MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 15-09-03, 11:54
Vets_Dottir

Default CBC doing WW2 Documentary

I found this while checking CBC site tonite. I thought I'd pass it along to you. CBC is doing a WW2 documentary and is calling/asking for footage and diaries/stories.

http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/canadaswar/index.html

take care, Yappy
Old 15-09-03, 21:38
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Yap films

This is the thread that began the search here and I can't think of a researcher with a better handle than Little Miss Yappy! Rebecca Ruddle is the researcher who put in a recent request for material.
I've corresponded with her - I'd love to do a similar project here.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 15-09-03, 22:45
Vets_Dottir

Default Re: Yap films

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
This is the thread that began the search here and I can't think of a researcher with a better handle than Little Miss Yappy! Rebecca Ruddle is the researcher who put in a recent request for material.
I've corresponded with her - I'd love to do a similar project here.
"YAP" Films!!! Hmmm

Thanks Keith... I obviously didn't read that thread by Rebecca. I haven't been in here much lately, or for long. Have been distracted by other things. Anywise, I love the whole idea of this documnetary and I think that would be awesome if you did similar there!!! I hope you do! YAPPY
Old 16-09-03, 01:28
Art Johnson

Default Given the CBC's record

Sure as hell they will screw it up with their PC attitude. I have been involved with Alan Able in this sort of thing and I must admit he did a good job. But when you think of the McKenzie brothers it makes me shudder. The BBC contacted me about an incident in WW I when my answers didn't match up with their preconceived notions they just dropped it. We must stand up to protect our Veteran's reputations and not let them be sullied by the current PC attitude.
Old 16-09-03, 02:36
Vets_Dottir

Default Re: Given the CBC's record

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Johnson
Sure as hell they will screw it up with their PC attitude. I have been involved with Alan Able in this sort of thing and I must admit he did a good job. But when you think of the McKenzie brothers it makes me shudder. The BBC contacted me about an incident in WW I when my answers didn't match up with their preconceived notions they just dropped it. We must stand up to protect our Veteran's reputations and not let them be sullied by the current PC attitude.
Hi Art An objective presentation of SIMPLE FACTS how history really happened would be nice. I hate censorship or rewriting history to make it more palatable or acceptable or influential. If it "was", it "was" dammit! Thats all!!! If our Vets reputations have been wrongly sullied etc, I want the truths that prove that ... and so on. I hope this documentary is a good one!

Thats my 2 cents worth Carman
Old 16-09-03, 05:34
Art Johnson

Default CBC

Hey Carman give me a break I'm not the enemy but my experience with the CBC since 1980 has not been good. I am all in favour of everything coming out but I don't want some donkey who has never been there telling me this is how it should have been done when he wasn't there. It is OK to make comments when you were there when the shit was flying but when you don't know what your are talking about maybe you should let it lay. I refer you to George Blackburn's book The Guns of Victory, In which he says ( and I'm parafrasing) " I don't know how these men could get up from their slit trenches and face that malestrome every day". These are the guys who fought the war not the Generals it was a section leaders war. The guys who won the war are your next door neigbour who doesn't want to talk about it not some CBC reporter who wasn't even born when the event occured.
Old 16-09-03, 08:14
Vets_Dottir

Default Re: CBC

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Johnson
Hey Carman give me a break I'm not the enemy but my experience with the CBC since 1980 has not been good. I am all in favour of everything coming out but I don't want some donkey who has never been there telling me this is how it should have been done when he wasn't there. It is OK to make comments when you were there when the shit was flying but when you don't know what your are talking about maybe you should let it lay. ..... The guys who won the war are your next door neigbour who doesn't want to talk about it not some CBC reporter who wasn't even born when the event occured.
Hi Art,

Hmmm... I'm sorry if my words weren't clear and you got the wrong impression. My communication really sucks sometimes! I'm with you on this one!!!

What you say about letting things lay when you weren't there etc I think is bang on right! That was actually one of my thoughts when I wrote about liking the facts as they really happened. I know the best source for facts is from the guys and gals who were there and KNOW. They actually walked the walk. I want to hear their voices and stories. I really hope that the CBC documentary is "good" in the sense that its a simple presentation of facts, not presumptions assumptions and that any stories they tell are from the perspective of the people who were there. I'd be really upset to see that our vets were made to look bad at all.

I have to go now but I hope you understand that I meant nothing negative and don't condone sullying anyone, in my last message Take care, Carman