MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 04-08-11, 16:38
1985 Bombardier Iltis

Default Which parts fit on Iltis?

I was wondering to start a thread about which other makes have same parts installed on Iltis?
For example, the top catchers are the same as on the thing, etc.

-sun visor retainers- vw thing
-sun visor - vw thing
Old 04-08-11, 21:54
AKA Richard Law

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...portRows&tbl=1

A great list in that link!
Old 04-08-11, 22:06
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_Law View Post
Young Law..That is a members only link and who would want to have an Ill-as-it is...LOL
Old 05-08-11, 01:59
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Fedak View Post
Alex, thanks for your interest and support of the youngest CMP........ the Bombardier Iltis.......... perhaps you would like to buy one?

Cheers!
Stuart
Not really sure how the Iltis could claim that: the LSVW was built 9 years later and was also a canadianised European model, as was the HLVW (although less Canadianised, and unlike the Iltis and LSVW, is a success).

To me the Iltis and the LSVW represent the dark days of the 80s and 90s, where we were turned into an austere (read cheap) army that went into war like situations in soft skin B vehicles with little regard for the lives of the crew members in them, rather than some milestone in Canadian military production history.
Old 05-08-11, 04:18
carrier mech

Quote:
Rob, thank you for the correction.........

How about the Iltis is the youngest CMP that is in the hands of collectors and that can be legally driven on the road.............?

Cheers!
Stuart
Or we could call it a MFP: Modified Foreign Pattern. Other than having been another overpriced cash cow for Bombardier, there was not a lot Canadian about them.
Old 05-08-11, 05:12
3RD ECHELON WKSP

I agree whole-heartedly with you Rob...
It does speak volumes though about the tenacity (read toughness) of Canadian soldiers as a group. The world see the likes of Navy Seals, Green Berets, 101AB, USMC etc as the "elite", but one on one, the Canadian soldier is better able to overcome and adapt to what he/she is given to work with. History does not lie...

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 05-08-11, 10:43
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Quote:
The Thing shares most/many of the same parts of the windshield and windshield parts. The windshield motor on The Thing is 12 VDC, while the Iltis is 24 VDC. Many of the engine items are typical VW rabbitt/jetta engine parts. The Yahoo Iltis group has a good cross reference list. The best source for this IMHO is on the Yahoo Iltis group, as mentioned. No use having duplicate information...........

Alex, thanks for your interest and support of the youngest CMP........ the Bombardier Iltis.......... perhaps you would like to buy one?

Cheers!
Stuart
Stu..
youngest CMP...????
Surely you jest...!!
There is nothing Canadian about them..other than they were built under license here ..Originally a Volkswagen design, the Iltis uses components from the Volkswagen Polo and Audi Quattro vehicles.
In October 1981, Volkswagen AG of Germany agreed to cede and transfer to Bombardier Inc of Canada the design and manufacturing technology of its Iltis (4 × 4) 500 kg light vehicle as used by the German Army. The agreement also granted to Bombardier the worldwide rights for the marketing, sale and distribution of the Iltis, as well as the rights to manufacture and market the civilian version.
And no I don't want one but for those that like and own them that is good..for them to enjoy,but by no stretch of the imagination are they a Canadian Military Pattern Vehicle.
Old 05-08-11, 13:23
Mr. HUP

Default Cmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Blair View Post
Stu..
youngest CMP...????
Surely you jest...but by no stretch of the imagination are they a Canadian Military Pattern Vehicle.

Alex, I agree in that we should not be calling an Iltis a Canadian Military Pattern vehicle. Canadianized Military Pattern may be more appropriate. In any case, my hat is off to those who restore and drive them. Love them or hate them, they were used by the CF and have their place in history.

I can't say I disliked them. When they were first issued to 2RCHA in Petawawa, we were happy to see them. Our jeeps (in fact all of the vehicles in Pet) were worn down despite the immense efforts of our maintenance wizards, so something new was readily accepted.

My new Iltis performed brilliantly for the three months I spent out west on Ex RV85. Yes there were issues - lack of space once the dual installation was set up, but I also had a trailer. You had to be like Olga Korbut to get in and out of the back doors, and you needed ear plugs to keep you from going crazy while driving on highways (tires and rear diff tended to scream at you). It could also navigate terrain that the 5/4 ton trucks couldn't, so you had to make sure your recce/route selection accommodated that fact. The most annoying thing about the little truck was its "grunting" when being flexed over rough terrain. Iltis users will know what that means.

As a non-maint type my perspective will of course differ from the wrench benders' perspective. When I needed an Iltis, the army kindly sent one and we put it through its paces. At the end of the exercise, the truck got cleaned (usually at the tank wash rack) , user maint was perfromed and then the truck was turned in. All the other maint was for the most part invisible to us operators with the exception of ire of the Tech Adjutant at post ex "O" Groups. But that is another story...

From 1985 (Iltis delivery to CF) to 1997 (my release from the CF), I can not say that I had a major problem with the Iltis - and I do have a good amount of time as the front pax in the Iltis. All in all, I liked the dopey looking VW, and if time and circumstances permit, I probably will get one (or two). Then I will call it what ever I want to call it.

Keep them going!