MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 18-04-08, 23:53
Steve

Default One of the two Australian Army Weasels recovered

(I posted this on G503 but thought you MLU folks might be interested too)
G'day all,
Whilst the M29 Weasel might be a common sight in the US and Europe, here in Oz it has always been a very rare vehicle. To my knowledge the current half-dozen or so in the country are all post-war imports.

Even rarer were the Weasels owned by the Australian Army. The records show they only ever had two, both stationed at Bandiana, Victoria from July 1945 to disposal in early 1946. They were both early narrow-tracked T24s. Copies of army memos I have show that they were to be sent to Monegeeta for evaluation when the war ended and the pending tests were cancelled.

Here is a photo of one of them at Bandiana 1st Army Ordnance Vehicle Park, taken in that time frame. The Australian Registration Number (ARN) 139999 is clearly visible. (I gather the 9999 suffix was applied to test vehicles as the prototype australian tracked truck had a similar nomenclature?) For interest's sake in the far background can be seen the Thornycroft/Morris Terrapin amphibious truck that is still in existence:

Well this Weasel has been found and recently recovered by John Wilson and myself, although we did not confirm its army provenance until afterwards. The following photos show the above, sixty-three years later. You can see how bad a shape it's in. The hull has been cut away at the back, the bogies were replaced with a home-made arrangement using Snow-cat tracks and sprockets and the orginal motor and gearbox had been swapped out for a Holden donk. The hull floor had large holes cut which actually saved it from further rusting, so the main hull hat channels are in good shape. The serial and hull numbers are unknown.

At present only the right-side ARN stencilling has been uncovered. It appears to have been stencilled twice, the upper numbers have a round-top '3' and the older marking shows the flat-top '3' as seen in the 1945 photo:

Although it is a possibility. there are no immediate plans to restore it as I have another early T24 Weasel similar to this one but in far, far better condition which I'm currently working on, plus an M29C Water Weasel I co-own with John Wilson to be done following that. Our aim is to bring them to Corowa and Canungra some day.

Still it is an ultra-rare piece of australian army vehicle history and I think I can say without exaggeration that it is a truly unique find!

I would like to thank Ray from the Bandiana Army Museum as well as GPA fanatic Ian Grieve for the information they supplied leading to its eventual discovery, and also Ian Fawbert for locating its ARN record at the AWM.

Steve Malikoff.

Last edited by Snowy; 20-11-09 at 00:26. Reason: Thornycroft Terrapin, not Leyland! :doh:
Old 19-04-08, 00:11

Steve, great find, but what a project....

What are those fitments on the side of the hull in the original picture? I don;t think I have ever seen those on T24's or M29's before.

Alex
Old 19-04-08, 00:13
Steve

A couple more photos as there seems to be a 10 image limit per post

Steve.
Old 19-04-08, 00:50
Steve

Alex,
That is a good question. According to Crismon's Tracked (p.215) they relate to 'some classified tests carried out at Aberdeen'. I don't know what they were. They might be for a parachute harness but I think I read somewhere it might have been for crevasse detecting equipment. We recovered one of these side plates with this Weasel with the remains of the camouflage across it, it is very heavy so no wonder they were removed.

By the way, on the wonderful RealMilitaryFlix website there are a couple Weasel films, one shows a T15 being air dropped from a C-54.

Steve.
Old 19-04-08, 12:33
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default one in Victoria ?

Apparently, this example lives down here in Victoria somewhere . The pic was emailed to me by a local VMVC member . I've seen old footage of them being used by ANARE ( Australian Antartic division ), down at the Antartic bases , during the 1950's . I think one or two were used in the NSW snowy mountains ski fields many years ago.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
weasal.jpg  
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 19-04-08, 22:40
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Although it is a possibility. there are no immediate plans to restore it as I have another early T24 Weasel similar to this one but in far, far better condition which I'm currently working on, plus an M29C Water Weasel I co-own with John Wilson to be done following that. Our aim is to bring them to Corowa and Canungra some day.

Still it is an ultra-rare piece of australian army vehicle history and I think I can say without exaggeration that it is a truly unique find!
Steve, congratulations on your find! Even though it is unique, if you ever restore it, how much of it will be from the true ARN 139999? It the same with many warbird restorations, only a small percentage of the WW2 aircraft parts from a wreck go back into the sky. I'd consider preserving it as such and display it with its known history. My €0,02 worth, anyway. . . .

Regards,
Hanno
Old 21-04-08, 01:16
Steve

Mike,
Yes, I was aware of that one, a small photo of it appeared in 'Wheels and Tracks' some years ago as being in Victoria but this is the first colour photo I've seen of it, thanks for posting! Do you know who owns it - I would like to get in contact if possible?

