Geoff,

I have noticed for sometime now that when I visit the site as a guest I find I'm logged in as David Ellery from Auckland?

I then have to exit and revisit the site, then log in as myself to remedy this.

Can you please check this out when you get a moment.

Cheers,

Brent Delaney.
BANTAM T3
F60L Holmes Wrecker
AMG M816 x2
AMG M818 x2, M127 x2
5.5 Howitzer
M41A1 Walker Bulldog
Old 25-08-05, 20:16
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Brent Delaney
Hi Geoff,

I have noticed for sometime now that when I visit the site as a guest I find I'm logged in as David Ellery from Auckland?

I then have to exit and revisit the site, then log in as myself to remedy this.

Can you please check this out when you get a moment.

Cheers,

Brent Delaney.
Hi Brent,

I'm sure Geoff will get back to you quickly (unless he has already) about this ... but I just wondered if David Ellery was ever on your computer and you may have cookies that remember his login ID. If so, you may have to remove those cookies ... Geoff can tell you how to do that if you need to.

If David was never on your computer then ignore this transmission, thank you

Karmen
Old 26-08-05, 06:18

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Hi Brent,

I'm sure Geoff will get back to you quickly (unless he has already) about this ... but I just wondered if David Ellery was ever on your computer and you may have cookies that remember his login ID. If so, you may have to remove those cookies ... Geoff can tell you how to do that if you need to.

If David was never on your computer then ignore this transmission, thank you

Karmen
Brent, I'm sure Karmen is correct. It's physically impossible for you to have someone else's cookies on your machine unless they've used it in past. Go into your browser and clear all cookies, and start from scratch. Increase your security settings. You might also want to download Ad-Aware and Spybot and run a complete check on your machine. There could be something REALLY interesting living in its electronic guts...

Otherwise, both your accounts look absolutely normal.
Old 28-08-05, 00:34
M38A1 CDN3

Yes, indeed, Sunray knows what havoc he can play by signing in as himself on someone elses computer, then forgetting to sign himself off!
Old 28-08-05, 00:47
Richard Notton

Quote:
Yes, indeed, Sunray knows what havoc he can play by signing in as himself on someone elses computer, then forgetting to sign himself off!
I have no idea why you added:
"by signing in as himself on someone elses computer, then forgetting to sign himself off!"
That statement is wholly superfluous.

R.
Old 28-08-05, 03:59
M38A1 CDN3

Ummm...Glowworm, I don't quite understand your "superfluous" comment.

Facts of the matter are: Sunray visited me. He used my computer, logged himself in under his own identity just to see what was happening on the Forum. He didn't log himself out.

When, after his departure, I tried to post a message or two, his name and avatar were shown as if it were me.

Upshot is that I frantically contacted Sunray at his home, asking what hell had he done to my 'puter.

Finally, on his advice, had to clear all cookies, clear history and some other nerd mumbo jumbo, resulting in my losing several "Favourites" such as my internet banking site.

All forgiven now, but I was mightily upset at the time.

As an aside, I don't even allow my wife to access this system... matter of fact,I'm off to Toronto tomorrow to pick up a separate computer for her so that any crashes can be financially borne by herself.

:love:
Old 28-08-05, 04:13
Vets Dottir

Quote:

As an aside, I don't even allow my wife to access this system... matter of fact,I'm off to Toronto tomorrow to pick up a separate computer for her so that any crashes can be financially borne by herself.

:love:
Hey, Jon dammit ... were you planning on stopping in here? Because we have plans to be at Geoff's stepmoms early afternoon ... what time will you likely be inthe city? ,,,

(I just tried calling but you're online ... get off the phone!!!! )
Old 28-08-05, 04:15
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623
I have no idea why you added:
"by signing in as himself on someone elses computer, then forgetting to sign himself off!"
That statement is wholly superfluous.

