MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 22-10-14, 19:04
Canadian Rangers

Default Shooting at the tomb of the unknown soldier in Ottawa

BTW for anyone that does not know there has been a shooting of a Canadian Soldier at the War Memorial in Ottawa and they are still on lockdown.

Gary
M152 CDN
VW Iltis and M101 Trailer

Old 22-10-14, 19:51
Greg Wright

Default Shooting at the tomb of the unknown soldier in Ottawa

My condolences go out to the honour guard soldier that was shot and killed today at the Canadian Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and also to the family of the soldier who was run over in Quebec.
My thanks go out to all of men and women in the Canadian Armed forces.

Greg
Old 22-10-14, 20:27
Mr. HUP

Default Distressing Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
My condolences go out to the honour guard soldier that was shot and killed today at the Canadian Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and also to the family of the soldier who was run over in Quebec.
My thanks go out to all of men and women in the Canadian Armed forces.

Greg
I'm with you Greg. The police seem to have things in hand in downtown Ottawa.
Old 22-10-14, 21:27

Default We can only express our condolences

What can be said, but to express our condolences to the families and friends of these soldiers, victims of the crazies of our time.

Deepest Respect Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 22-10-14, 21:53

Default Battle casualties

As we all know, wars cannot be fought without casualties among the 'good guys'.
We are now caught up in a war that knows no boundaries, has no easily identified enemy, no discernible beginning and may well be without end.
My generation (baby boomers) has known an unparalleled era of peace and security thanks to the sacrifices of the previous generation. This now is coming to an end.
God bless the innocent and righteous.

David

Last edited by motto; 23-10-14 at 01:15.
Old 22-10-14, 22:52
Frankencarrier owner

Terrible - the war is here. My thoughts and prayers are with the family and regimental family of the slain soldier and the members attacked earlier this week.
Old 23-10-14, 01:07
Terry Warner

I guarded the Unknown Soldier's left foot inside the Hall of Honour of Parliament Hill. Even after the casket was moved to the National War Memorial, I claim that spot as my place of duty. Both had confrontations today.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!

Last edited by maple_leaf_eh; 23-10-14 at 04:18.
Old 23-10-14, 01:09

Default the fallen

Condolences to the families , the Regt families and friends of this weeks fallen members, we must all stand shoulder to shoulder, Lest we Forget,
Old 23-10-14, 02:52

It is a shock to the entire civilised world that a solder doing his duty honouring the sacrifice of those who have served their country and the rest of the World should be murdered in such an abhorrent act.

Nothing can justify the barbarity of these murderous hordes. Their actions have nothing to do with the religion they purport to believe.

Our thoughts and hearts go out to the soldier's family and friends and to the entire nation of Canada. We are with you as brothers and sisters in this the saddest of times.

Diana
Old 23-10-14, 04:10

Default Sad news

Really sad news.....here in the UK we are having issues.....nobody seems to know what to do other than mouth off a lot of platitudes......we are facing a serious problem.....worlwide, our history has made some mistakes, but dealing with a bunch of people that will not and cannot adapt or be reasoned with is going to be very difficult....if not impossible.....I'm afraid that there is only one solution........as they only understand force.

George.
Old 23-10-14, 07:16

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by motto View Post
As we all know, wars cannot be fought without casualties among the 'good guys'.
We are now caught up in a war that knows no boundaries, has no easily identified enemy, no discernible beginning and may well be without end.
My generation (baby boomers) has known an unparalleled era of peace and security thanks to the sacrifices of the previous generation. This now is coming to an end.
God bless the innocent and righteous.

David
I totally agree David but feel that the 'soft' politics since the end of WW2 plus mistakes made by the Western Powers since WW1 have a lot to do with this as well. It is time to end political correctness and treat all these threats with an Eye for an Eye response.

A very Old Testament
Cliff

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 23-10-14, 11:09
MLU Administrator

Can anyone point out a news source which describes what happened?

H.
Old 23-10-14, 11:27
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Australian view

Here's how our national broadcaster puts it.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-2...oldier/5834692

Incredible something like this can happen.

