MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 04-12-04, 06:01

Default Number 4 mark I Enfield

Gents

What is the going rate for a mint, complete, Canadian model, never issued, Lee Enfield #4 Mark1, all matching numbers, greased and in its original transit case? Owner wants to know what its worth?

Walde
Old 04-12-04, 19:19
carrier mech

Transit cases were not issued for individual no4 rifles so I would suspect a bit of a set-up. That is, unless it is either a no4mk1*(T) sniper, or a Cno7 .22 cal version. Plain jane no4s came in crates of multiple rifles, I think it was 10 but I can't be sure right now. Mil arms' Alan Kerr makes reference in his displays to a crate of sequential no4s he bought which were imported from Europe about 20 years ago.
If it is truly an unfired rifle, i would suggest the following prices for LongBranch produced rifles:
No4mk1 (pre *) $500-1200 (if such a rifle even exists unnissued)
no4mk1* dated wartime $400-$800
no4mk1* postwar $450-550 (usually 1949/50 dated)
no4mk1*(T) w. chest, scope etc.. $4500-6500
Cno7 wartime or post war $900-1500

The prices on LongBranch rifles only keeps getting higher, and considering what a full wood USED one is starting to go for, the really nice ones are actually a bargain.
Beware of grease, it can be used to hide fakes, particularily where Cno7s are in the equasion. I see more fakes of these than real ones, so buyer beware.
Walde, please contact me with more info on this rifle if you have any.

Last edited by rob love; 04-12-04 at 19:27.
Old 05-12-04, 08:41
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Originally posted by rob love
Transit cases were not issued for individual no4 rifles so I would suspect a bit of a set-up. That is, unless it is either a no4mk1*(T) sniper, or a Cno7 .22 cal version. Plain jane no4s came in crates of multiple rifles, I think it was 10 but I can't be sure right now. Mil arms' Alan Kerr makes reference in his displays to a crate of sequential no4s he bought which were imported from Europe about 20 years ago
Hi, Rob (and others interested in this thread)...

I don't wish to appear as a "know-it-all" with regard to Rob's statement about No 4s not being issued in individual transit cases...but here goes...

My transit case has the original stenciling:

"1005-21-103-1203
Rifle, Complete,
As per EIS 3023
dated Dec 54/
Qty 1
Nov 58 25 COD
Ser No 1L-8689"

BTW, I paid $200.00 for my Long Branch No 4 Mk 1*(mint) in March of '93...the transit case cost me $19.95 from Things Military (Calgary).
Old 05-12-04, 19:57
carrier mech

That stock number (1005-21-103-1203)is for a Cno7 (.22 cal) with a short butt, the EIS 3023 is the checklist for the .22 cal rifle Cno7, and the serial number 1L-8689 would indicate a 1946 produced Cno7 (although there also would have been a 1941 produced no4 mk1 with this serial number as well, it would not have had the checklist schedule 3023 as part of it, nor that particular NSN attached to it)
I have the Equipment Issue scale 3023 (dated Dec 54), in front of me now, which came with my "in the grease" Cno7, and it is strictly for the Cno7 with any one of it's 4 different length butts.
The stencilling on that crate is not origional either. The crates were made in the 1944-46 period, and possibly again in 49-50. NSNs were not adopted until the mid to late 50s. The vast majority of the chests I have seen were repainted the glossy olive green and restencilled at about the same time. If you check the inside of the crate you will notice a paler green color.
I have seen some crates still in their origional markings, but the NSNs were not being used at the time these crates were built. Usually, with the right light, one can discern the origional markings underneath the new layer of paint.
The DND has not sold off it's spare Cno7s for decades but there was a large release of these chests for them in the last 10 years or so. (Any weapons and major parts now have to go to the smelter, any small parts are suposed to be mutilated beyond use)
In todays market, you would be lucky to buy a well used but unsporterised LongBranch Cno4 mk1 for anything less than the price you mention. I paid $450 last year for an unfired No4mk1* (1950 dated) and consider that the bottom end of the price scale for such a rifle. The "Irish Contract" no4mk2s still in the mummy wrap are selling for about $600 in Canada these days, and in my books, an unnissued LongBranch is a far more desirable rifle.
As I said in my earlier post, If someone was trying to sell me a No4 in the grease in its "origional transit" case, I would view that with some suspicion. The only transit cases listed in the Canadian parts manuals ( i have the CFTOs for 1959 and 1990)are for the sniper rifles (4Ts) and the Cno7s.
I have one of the Lithgow made transit chests for the no1mk3 rifles (probobly holds about 20 but I have never filled it) out in the shed, and it is about the size of a small coffee table, and would look silly with only 1 rifle in it.
If anyone has information that standard no4mk1s were issued in individual transit chests in Candian service I would like to hear of it. Quite frankly, the chests take up so much room for individual rifles, I would think you would need a lot more storeage space to hold all the rifles. This is the reason you will find these chests in the garbage cans at armouries; they are a pain in the ass to store and by themselves do not meet the storage requirements for DND weapons, where weapons racks must be made of metal, not wood.

Last edited by rob love; 05-12-04 at 20:26.
Old 07-12-04, 00:45
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
If anyone has information that standard no4mk1s were issued in individual transit chests in Candian service I would like to hear of it. Quite frankly, the chests take up so much room for individual rifles, I would think you would need a lot more storeage space to hold all the rifles. This is the reason you will find these chests in the garbage cans at armouries; they are a pain in the ass to store and by themselves do not meet the storage requirements for DND weapons, where weapons racks must be made of metal, not wood.
Rob:

Lessons learned. Thanks for the info; much appreciated. Your reply has added to my knowledge data base.
Old 07-12-04, 04:54
carrier mech

Jon
I must apologize if I get a little long winded on the Enfields They are a passion (or like what most of these hobbies become; an obsession). Like so many Canadian youth, I learned to shoot on the cadet Cno7s and even then, observed some of the differences between my units rifles.
I only recently added one of the holy grails to my collection; a Canadian no4mk1*(T) with it's matching REL scope and bracket. Now for the hard to find stuff; I need the chest and the scope can.
I see many of the Savage marked and British marked #4s at the various shows and pass then all up. If it's not Canadian then it doesn't go in the rack.
Old 08-12-04, 15:49
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Jon
I must apologize if I get a little long winded on the Enfields They are a passion (or like what most of these hobbies become; an obsession). Like so many Canadian youth, I learned to shoot on the cadet Cno7s and even then, observed some of the differences between my units rifles.
I only recently added one of the holy grails to my collection; a Canadian no4mk1*(T) with it's matching REL scope and bracket. Now for the hard to find stuff; I need the chest and the scope can.
I see many of the Savage marked and British marked #4s at the various shows and pass then all up. If it's not Canadian then it doesn't go in the rack.
Hey, Rob...no apologies required. We all recognize the syndrome!

I just about fell over when I saw the asking price for a C No7 at a recent local gun show.

$800.00!!!