ARN 139999 and its sister were disposed of to the ski chalets and I have a photo of both of them on the slopes, interestingly the ARN had been painted out but since both T24's had slightly different camo patterns (the early Weasels came standard from the Studebaker factory in three patterns) I could positively identify it.

Other Weasels were imported for the chalets in 1952-53 that appear to have all been M29C's. I have some photos on one of my websites showing these being used around Thredbo. They stripped the military parts; John Wilson and I investigated and we have been lucky enough to find some of them. For instance the rudders and front and rear flotation tank panels were removed so skis could be carried. I was told recently that there were some more that were imported in the 60s, to our knowledge only one of them survives and is owned by John.

As for the ANARE Weasels, a few very mangled M29C wrecks were brought back from Antarctica in the mid 1980s. They too eventually went to the scrapper but parts of them were used for the restored ANARE Weasel at the AAD in Hobart (it used to be in the foyer but I heard it is no longer on display(?)

(more photos at http://web.aanet.com.au/malikoff/weasel/anare.html )

Hanno - ARN 139999 really is in bad shape. Even the central bulkhead has been cut out Curiously the parts I would need the most for it are the bogie spring packs, sprockets and idlers which i would need to import (again!) - I'm in the unusual position of actually having sufficient numbers of good 15" tracks for both the one I'm working on now as well as 139999, and enough other NOS 15" grousers for a third complete set. It's the 20" track that we're looking at rebuilding for the other two M29Cs. Not a trivial job as any Weasel owner would tell you

Steve.

Last edited by Snowy; 21-04-08 at 01:20. Reason: afterthought :)
Old 21-04-08, 15:03

I believe they used a few Weasels in the Snowy Hydro Electric Scheme. Besides, I have one for sale if you are interested. See the "for sale" section for more details.
Attached Thumbnails
Weasel 1.JPG  
Old 21-04-08, 15:55
Steve

G'day Chris,
Do you have any further details on these Snowy Hydro ones? I'm always looking for any Oz-related Weasel info. With four Weasels to be restored between me and John we've got our hands full, besides I think my wife would kill me if I acquired another

Steve.
Old 22-04-08, 10:36

I understand but I have something you guys don't - good working tracks!
Old 23-04-08, 14:48
Steve

I have these which would be one of the best condition sets of Weasel track anywhere (excluding NOS) and also these which are in very good shape. As well as a set of NOS grousers for 5th and 6th tracks. And we have replaceable road pads and bands in the works. So there's plenty of good track available to us
BUT
getting back on track (no pun intended) on this thread, here is the only photo I have of the second of the two Australian Army Weasels at Bandiana AOVP 1945, with the same lady driver standing alongside it and an unidentified truck thingy. You can see the different stock Studebaker factory camouflage pattern on the front. ARN unknown. Apologies for the very poor quality photo, I've tried to digitally enhance it but it's still not the best. I have an idea of the fate of this vehicle (I think).

Steve.
Old 24-04-08, 02:33
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Aec Acv ?

The unidentified truck looks like maybe a AEC armoured command vehicle ?

http://aec.middx.net/pix/acv1a.htm

Mike
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 29-05-08, 02:11
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Weasel on Mt. Kosciusko

Found a book yesterday at the local op shop. ' THE AUSTRALIAN SNOW PICTORIAL' published in 1952 ..... A weasel is pictured with a load of skiers on board, Mt Kosciusko. Another pic of it ..it's towing a skier along . I'll try to get the scanner working again soon.The weasel still has its camo paint job .

op shop = opportunity shop .. usually run by a charity .. second hand goods are donated , then sold ..typically 1970's TV's and such .

Mike
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 29-05-08, 15:23
Steve

G'day Mike,
I would like to see that photo very much, and thanks for thinking of this thread when you found the book . Since you mention it's in camo, it may be either the one we've just found, or its sibling perhaps? I haven't seen any pictures of the Thredbo M29Cs in other than standard OD so I'm hoping it is
Here are a few M29C's in Thredbo during the late 50s / early 60s: http://202.63.50.228/gallery2/main.p...g2_itemId=1039

We've decided that this Weasel is of such historical interest (being the only wartime aussie Weasel in existence) that we're starting the long drawn-out process of acquiring a complete set of running gear (windscreen frame, spring packs, bogies, idlers, sprockets, swingarms, return rollers etc.) ex-USA for it. We have located a fabricator who can reproduce the rolled cockpit coaming edging. I already have a second set of 15" tracks ready, so for once in the Weasel world this is not an issue. Which brings me to the question - if anyone can offer advice or a reasonable deal on shipping parts US-Oz (landed Brisbane preferably, or Sydney) then I'd like to hear from you

