MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 10-11-20, 06:50

Default M38A1CDN2 Antenna Mast assy

Hi,
I have 1967 M38A1CDN2, CFR67-07832 with the tire rack antenna mast still attached. I am trying to find out the correct antenna base assembly that is mounted on the mast. Does anyone have pictures and part numbers for the correct parts.. better yet, where can l get the parts needed. I want to correctly complete the antenna mast assy. Thanks. Richard
Old 11-11-20, 18:36
carrier mech

It kind of depends on which radio set you have, or want to represent. The C-42 was generally the radio most M38A1s would have had early on. Around 1980, the last of the C42s (by that time used by the militia only) were replaced with the US designed PRC524. The 524 is easy enough..you just need the baseplate and an MX6707. For the C42, you need the covering box and the ATU. Note the regular force would have been using the 524 much earlier than the reserves. They coudl also have been using the 25 or 77 set with the adapter tray.

There were, of course, other radios used, but not in nearly the quantity of these two.

One warning about either type is that they put a lot of weight up high, and it eventually results in cracking of the rear panel where it meets the fenders.

Generally (and unofficially), when the C42 was used, the ATU was mounted with the controls facing the front of the Jeep, and a flap cut into the tarp. The ATU needed to be re-tuned, especially in cold weather, and it saved having to get out of the Jeep to do so.

If you decide to go with the C42, I may have the necessary parts. Brian Asbury may also be a good source. As well, I have no doubt that lots of guys on this board have them squirreled away on shelves. They are a hernia waiting to happen.
Old 16-11-20, 19:42

Default radio gear

I have the base plate for both C42 and RT524 set up, also just getting the base plate that goes under the power tray for the 524 set up being made , if interested send me a pm,
Old 29-11-20, 21:46

Hi Rob,
I do not have any period radios, and lm not sure that l will be getting any in the foreseeable future. What l am trying to do is set up the antenna mast with the appearance of being correct and ready for a radio set to be installed in the jeep. With that in mind, what can be done to the mast to look 1980’s time period correct, but non- functional? So what are the correct parts that l need to complete an 80’s looking mast... it is not necessary for the parts, that will be installed on top of my mast, to be functional.. just correct.
Thanks Rich
Old 30-11-20, 00:16
carrier mech

For the 1980s, you will need a MX6707 Antenna Matching Unit along with it's baseplate. I would imagine a similar baseplate would have been used by the Americans, otherwise I have some originals and Frank has some new reproductions.

The MX6707s were at all the military vehicle shows about 4 years ago for $20 each, but looking at the prices now on ebay that seems to have changed. I still have a few for sale, but you may want to look around your neck of the woods first, as postage to the US is not cheap, although your dollar is still quite favorable against ours.
Old 30-11-20, 05:44

Rob,
Thanks for the information on the antenna mast assy. I found both the base and reinforcing ring listed on ebay..ouch...l think that l will look around for more reasonable prices than there. But at least l know the correct parts that l need for my jeep. If the 2021 MVPA convention in south bend, indiana takes place, in sure that l can find one there. Thanks
Old 01-12-20, 22:20

Default Items you are looking for are uniquely Canadian

Hello, the radio set up in the m38a1 CDN is uniquely Canadian as are the brackets. The only items shared with the U.S. m38a1 is the actual radio equipment. I posted the instruction here previously.
You will have to decide if you want a1or 2 radio set up as that will determine what CDN brackets you will need.
Generally the spare tire radio antenna mount was used for a single radio antenna, but they were also mounted on the left rear corner.

None of these brackets would be commonly available in the USA unless imported.

Not all vehicles were set-up for a radio.

As Rob indicated he and Frank have some brackets. Unless Rob has any spare tire extensions left it might be easier to get the brackets needed for the left rear corner mount.
The radio tray also was attached to a uniquely CDN bracket.

Thanks Eric
Old 01-12-20, 23:57
carrier mech

I think I have several of the Cdn tray adapter brackets to spare, and I know I have the antenna bracket that goes on top of the spare tire mount. However, I recommend against those spare tire mounts, as they cause a lot of stress and cracking on the back wall of the jeep body. The corner mounts are a much better idea.