My condolences to those who have been involved in Canada, not just for the events over the past couple of days, but for the loss of the sense of security.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 24-10-14, 05:11
carrier mech

Gordon Yeo asked that this editorial cartoon be posted. Very touching.
Attached Thumbnails
bruce-mackinnon-cartoon.jpg  
Old 24-10-14, 05:42

Default Hanno

Now that all the dust has settled, it seems we were dealing with a single wingnut, with a long history of petty crimes in several parts of Canada over the years. He was not Muslim by birth, but apparently born and raised in a typical French Canadian family. For whatever reason, he converted to Islam and added a Muslim extension to his name and went off the deep end.

If there is a bright side to this situation, it is probably that the Sargent at Arms for the House of Commons has likely saved the country millions of dollars in court costs and internment expenses by emptying his pistol into the peckerwood!

David
Old 24-10-14, 05:50
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
Now that all the dust has settled, it seems we were dealing with a single wingnut, with a long history of petty crimes in several parts of Canada over the years. He was not Muslim by birth, but apparently born and raised in a typical French Canadian family. For whatever reason, he converted to Islam and added a Muslim extension to his name and went off the deep end.

If there is a bright side to this situation, it is probably that the Sargent at Arms for the House of Commons has likely saved the country millions of dollars in court costs and internment expenses by emptying his pistol into the peckerwood!

David
I think it is a little bigger than one nutjob David. There was "one nutjob" two days in a row. While there may not have been conversation back and forth between the nutjobs and the mother ship, the instructions to the nutjobs are well spread over the internet and the media.

Apparently this nutjob was PO'd that his passport application was still under review...he wanted to catch the plane to Syria yesterday. It was also reported on the news that he may have had assistance from others in the homeless shelter he was staying at....more to follow.

The Sgt at Arms was just one of many. Apparently it was a duck in the shooting gallery at the end, and it has not been determined who's shot ended that day's ordeal.
Old 24-10-14, 08:58

That cartoon nearly bought a tear.
Old 24-10-14, 09:20
Tony VAN RHODA

Default The same problem

Hi Guys

It appears that these misguided idiots are taking their revenge on individuals just because the authorities are stopping them from going to Syria to fight. This was also the case a few weeks ago in Australia when a similar incident provoked a similar misguided idiot to attack and stab two police officers and as in Canada he was shot dead by one of the stabbed police officer after he and his partner were both stabbed.

I say let the wankers leave the country to go to their deaths in Syria and as soon as they leave our shores, then revoke their passports stopping their return, that is if they survive fighting in Syria. Saves innocent lives back home.

Well done to the Canadian Sergeant at Arms, he deserves a medal. And our thoughts are with the family of the innocent soldier who was only doing his job on sacred hallowed ground.

Cheers

Tony
Old 24-10-14, 12:46

Default Chronicle Herald "cartoon"

Rob
Thank you for posting the cartoon. The imagery of a dying soldier, at the Tomb of the Unknown soldier, being helped by a figure from the National War Cenotaph is quite extraordinary.
Old 24-10-14, 13:10
metal urgest

There are no words I can convey to the families of the fallen that will lessen their sorrow, other than to say I am truly saddened. And there are no words to use that will show my disgust in what those two sorry examples of humanity have done.

Perry

Last edited by Perry Kitson; 28-10-14 at 01:22.
Old 24-10-14, 23:48
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Rip

Hi All

The photo below was on the front page of the Adelaide Advertiser Newspaper this morning and I thought I would share it with you all and let our Canadian cousins know we in Australia are also sharing your grief.

Rest in Peace, Cpl. Nathan CIRILLO. You will not be forgotten.

LEST WE FORGET

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Scan10245.jpg  
Old 25-10-14, 02:03
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

Unhappy Attack

Only a few weeks ago, the Australian Federal Police, two State Police forces, and Australian Security, from memory numbering more than 800, performed several raids on would-be terrorists. Naturally the lefties jumped up and down declaring it to be heavy handed, a wast of resources and money, a violation of rights, etc etc.
Then a nutjob stabbed two police members, very nearly killing one of them. Then of course the lefties were complaining that our security forces don't do enough, and 'failed'.
Then, my two boys, who wear the uniform of the Australian Army Cadets with such pride, were instructed to be careful when wearing the uniform off base, as it may provoke an attack (?!?). THIS made me cranky!
And now this attack in Canada. To attack a Soldier who was guarding the tomb if the Unknown Soldier is sickening.
I just want to say how sorry I am. It was a senseless act, which makes it even harder comprehend. I hope that the outpouring of sympathy from around the world is some consolation at this difficult time.
YouTube Link
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13
C15A #13 Wireless (incomplete)
Old 25-10-14, 02:49
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
I hope that the outpouring of sympathy from around the world is some consolation at this difficult time.
Yes it is.

