MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 06-11-07, 16:37
Norton WD16H

Default dispatch rider

Hi all,

I am brand new to this forum but after a quick nosing aroud I encountered some familiar names (also Norton lovers ).

A while ago I found a picture on the cover of a "picture post" (august 1943)
I bought the original issue and since then I'm trying to find out who it is, what he is wearing in what division/ regiment he served...
I could figure out a few things:
- canadian 1st infantry division (red patch)
- 48th highlander of canada (red text on dark blue back)
- wearing KD pants and 4 pocket shirt.
- dust goggles
- on his head he has something of a cap (not sure what it is)
NORTON:
- regiments number 57 (I think this is for the 48th highlanders, please correct me if I'm wrong)
- c- number (I'll make sure its a number that goes with my norton)
- Thompson on his chest
- strage canteen strapped on his pannier bag...

For the rest I am staring in the dark...

Maybe someone knows the guy, can tell me something more he/she sees in the picture.
I am a proud owner of an norton 16h and am planning to paint it just like in the picture. And to make the picture complete I'm also assembling the outfit the man is wearing.

many thanks in advance!

http://picasaweb.google.com/bartbousery/DispatchRider

Last edited by north; 11-11-07 at 17:10.
Old 06-11-07, 17:00
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: dispatch rider

Quote:
Originally posted by north
Maybe someone knows the guy, can tell me something more he/she sees in the picture. http://picasaweb.google.com/bartbousery/DispatchRider
He is identified as Private Harry (Hank) McDowell, 48th Highlanders of Canada and was later killed in action in Italy - see the thread on this forum entitled 'For Norm Cromie - some photos of the 48th - 1939-1945' located here

Cheers
Old 07-11-07, 01:38

Hello Bart,

It's a wonderful image. Did you know that Nortons liked the picture enough to use it in their advertising in "The Motor Cycle" of 11th November 1943 ?

There is a higher resolution copy of the picture on the Canadian Archives site where you can see that the full census number is C4681040, making it a machine from contract C12426 - frames from W70001 - W76000 and a 1942 build date.

Rich.
Old 07-11-07, 09:10
Norton WD16H

already a million thanks!
Old 07-11-07, 22:26
48th Highlander

Default dispatch rider

Hi Bart
The dispatch rider in the photo we called Hank. As you already know he was killed December 11, 1944 at the Lamone Canal in Northern Italy. Unfortunately he ran over a mine. I got to know him well because in 1943 I served with B Company of the 48th. At that time they reformed the Pioneer platoon into two assault sections and one tradesmen section. With this change came the brand new Norton. The platoon commander asked me if I would like to ride a motorcycle. Having a great hatred for route marching I jumped at the opportunity. Sad to say after about five months and three accidents they cruelly made me give up my motorcycle. But, oh how I loved those beautiful morning rides in the English countryside. Plenty of gas and no traffic. My affair with the Norton was truly stranger than fiction.
Regarding the hat and the side attachment, I am now 86 so you see it is beyond my memory. His uniform is summer desert dress.

Norm.
Old 08-11-07, 08:59
Norton WD16H

Thanks Norm, its a real privilege to get first hand info from someone who has been there. When my grandfather was 86, internet was very abstract to him, seems like you know your way very well in digital life, many Respect for that

Something else very curious that I spotted on this forum
is the pic with the bagpipe player sitting on top of a vehicle.
On the left side there are 2 Thompsons with their buttstock removed, not a common thing I presume. Must have kicked like hell when firing without shouldering but can imagine it was very handy.
My Thompsons buttstock tends to "feel" too long when I handle it, although I"m a tall fellow.

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/at...p?postid=66582

Last edited by north; 08-11-07 at 09:16.
Old 08-11-07, 10:21

Default .45 Thompson

In the "piper photo", one of the gats looks like it's a "parts only", no handgaurds, butt, mag etc.
And, yes, you can fire the Thompson with the butt off, however you will probably beat yourself up worse than your target. You would be better off just taking the rounds, walking over to the bad guy and manually inserting them.
On the other hand, could you imagine the carnage if those pipes go off?
I don't ever want to have to clean up after a mess like that again!

Cheers

Siol Na Fear Fearail

Wayne
Old 09-11-07, 00:08
48th Highlander

Default dispatch rider

Bart:

It was common practice to remove the butt from the Thompson. My job in the Pioneer assault section was clearing mines and booby traps, so you had to be very mobile. Often times you would be hitting the dirt so you can see what a pain in the neck the butts were. I had no problem firing without a butt as you may see in some documentaries most of the shootings were from the waist.
Age is no hold back for the use of the computer. It has been a Godsend to my wife and I redoing many of our old photos taken over the years as we were both avid photographers. It is also wonderful tool for military history research. By the way my wife is the computer guru she does nearly all the work. See enclosed photo to see her in action.

