MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 23-03-11, 03:40
MUTT Guy

Default M Series/VRC 12 Cabling and Install Questions

Does anyone know if a parts list exists for exactly what is required for the different types of VRC 12 Comms installs in the various M Series Vehicles?

I know the US for example had kits that included all the bibs and bobs required for installs.

What I'm really after is a list of the correct length Cables required. I can manage through trial and error with my 151, but was hoping there was actually "correct" length sizes listed somewhere to save me having to haul cables back and forth from my "cable connection".

Scotty
Old 23-03-11, 15:56
M38A1 CDN3

Scott: Perhaps I can help in some small way...

TM 11-5820-401-12 (Aug '72) gives line diagrams for all the AN/VRC-12 family. As you are probably aware, there are a bewildering number of cable lengths especially the 4723 and 4720. The only reference I've seen citing cable lengths was contained in an e-mail on this forum from Rob Love which was extracted from EME Manual ELECTRICAL L179/5.

TM 11-5820-401-10-1 (Feb '81) is more recent and shows a MUTT on the front page.

Do you have the Bendix connector for the mod to the 4720 power cable?

Last edited by Jon Skagfeld; 23-03-11 at 15:57. Reason: add forum reference
Old 23-03-11, 16:46
MUTT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Skagfeld View Post
Scott: Perhaps I can help in some small way...

TM 11-5820-401-12 (Aug '72) gives line diagrams for all the AN/VRC-12 family. As you are probably aware, there are a bewildering number of cable lengths especially the 4723 and 4720. The only reference I've seen citing cable lengths was contained in an e-mail on this forum from Rob Love which was extracted from EME Manual ELECTRICAL L179/5.

TM 11-5820-401-10-1 (Feb '81) is more recent and shows a MUTT on the front page.

Do you have the Bendix connector for the mod to the 4720 power cable?
Jon,

I was lucky enough to get that Cable from the Batteries to the Female Bendix (IKEE) with the Mounting Tab along with a 4' Cable with the Male end Bendix to run to the Right Side MT-1029. I also have the 3' Cable the goes from the MT-1029 to the C-2299. I actually have 2 x 10' spare Male Bendix Cables if anyone needs one.

My issue is the correct cable lengths for the Power Cable thats slaves power from the Right MT-1029 over to the Left MT-1029 and the Cable from the Left MT-1029 to the C-2299. I can start mixing and matching until I find the right lengths. The AMU Power and Coax Cables will be later.

I was hoping maybe the lists were out there to create a parts list of sorts that addressed the correct Cable Lengths and the other little snippits for oh say, Dial IKEE in an M38A1 etc etc. Maybe its something we can create with folks imput?

Jon, give me a call one of these days when you've got more then 2 min

Scotty
Old 23-03-11, 17:59
carrier mech

Jon
Those snippets were almost all I retained on the radio installation. The guy I got it from is located in Ottawa. He has a considerable pile of that sort of material, including the other 20 pages of that CFTO. PM me if you want his name....perhaps someone in the Ottawa area can look him up.

Regarding the TMs, they are US publications, and while in some cases we adopted them to fill in until we could make up our bilingual pubs, they do not always represent the Canadian installations. Normally an adopted TM will have a CFTO number stamped on the cover.