MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 27-03-21, 15:35
carrier mech

Default MV Restrictions in BC and Saskatchewan

Most of us remember the saga from a year or two back when Quebec tried to restrict and weed out the more recent military vehicles (say about 1980ish and newer) from the roadways. I was sent information the other day showing the same thing has basically happened for British Columbia as well as Saskatchewan. Rather than making it a specific bill, they are restricting them at the inspection level to prevent them from getting onto the roadways in the first place.

Here is a link to the BC bulletin to vehicle inspectors: https://cvse.ca/vehicle_inspections/...Wq3Qm1ONvrlSjg

Below I am attaching photos of the Saskatchewan bulletin. I don't think these are so much an organized attempt at a larger scale to rid the roads of these vehicles, but rather an answer for the inspectors who are asking "what do we do" when presented with vehicles to inspect that are not the norm. A quick internet search by the bureaucrats will show the various restrictions that have been applied in other jurisdictions, and they get copied and pasted to make restrictions in their jurisdiction.

For those with older wartime and 50s vehicles, you are not affected for now, but these things have a way of creeping backwards. I bought an M38A1CDN3 about a decade back and once the provincial inspectors got involved things got messy. I almost had a $6000 lawn ornament. Note that in the case of the Saskatchewan bulletin, it mentions the restriction can go back to vehicles built after 1971 and before 1986 at the discretion of the administrator.
Attached Thumbnails
SGI1.jpg   SGI2.jpg   SGI3.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 01-21_Bulletin-Ex-Military-Utility-Vehicle-Inspections.pdf (133.8 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by rob love; 27-03-21 at 15:42.
Old 08-05-21, 03:40

Rob , i am late in the game but from what i read in your post , the LSVW is not registrable in Saskatchewan nor BC . It does not have the Canadian or US highway certification. Unless you consider it as a commercial vehicle? How about the G Wagon ? The MLVW ? What a mess . What’s happening in BC , any update ? In Québec the issue is resolved by providing a letter from an approved engeneer that states that the vehicle is safe for road use. Added cost but doable.
94 LSVW

Last edited by Robert Bergeron; 08-05-21 at 03:48.
Old 08-05-21, 04:41
carrier mech

Do they not have the little maple leaf in a circle decal on the door piller? I thought I saw them there, but in all honesty, as a mechanic, we fixed them a lot more than admired them. If that decal is there, then they are certified. If not, then they will be difficult to register in those provinces I suspect. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Back when the 5/4 tons were sold off, I remember hearing about someone having difficulty, even back then, to register one because the decal was not on the door-piller. After 16 years of paint jobs and rebuilds, the decals on most were long gone.
Old 08-05-21, 16:19

For sure things are changing.

We sold a Bedford MJ from Ontario to a lad who lived in another western province and he found it unregisterable once he got home.

So sad to see such restrictions for such subjective reasonings.

Home of the Maple Leaf Adapter
2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Kawasaki KLR250 CFR 95-10908 ex PPCLI
Canadair CL70 CFR 58-91588
Armstrong MT500 serial CFR 86-78530
Two Canam 250s
Land Rover S3 Commanders Caravan Carawagon 16 GN 07
Trailer Cargo 3/4 T 2WHD 38 GJ 62
Old 08-05-21, 17:44
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Just another slam towards our freedom in Canada.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 08-05-21, 18:37
carrier mech

This province has (or had|) a set of standards for imported or specialty vehicles. But that may well be gone as I can no longer find them. I am of the thought that the government would just as soon everyone was driving boring vehicles that are less than 7 years old with airbags, ABS brakes, and perhaps in any colour you want, as long as it's white.

I am fortunate in that the provincial inspectors in this neck of the woods are car guys. They help organize the cruise nights, and get around and talk to the collectors. It has not hurt when registering something unique, however they too have their masters, who may not be car guys but rather bureaucrats.
Old 09-05-21, 10:51
Dave Good

Late reading this as well, Interesting in that they used a picture of my Iltis in there document.
Old 09-05-21, 23:10

You are now famous in Sask . Dave ! Do you have a maple leaf in a circle on your LSVW ?
94 LSVW
Old 10-05-21, 00:26
GM Fox I

Tip of the iceberg. My crystal ball tells me you will soon be discouraged from even restoring an old vehicle, much less drive it on the road. Too many toxic chemicals and substances, not to mention the risk of amateurs like you injuring yourself. In a future of electric vehicles your greenhouse gas emitting hobby won't be allowed the gas to run it, even if you could afford such a niche product. Then there's that whole "why would anybody need an army truck. I don't think you should be allowed to own one" busy-body attitude.

So drive'em while you still can....
Old 10-05-21, 03:17

Just curious.

Is there any correlation to this type of provincial legislation and the type of motor vehicle insurance available in the the provinces? My thought is perhaps public insurance venues controlled by provincial governments are more aggressive with this tactic than provinces where private insurance dominates...for now.

David
Old 10-05-21, 05:39
carrier mech

In BC it is the department of motor vehicles that put out the bulletin. I believe it was at that level in Quebec as well. In Saskatchewan, it may be that Sask Govt Insurance is intertwined with their provincial Dept of Motor Vehicles. I know that is the case in Manitoba.

But this is a cancer that has been popping up in the US for a few years now. It usually only takes a club or a few concerned individuals in that jurisdiction to make a difference by pointing out the historical values to the vehicles along with the relative lack of accidents and incidents compared to regular vehicles.
Old 10-05-21, 06:45
Bluebell

In response to Bruce, I recently watched an article that basically said that petrol powered vehs. will still be around in 20 years, by which time this CO2 being the devil, folly, may have "cooled" a bit?
Go to You tube and watch "Why Gas Engines Are Far From Dead - Biggest EV Problems"
Our govmints are yet to see the light (Btw, I can't even talk to my sons about this, so I am expecting to get dumped on from some quarter)
Mean while, the anti everything crowd will still be there harassing us.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 10-05-21, 18:48

Default Greenhouse gases

This planet evolved over billions of years to create the world we have today. The lush forests and the oceans were the controller of CO2. If there was a volcanic eruption the trees and plants would become greener while absorbing the CO2. Civilization is quickly destroying the forests and rain forests creating cities and profitable farmland. This has disrupted the planet’s ability to absorb CO2. All the so called controls on CO2 emissions are pointless unless the destruction of forests is stopped and forests could be restored. The greenhouse gas debate has become a huge tax revenue for government and creates hardship for low and middle income households while doing very little or nothing to combat greenhouse gases.
Sorry for the rant, if the moderator feels my post is too political I will understand if you delete it.