Norm.
Attached Thumbnails
betty @ computer.jpg  
Old 09-11-07, 00:49
RIP

Hi Norm

Mrs. Crombie is not only the computer guru but must also reign supreme in the office as it is the tidiest one I have seen for a long while. In our ofice all you can see is paper, small research items and dust where the paper isn't. Suffice to say one cannot see any dust. Keep up the good work Mrs. C.

Bob
Website owner - salesmanbob.com
Old 13-11-07, 14:05
Norton WD16H

Norm, to help bring up some nice memories of being a dispatcher this picture of me and my norton.
I am assembling the uniform worn by Hank Mcdowell, when completed I'll post a picture of it.

Last edited by north; 21-11-07 at 17:18.
Old 16-11-07, 09:53

How difficult is it to find 48 highlanders of canada shoulder titles. If you can't, I did some repros for the film Zwartboek, and still have some for sale. (Hint, hint)

Nice picture. And again I see why I collect them Motorcycles and Motorcyclings. But they do not come up often nowadyas. have not found any at a reasonable price in the last two years!

Rob
Old 16-11-07, 12:01
Norton WD16H

Hi Rob,
Nice seeing you here, we once chatted in Ciney about... motorcycles
The 48th shoulderpatches are very hard to get, the only option is custom made.
Thanks for the hint but I've just placed an order 3 days ago with Replicators in India, first time there, I hope it works out fine. In case they are crappy I will be happy to relieve you of some of those patches
Indeed, nice wartime bikes are hard to get in B and NL for reasonable prices, I purchased mine in the UK. Piston was crap and had to redo the cylinder, now she has a standard (was +60) piston and runs like a swiss watch now.
After a 6 months spinn I have to say it was hard to keep up with the traffic, I've decided to keep her of the road and just use her on events or early sunday mornings when the rest is
Old 16-11-07, 13:06
Norton WD16H

I was wondering: Is there a RED SQUARE under the white 57 on the norton of Hank Mcdowell? Or is it painted on the green of the gastank?
It isn't visible on the picture and I want to do it correct...

Last edited by north; 21-11-07 at 17:08.
Old 17-11-07, 01:48

Bart,

Have you had a look at the photo archive picture ? (or ordered a copy ? )

http://mikan3.archives.ca/pam/public...&total_items=1

It looks to me as if the number has been painted over an earlier marking and also as if the tank colour has run due to fuel spillage. I can't see a coloured background.

I'm a bit puzzled because the Norton transfer appears intact suggesting that there hasn't been a repaint (and looks white like the census number rather than gold).

Rich
Old 19-11-07, 14:23
Norton WD16H

Rich,

thanks, much clearer detailed picture. On the original Picture Post that I have they blackened up the picture a bit so many details faded.
I see another motorcycists shadow behind him.

Indeed some gas spoilage mixed with the mediterranean dust makes somewhat dirty lines on the gastank but I don't think its been repainted.
No red square like you mentioned.
The census number, I was wondering, is it painted on both sides of the mudguard?
Other details are his I think blue anklets or are it green/blue putees? I know that the 48th's wore as only regiment blue anklets with approval of King George himself, maybe they did wear them only as part of their walking out dress.
Still not sure what kind of cap he wears on his head, looks like a khaki field service cap, made in wool or khaki drill.

Maybe you can help me out on this, I still need a blackout light/cap but are unable to find one... maybe you or Rob?

At Rob, If there are some re-enactment events where you need an additional norton, I'm your man!
Old 19-11-07, 16:28

Always welcome, bart.

PM sent.
Rob
Old 19-11-07, 23:03

The census number painted directly onto the mudguard sides is something that I've only noticed on Canadian Nortons and seems to have begun in the UK around 1943 ish and then transferred to Italy. Bikes in NW Europe seem to have reverted to the fuel tank.

In all probability, it was on both sides of this bike. Here's another link to a Drive-side photo.

http://mikan3.archives.ca/pam/public...202313,3202240

There are often pattern black out masks on eBay UK for the 6 1/2" lamp. Have you spoken to Ian Wright at Ark Motorcycles ? He's likely to know where to find one.
Old 20-11-07, 10:18
Norton WD16H

what an archive! many interesting pictures in there.

Nice to see that there is proof that DR's did participate in battle!

http://mikan3.archives.ca:80/pam/pub...total_items=1&
Old 20-11-07, 16:37
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally posted by north
Rich,
Maybe you can help me out on this, I still need a blackout light/cap but are unable to find one... maybe you or Rob?
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Payne
There are often pattern black out masks on eBay UK for the 6 1/2" lamp.
There is one on E-bay Aust at the moment. Perhaps the price is a little high (he has no bids yet!), but that might be evened out by exchange rates?