Steve.
Old 29-01-09, 03:26
Steve

G'day all,
Just a quick note about where we are up to with this historic vehicle. All the extraneous metal added to the hull has been removed. This added up to maybe a few hundred kg, mainly in the form of a bolted-on angle iron chassis and bogie assembly to support the Bombardier tracks that had been fitted post-war. The Holden donk and box has gone and the remains of the hull now under cover (and out of the hot sun!) in preparation for grafting the top and back part of the other hull. The Studebaker Champion motor has been looked at and apart from needing a new oil pickup and water pump rebuild, appears to be in great shape. All of the 8 control rods had been modified (either extended or reduced) so they have been cut and shut back to their original lengths.
There is a huge amount to do before the Amphib 2009 Swim-In in June but we hope to be able to have it running and ready for some fun. That's the plan, anyway.

Steve.
Attached Thumbnails
1.JPG   2.jpg   3.JPG   4.JPG   5.JPG  

Old 29-01-09, 03:28
Steve

A couple more pics
Attached Thumbnails
6.jpg   7.JPG  
Old 29-01-09, 06:45

Hi Steve and what a great project. I'm sure you will have it drivable for corowa.
Good luck with your project.
Colin.
Old 29-01-09, 06:59
Steve

Colin,
John and I hope to get our four Weasels to Corowa one year. Sadly it won't be this one The Walker's/MJCQ Bundy Swim-In is easier for us, logistics-wise. If that goes well, ARN 139999 should also be making an appearance at Canungra this year.

Oh by the way I must publicly thank Ian Fawbert for a brilliant chance discovery about this vehicle and its sibling when he was doing research at the AWM last October. We now know the serial number of this and the other Weasel, as well as the other's ARN. This was in some very interesting info regarding the army testing, and what happened. Good work Ian!

Steve.

Last edited by Snowy; 29-01-09 at 09:24.
Old 08-03-09, 14:30
Steve

Well it looks like some of this Weasel will make it to Corowa this year after all.... If you happen to see a pair of unusual-looking tracks on the back of a ute there, wonder not, for they are for this rebuild . They are doing a round trip and just 'passing through' Corowa to their destination. If they look a bit rough you're right, they are a knockabout set, I have a much better pair for the other T24.

Here are a few more photos of how the project is going. All the hull and engine work is being undertaken by John. Firstly, after cutting out dead metal, the large holes in the bottom of the hull are being repaired.

By sheer luck one of the cut-out panel pieces (with the engine oil drain hole plate) was recovered miles from where the vehicle was found, and many decades after it had been cut out with a gas axe. It has now been reunited back into the hull (see attached). John has also rebuilt the area under the final drive and is doing a really marvellous job. He's also rebuilt the carby and water pump in the meantime too.

The return rollers have been rebuilt using NOS wheels. I had to patch one of the damaged roller brackets and replace a few roller bearings etc. The control rods are finished as well.

More photos soon. ARN 139999 is coming back to life

Steve.
Attached Thumbnails
final_drive_out.JPG   guidewheels.jpg   T24_guide_wheels_1.jpg   carbrebuilt.jpg   hulljig.JPG  

Last edited by Snowy; 08-03-09 at 14:46. Reason: typo
Old 08-03-09, 14:35
Steve

Here's the panel that was cut out, now back in
The gearbox crossmember had massive steel channel bodged in for the Holden donk and box, now that's all gone and back to the way it was. Also the original engine heater bracket has been put back.
Attached Thumbnails
panelreplace1.JPG   panelreplace2.JPG   panelreplace3.JPG   transxmember.JPG   transxmember2.JPG  

Old 08-03-09, 14:42
Steve

The area under the final drive has been redone. The curved part of the hull is about 3mm thick and the only way for John to remove the dents was to cut it out, work the panel on an anvil and then zap it back in. He also fixed a hole cut through the hull for the Holden motor exhaust pipe, and a few other holes too.
He's added a common modification that Weasel restorers do - a drain plug in the hull to allow the final drive to be emptied without turning the inside of the vehicle into an oily swimming pool
Attached Thumbnails
fdarea1.JPG   fdarea2.JPG   fdarea4.JPG   fdarea6.jpg   fdarea7.jpg  

Old 14-03-09, 00:37
Steve

Work is progressing on the Weasel and John is on to rebuilding the sponsons. There are a dozen different sizes and types of hat channel section in a Weasel, and to speed things up for the June Swim-In we had a number of those folded up along with the sponson panels at a metal shop in Toowoomba.

The sponsons are being built as complete assemblies before being added to the hull. He's recovered some of the original seatbelt fittings (the Weasel had seatbelts fitted as standard) and seat-back catches from an old piece of hull. A small die was made to press new hold-down brackets. An original seat back (in arctic white) is in place to test alignment of the slots that were milled through the channels.

