MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 21-08-12, 14:26

Default Transport issue

G'day to all,
I'm new at this guys and although I'm not a CMP owner I can relate to them being grand old units. Hopefully this will smooth things over when I tell you that I am actually more of a CCKW fan....hahaha! Actually of course I'm a fan of anything from that era military vehicles wise. A little back ground on me. I have had some military service having served with 31RQR here in Townsville. My enthusiasm for the old military trucks comes from my earliest memory of my Dad being a driver in the same unit. He used to regularly sneak home between trips in the US6 and give me a look over it. This was back in the late 60's. My old granddad had both types of make of Blitz on our farm up here in Queensland. They were just old farm hacks but they really held the place together and just never said die. We also had a 38 model ex-army chevy ambo. So you see my exposure to these vehicles has been healthy. This has lead me to the current situation I now find myself in. That being that i am now looking to buy my own unit. I know I could be in the wrong group when I say that i am very keen to get my hands on a CCKW but I'm wondering if any of you guys can assist with a lead to one. I do have my eye on one but it is interstate and and while the purchase price is affordable the carriage is crippling. I would appreciate any help you can offer either unit closer to me here in Townsville or a cost effective way to transport one from NSW to Townsville NQ. I'll leave it there and sign off now with thanks in advance for any help you can offer and wish to thank you guys for having me in the group.
Cheers,
Phillip
Old 21-08-12, 19:44
Terry Warner

Welcome!

There is no vaccination for the Green Disease.

The last fellow I knew who got a CCKW is Gunner Mike here in Canad-er. His came from Norway. There are internet military vehicle classified listings (www.miliweb org?) that may be of interest or given you some better results.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 22-08-12, 00:11

Default Welcome aboard and source of CCKW info

Hi Phillip

Welcome to the MLU forum, I think you will find it a fertile source of information and interest.

As to CCKWs information hope you have already found CCKW site http://www.cckw.org/ started and maintained by some very knowledgeable guys with information contributed by many long term CCKW enthusiast.

One of contributors, a true CCKW fanatic who has been trying to collect one of each variant and a really nice guy, I have been following him around on trail rides since 1980 in my HUP. I've used Dr. Duce and his CCKW as a plug gauge for my HUP if he could drive the Duce through then I knew my truck would fit without problem. In exchange for being the trail breaker I'd stop and pick up any of the bits he knocked off like mirrors, CB aerials, canvas bows etc.

There are some serious CCKW types on MLU who I think you will be hearing from.

So again, welcome aboard.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com

Last edited by Phil Waterman; 22-08-12 at 00:12. Reason: correction
Old 22-08-12, 01:15

Hello and welcome Phillip,
The tyranny of distance has always been a bit of a problem over here, and in short unless you are involved in the transport industry it is going to cost.
The favoured way is to find a someone who can do a "Backload" to you at a discount. There was an attempt at a website a while back trying organise this sort of thing, not sure if it is still going.
Commercial car carriers may or may not take a vehicle of this size, cost a phonecall to find out, and are often a reasonable price on the main routes. However they will only take running vehicles, and will not accept any spares or extras loaded into your vehicle.
(They were willing to transport my 4ton Humber, but not the trailer and spare motor.)
Keep an eye out to see which firm is delivering to your local car yards.
Dry hiring a large flatbed for a weekend (or in your case a week) can also be reasonable option, bearing in mind that you have to be able to load/unload each end.
Depending on the condition of what you buy, you can have a rather fuel heavy holiday and drive it home yourself, with lots of adventures on the way I'm sure...
You can wait until all the planets lineup and you get exactly what you want, where you want it however long that takes; or find a vendor who is willing to store your purchase after payment for a couple of months. It is amazing how much you can find out about transporting trucks when you have a fully paid for vehicle waiting for you.
Buy it, and it will come.....

Good luck with wich ever path you choose
Rich.
Old 22-08-12, 01:36

Hi to Phil, Terry and Richard and thanks for you suggestions and throwing out the welcome mat guys. Yes I have the bug and it is a bitter sweet one at that. Patience is going to be the key to get me through the long nights with no project....hahaha! Phil I will check out the cckw site thanks for that one. Richard, I can see where you are coming from with your advice. I think my only option is to get a back load arrangement going. The truck is driveable but not registered so while it can't be driven the long way home it can be loaded from a ramp with ease. The guy with the truck said I can leave it there until I can get transportation for it.

I will keep you guys posted on my progress if and when it happens.
Cheers to you all and thnks again for taking the time to respond.

Phillip
Old 22-08-12, 12:57
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

While it would be inaccurate to say they come up for sale all the time, you might have better chances finding one closer to home. Of course you really can't call SEQ "close' to home, but the Military Jeep Club of Queensland and the Queensland Military Vehicle Group are your State clubs where you might find something, although predominately operating in the Gold Coast-Brisbane-Sunshine Coast area. You could also contact the Yahoo Group of the Tablelands Military Group.

Another option is to contactact Ross Prince at Hervey Bay, who has fairly well developed MV contacts of vehicle owners throughout Queensland (He will be a good cantact to keep as he sells a wide range of spares for most MVs). He can be contacted on this forum by sending him a PM to Lendlease.