MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 05-12-04, 23:05

Default 19th Field Regiment, RCA

Hey all,

I am looking for information on the Canadian 19th Field Regiment. It was part of the Royal Canadian Artillery (RCA).

The majority of the regiment came from Southern Ontario, Canada. Most came from the cities of Guelph, Wingham & London. It was formed in 1942 & received a lot of its training on the West Coast of Canada (British Columbia). It was than sent to England in 1943.

It was attached to the Canadian 3rd Division for a time, before and for a time around D-Day. It served in Northern France, Belgium, The Netherlands & NorthWestern Germany. It ended the war around the Oldenburg area of Germany.

I was also fortunate enough to have Mark W. Tonner reply to this post on another website's forum (Thank you once again! ) I am still curious though if anyone else would happen to have any other information though.

Any information (facts, links to websites, units it fought against, cities it went through, etc...) would be extremely helpful! Thank you for anything anyone at all can give!
Old 06-12-04, 01:59
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: 19th Fd Regt, RCA

Hi Greg;

Just so everyone here knows what information I passed on earlier to you (CANUCK Forum), I'll post it here again so there won't be any duplication of info.

My earlier response to Greg:

Greg;

Some brief notes on the 19th Fd Regt, R.C.A.:

Serial 810 - 19th Field Regiment, R.C.A. - composed up of:
Serial 810A - Headquarters, 19th Field Regiment, R.C.A.
Serial 810B - 55th Field Battery, R.C.A. (London, Ont.)
Serial 810C - 63rd Field Battery, R.C.A. (Guelph, Ont.)
Serial 810D - 99th Field Battery, R.C.A. (Wingham, Ont.)

Mobilized under authority of General Order Number 438 of 1942 (GO 438/42) - Effective 29 Jul 41, on a Home War Establishment (HWE) for Home Defence, serving under 6th Division, aligned with the 14th Brigade Group, based out of Prince Rupert, B.C. (Prince Rupert Defences) - manned the armoured train which ran between Prince Rupert and Terrace (along the Skeena River) and also manned two gun positions at Tyee, B.C.. On 1 Oct 42, along with 14th Brigade Group, they came under command of 8th Division (Home Defence)(Prince Rupert Defences).

Was redesignated Serial 810 - 19th Self Propelled Regiment, R.C.H.A. under authority of General Order Number
243 of 1943 (GO243/43) - Effective 15 May 43, and was converted to War Establishment (WE) and posted overseas on Active Service, as an Army Field Regiment (Army Troops), departing via Halifax on board the Queen Elizabeth, on 23 Jul 43, arriving in the UK on 28 Jul 43.

Was redesignated Serial 810 - 19th Regiment (Self Propelled), R.C.A. under authority of General Order Number 396 of 1943 (GO 396/43) - Effective 15 Aug 43

Was redesignated Serial 810 - 19th Field Regiment (Self-Propelled), R.C.A. under authority of General Order Number 452 of 1943 (GO 452/43) - Effective 1 Sep 43, being attached to the 5th Canadian Armoured Division

Was redesignated Serial 810 - 19th Army Field Regiment, R.C.A. under authority of General Order Number 134 of 1944 (GO 134/44) - Effective 18 Oct 43, and was attached to the Canadian 3rd Infantry Division in preparation of the Normandy landings.

Landed in Normandy on 6 Jun 44 in support of the Canadian 8th Infantry Brigade's assault, firing in the 8th Brigade's assault from their landing craft on the run in to the beach.

After the fighting in Normandy, they served in France, Belgium, Holland (along the coastal sector) and Germany, supporting various formations under command of First Canadian Army.

They were a component part of No. 2 Army Group, R.C.A. (Army Troops)

Some formations they fired in support of Jun 44 to May 45:

Canadian:

2nd Infantry Division
3rd Infantry Division
4th Armoured Division
2nd Armoured Brigade

British:

3rd Infantry Division
43rd (Wessex) Infantry Division
49th (West Riding) Infantry Division
50th (Northumbrian) Infantry Division
51st (Highland) Infantry Division
52nd (Lowland) Infantry Division
53rd (Welsh) Infantry Division
Guards Armoured Division
7th Armoured Division
11th Armoured Division

Polish:

1st Armoured Division

Serial 810 - 19th Army Field Regiment, R.C.A. - was disbanded under authority of General Order Number 52 of 1946 (GO 52/46) - Effective 16 Nov 45.

Its not a full history, but I hope the above helps.

Cheers

Anybody else?

Cheers