I noticed the base near me has now gone to being a closed base, with service pers having to screen all vehicles coming in. No doubt this will be across Canada. More and more bases have gone to the open concept these days, with local civilians being free to enter the base with no passes or screening, for purposes such as visiting the base retail store, receiving mail from the Canada Post outlet which is located on base, or simply visiting the golf course, museum or restaurants located on base properties. So as we hunker down in our homes tonight, with the temps fast dropping, think of the poor buggers having to man these posts on a Friday night instead of being with their family or friends.
Old 25-10-14, 03:55
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

Exclamation Cartoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Gordon Yeo asked that this editorial cartoon be posted. Very touching.
Yep. My nomination for Cartoon of the Year!
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13
C15A #13 Wireless (incomplete)
Old 25-10-14, 09:56
Bluebell

I Concur fully with the last 10 or so posts.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 25-10-14, 19:16

We need to be vigilant for these mentally ill criminals looking to cling to something, anything to make a statement...This was a terrorist attack in name only..we give these people to much credit treating them as terrorists or enemy soldiers...they are petty criminals that want to go out in blaze of "glory". This is nothing new, the only thing that has changed is the reason given...the perversion of a peaceful religion for political gain. Now the media have a new word "radicalized" . The buzzword for the new (next?) "War on Terror". Now we will line up to hand over the rest of our civil liberties, the few we have left, in order to be "safe" from "Terror". I was saddened by the fool who heads the RCMP immediately calling a press conference to assure the country they had over 400 "assets" at work in Ottawa...the video of all the cops running around with assault rifles, helmets and Oakley sunglasses...except you were a day late...maybe if we allow them to intercept all of our cell phone calls, emails, read our letters and bug our homes we will catch the next nut who decides to gun down our soldiers, cops or children...sadly we will not, and living in fear and allowing our country to be turned into a police state means we have already lost the "war". Just my two cents.
Old 25-10-14, 22:47

There is a great deal of truth in what you say jdmcm. It has been said in past that 'patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel'. Substitute 'religion' or 'ideology' for patriotism, and you are spot on for some of the participants but certainly not the majority. To write them all off as petty criminals or mentally ill is to miss the point.
Australian citizens taking part in the what is happening in Syria and Iraq are estimated, I believe, to be around 160. I would think the majority of them would have no criminal record, they are merely committed to the cause.
In another indication of where allegiance lies.The fellow who stabbed the two police officers here before being fatally shot had an enormous turn out at his funeral. A show of solidarity for the family or a send off for a martyr/hero? I don't know.
All I do know is that had he been caucasian the attendees at his funeral would fit in a telephone box. Nobody would wish to be associated with him.
Yes, I too deplore the increasing level of surveillance and loss of our freedoms and concur that some of it is over-reaction but make no mistake the stakes are extremely high. If these people ever get their hands on nuclear materials you will find out just how high. I'm not an alarmist, I'm just extrapolating from what has happened so far.

David

Last edited by motto; 25-10-14 at 22:52.
Old 26-10-14, 07:31

You make a lot of sense David. Well put.
Old 26-10-14, 10:51
MLU Administrator

I am sorry to hear what happened and convey condolences to the family of Cpl. Nathan CIRILLO.

To the members of MLU, I would like to ask you not to indulge in politics as this forum is for discussing military history only.

Thank you for your consideration.

Hanno Spoelstra
MLU Administrator
Old 26-10-14, 13:29

Default We lost two good men last week

My friends,

Fate has it that i was on military duty in Saint-Jean Québec on monday and Ottawa Ontario on wednesday of last week.

These are days of infamy and will be remembered forever.

The Canadian Armed Forces lost two good men and one is recovering.

They served their country well.

We shall remember them.

Robert
94 LSVW