R.
I'll back Jon up on this on Master R. ... as I was here when the troubleshooting calls happened between Jon and Sunray ... and yes, Sunray didn't log out ( and wasn't aware he'd forgotten to) ... which makes me say to all of you, knowing what a drag this can be in lost cookies etc on the used computer, please DO remember to "logout" of whatever sites you visit whilst using someone elses computer.

karmen
Old 28-08-05, 05:11
M38A1 CDN3

OK, all nerd stuff aside...No I can't slide over to your side of the Big Smoke...I'm going to Brampton for the computer, then visit daughter in Caledon, then back home.

If I'd been thinking of visiting you two, I'd certainly have given lots of notice.
Old 28-08-05, 05:21
Vets Dottir

Quote:
OK, all nerd stuff aside...No I can't slide over to your side of the Big Smoke...I'm going to Brampton for the computer, then visit daughter in Caledon, then back home.

If I'd been thinking of visiting you two, I'd certainly have given lots of notice.
I figured you'd have let us know Maybe we can get there real soon to visit you and Betty then, or so I hope, but tomorrow, it's Uxbridge to visit Eileen (who is a great lady and be treated to dinner by her )

(Uxbridge is a gorgeous area!!! We'll detour a little and hope to find some fresh corn to buy, in spite of I heard crops are bad this year. I really look forward to a drive in the countryside. Always do

Take care,

Karmen
Old 28-08-05, 06:51
M38A1 CDN3

Reference corn:

We just had a corn roast at our local Sportsman's Association, as a kick off to the Annual Owen Sound Salmon Spectacular Derby.

The corn was local, freshly picked, and absolutely great tasting.
Old 28-08-05, 07:09
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Reference corn:

We just had a corn roast at our local Sportsman's Association, as a kick off to the Annual Owen Sound Salmon Spectacular Derby.

The corn was local, freshly picked, and absolutely great tasting.
YUM! FRESH Corn with gobs of melting butter and lotsa salt ... sounds like a good time Jon It's been many, many years since I've had corn on the cob.

(as a little preschooler, and gradeschooler too I guess, I used to love tearing a cob of corn off the stalk, peeling he skins off, and having at it... so so so so so sweeeeet! MMMMM... great memories there Being little in the country is a real treat ...
Old 28-08-05, 10:22
Richard Notton

Quote:
Oh dear.
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
Oh deary, deary me.

And some fell on stony ground. . . . . . . . . . .

Simply put and to explain, since it seems to have passed you all over at an incomprehensible altitude; it is my experience that Mr. MLU Sunray, Wallington-Binn, is wholly capable of playing havoc and leaving trails of devastation without the aid of a computer or for that matter any other inanimate or digital device.

I thought you knew this.

And, dear VD/PW,
Quote:
(Uxbridge is a gorgeous area!!! )
You have obviously never been to the real Uxbridge I would think.
http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cg...az&coordsys=gb

R.
Old 28-08-05, 10:59
Film maker, CMP addict

Default LMAO!

Quote:

Facts of the matter are: Sunray visited me. He used my computer, logged himself in under his own identity just to see what was happening on the Forum. He didn't log himself out.

When, after his departure, I tried to post a message or two, his name and avatar were shown as if it were me.

Upshot is that I frantically contacted Sunray at his home, asking what hell had he done to my 'puter.
Hey, Jon

why didn't you have some fun before you called him???

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 28-08-05, 12:40
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
I'll back Jon up on this on Master R. ... and yes, Sunray didn't log out (and wasn't aware he'd forgotten to) ... which makes me say to all of you, please DO remember to "logout" of whatever sites you visit whilst using someone elses computer.

karmen
Jon, you don't know what you've lost by clearing Geoff's cookies! You could have continued to use GWB's ID to access the secret "Officer's Mess" forum and wielded his mighty moderator's power to amend posts. Just think of the mischief you could have created.

And Jon, why on earth would you want to drop in on Geoff and Karmen? That would mean being forced to defrost the Tim Tams!
Old 28-08-05, 15:39
M38A1 CDN3

Keith, Tony:

...what evil lurks in the hearts of men!

Glowworm: Now I understand your reference!