MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 01-06-04, 04:51

Talking Cliff Hutchings - How about an MH Arty Tractor?

Hi Cliff

I really like your models! Have you, or do you intend doing an Australian MH LP3 Artillery Tractor. Please drop me a line as i would like to discuss a couple of things with you.

regards

Shane
Old 01-06-04, 12:01

Shane, e-mail sent to you in reply 8pm 1 June AEST.

yes I am thinking about one of those in 1/35 but lack a few measurements and drawings as there is , to my knowledge, NO 1/35 scale Ford truck kit that I can alter so it has to be fully scratch built.

I now model almost exclusively Australian WW2 military trucks.

Thanks Cliff

PS> anyone with any info on this they can share please let me know.
Old 03-06-04, 23:58
Dog Robber

Evening Cliff:

Regarding your MH project the following may help a bit.

I assume you will use as the donor kit the Tamiya Quad Gun Tractor which will at least get you the better part of the power train, tyres/wheels and a lot of accessory type stuff.

You might consider to use the Revell/Monogram 1940 Ford Pickup kit which is in 1:24 scale for the bonnet and wings. The whole front end of that kit is quite similar to the 40/41 full size truck and I have seen mods done that come out quite impressive with a little tucking and fitting. In my case, I went the other way and made a LRDG pickup using the wheels etc. from the Tamiya LRDG Chev along with a lot of the extra parts from that kit "re-sized" as best I could. At least you start with the proper bits even if a bit too large or a bit too small.

To change scales a bit here, if you are not absolutely stuck on 1/35 as a scale there is an awful lot of stuff out there in 1/25, 1/24, 1/18 and 1/36-38 scale that can be more easily adapted into examples of Australian soft skins.

You are perhaps aware of some/ all of these but I will list a few here that come to mind.

AMT/Ertl: 41 Plymouth Coupe, 36 Ford Coupe, 37 Chev Coupe and Convertible, 40 Ford Coupe, 2 door sedan and Panel,truck, 1941 Ford Wagon. Revell/Monogram did the 40 Ford panel truck,
39 Chev Coupe and 40 Ford Convertible. There are others but I just throw these out real quick. All are suitable conversion projects.

In 1/18 scale, I have the 1939 Chev Wagon and a couple of their Model A Fords as future military projects. These are Die Cast models. Also in die cast 1/24 scale I have the Yat Ming 41 GMC Fire Truck and their 38 Ford Fire Truck. In 1/16 scale, I have the Highway 61 1941 Chevrolet and GMC flatbed trucks as well as the 1940 Ford Navy stake bed. Beautiful models these.

SpecCast offer in 1/25 scale die cast a 32 Ford Wrecker, a 37 Ford Ambulance, a 40 Ford Coupe, a 40 Ford pickup, a 37 Ford tanker, 40 Ford Panel, 32 Ford Pickup, 37 Ford Convertible, 37 Ford Pickup and perhaps a few I missed. These are the ones that I currently have.

Sadly, other than the Tamiya GT, I know of no other suitable starting points for any kind of Ford in 1/35 scale other than the Wespe resin kits from Romania. They are frightfully expensive, about $110 US and mostly are of the smaller Ford models not the GT

Sorry I could not be of more help.
Bill
Old 04-06-04, 03:27

Bill, thanks for the list of models. I did not know about the bigger scale kits except for the AMT 1/25 scale 1940 Ford woody station wagon which is going to become a 'battle buggy' one day.

I have found a 1941 3 ton Ford with sheet metal the same as the Ford M/H gun tractor and am going to measure it up next week and detail photo it.

From these pictures and measurements I will scratch build one from the ground up. I also intend doing the same with the Dodge D60L. It would cost me about $180 AUD to get the wespe D15 and I concider that far too expensive.

I have already done a F60L in 1/35 using the Tamiya Quad kit and also a cab 11 F60H is under construction using the same kit. My skills are such now that I will be doing a total scratch built F60H and also some of the othe cab 11 & 12's myself as masters for a resin Co here in Australia.

Also in mind for masters are the cab 13 CMP's as well.

Once again thanks for the information about the other kits and I may have to purchase them in the States as I have yet to see them over here.
Attached Thumbnails
the threesome 02 copy.jpg  
Old 04-06-04, 06:42
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default M-H GT

Cliff, when I dropped in at the Kingaroy collection last year, there were about 6 or so M-H 4x4's and 6x6's still there. None had the "Roadster" cab of the Gun Tractors, but they were Marmon Herringtons just the same. Could some still be there?

One problem for the modeller is the same as for the restorer, the Marmon-Herrington's ran 10.50-18 tyres. Not the same as 15cwt blitz and not the same as a 60cwt or FAT!
Old 04-06-04, 06:57

Default Re: M-H GT

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
Cliff, when I dropped in at the Kingaroy collection last year, there were about 6 or so M-H 4x4's and 6x6's still there. None had the "Roadster" cab of the Gun Tractors, but they were Marmon Herringtons just the same. Could some still be there?

One problem for the modeller is the same as for the restorer, the Marmon-Herrington's ran 10.50-18 tyres. Not the same as 15cwt blitz and not the same as a 60cwt or FAT!
Tony it must have been more then a year ago as on my first visit on 9 Sept 2002 the M/H fords were all gone. In fact the last of them had just being loaded as we arrived and as the load was tarped I did not see them at all.

I will be measuring a Standard 3 ton 4 X 2 for the front sheetmetal and the rest will be scaled off Photos and drawings. The wheels are not a problem if you are scratch building as everything is made by hand anyway so the wheels will be too.

Thanks for your reply.
Cliff
Old 05-06-04, 05:50
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Kingaroy

Cliff, I was there 12 June 03 and spent about 2 hours walking around and taking photos. It would have been longer if not for the Wife and Daughter waiting quietly in the car. We were passing through on holiday, so I wasn't able to scrounge as much as I would have liked. I had a film camera with only a 24 exposure roll so I had to ration my photos (Thank goodness I've now gone Digital!). There were definately 6 or so M-H trucks there then, they had aparently come out of the "yard in town".