Steve.
Attached Thumbnails
P3030001.JPG   P3040005.JPG   P3040011.JPG   P3040012.JPG   P3070019.JPG  

Old 14-03-09, 00:39
Steve

Some more pictures of the left-side sponson being built.
Attached Thumbnails
P3080031.JPG   P3080035.JPG   P3080037.JPG  
Old 15-04-09, 01:08
Steve

Recent progress on the rebuild of ARN 139999, the only surviving WWII Australian Army Weasel.

John has sliced the top and back of the dead M29C hull off. This piece contains the centre bulkhead and the cockpit coaming edge which is rolled (wired) and not trivial to reproduce in the short time we have left before the Bundy Swim-In in June.

He has finished scratchbulding the new sponsons and has started grafting them to the upper hull piece. I was wrong when I mentioned there are a dozen types of hat channel - there are at last count fourteen styles. We had new reproduction fuel tanks made by a master fuel tank builder in Adelaide who normally does WWII jeep tanks. We imported the remains of a very rusted Weasel tank from the USA as a pattern for him to use. These repro tanks are absolutely perfect and a credit to the builder. A bloke in Sweden supplied us with some NOS Weasel fuel level senders to top it off.

John has been doing all the major hull rebuild work so I've been helping out with getting a repro exhaust pipe made up, and I also rebuilt the steering lever assembly. I managed to get a complete unit out of the remains of three very cactus ones.

Here are some pics. For more see http://202.63.50.228/gallery2/main.p...g2_itemId=3168
Attached Thumbnails
P3030001.JPG   P3180045.JPG   P4050123.JPG   P4050125.JPG   P4070122.JPG  

Old 15-04-09, 01:10
Steve

More pictures
Attached Thumbnails
P4070123.JPG   P4070127.JPG   P4070128.JPG   P4070132.JPG   P4070135.JPG  

Old 15-04-09, 01:11
Steve

Exhaust pipe and steering assembly (in arctic white)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4380.jpg   Rebuilt_steering_assy_on_sponson.JPG  
Old 15-04-09, 02:54
Steve

Oops almost forgot. There is a photo on the AWM photo collections database of ARN 139999 and its sibling (seen front-on in one of the photos earlier on this thread) while they were at Bandiana. The AWM timeframe caption is incorrect, this was in 1945. Go to the AWM website and search for 'Weasel' and it'll come up. It is photo P05457.009 hope they don't mind me showing it here but it's all for a good cause. People rebuild Spitfires from the dataplate up and call them restored, this Weasel will be about 50% original with as much as we can sensibly use. It will be painted in its original factory-painted alpine camouflage pattern when it's finished, just as shown here.

Here it is, enlarged and sharpened a little bit:
Attached Thumbnails
T24_Weasels ARN139999_and_ARN145623_Bandiana_AWM_P05457 009.jpg  
Old 15-04-09, 09:28
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
Found a book yesterday at the local op shop. ' THE AUSTRALIAN SNOW PICTORIAL' published in 1952 ..... A weasel is pictured with a load of skiers on board, Mt Kosciusko. Another pic of it ..it's towing a skier along . I'll try to get the scanner working again soon.The weasel still has its camo paint job .

op shop = opportunity shop .. usually run by a charity .. second hand goods are donated , then sold ..typically 1970's TV's and such .

Mike
pic from the book 1952
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 15-04-09, 14:49
Steve

Mike, thanks for posting that photo! I'm positive it's got to be the same Weasel as the camouflage on the front of the hull is the same. I wonder if the right side of the hull was painted as there doesn't appear to be any camo pattern on it. The ARN had already been painted out, as we know. The other Weasel had its ARN on the rear hull as well as both sides, so I suspect 139999 was the same. Perhaps close examination of Mike's photo might reveal something more, but I'm not sure the print quality of the book would allow that. I'll ask John to look for any evidence of a right-side spotlight being mounted on the front deck. By the way John has also been putting up photos of the rebuild over on the Weasel Board at http://www.m29cweasel.com

Steve.
Old 22-05-09, 02:56
Steve

Some photos of where the oz Weasel 'THE BOGONG GRUB' (the name found painted on the front of the hull) is up to. John has joined the two old hull pieces and the repro sponson floors together and is now putting the sides in place. They had been left off until final assembly to make it easier to get into and out of the hull. A standard pintle hook has been put on, hopefully one day we'll find an original swivelling pintle that this Weasel variant had.
Unfortunately the amount of work still to be done (heaps!) means it won't be attending the Bundy Swim-In in a fortnight's time as we had hoped.

Steve.
Attached Thumbnails
P4190142.JPG   P5080143.JPG   P5100143.JPG   P5100144.JPG   P5100145.JPG