MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 23-04-22, 18:05

Default Trick for starting truck after winter nap

Hi All

Now we all know that each CMP is an individual as such it has it's own individual quirks about starting. Some are willing and ready to startup and run any time even after sitting for a month or two in cold storage. Some don't like to start if left to long even in heated storage.

Well I have two CMPs that live in the same un-heated garage the HUP will start anytime it doesn't care it has been known start at near 0 (zero F) -17 C after sitting for two months on 6 volts. The other a Pat 12 cargo doesn't want to start at 60 F/ 15 C.

The Pat 12 will crank and crank has spark all that stuff, I've even disconnected the fuel line at the carb to pump fresh fuel into the carb. No Start.

Well this little trick seems to make the difference take a Hair Dryer aimed at the carb from a foot or so away and let it warm the carb up to 120 F / 48 C and the truck starts right up.

I've tried this at sub freezing temperatures on the same truck, but it takes longer generally put the hair dryer in the engine compartment watching where it is pointed turn it on and let it run for 1/2 hour the combination of warm air and warm carb seems to make the difference.

So if you are getting a truck out for the spring and it doesn't want to start give this a try.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 23-04-22, 18:47
carrier mech

I went on an ex in the arctic 25 years back, and the guys would take the carbs off and bring them into the tent. But the temps were such that even that was no guarantee of a start. I had one of those trigger propane torches. I would preheat the torch over the coleman stove, then insulate it into my parka. I would use it to preheat the skidoo's manifold and that was very successful.

I would also use it to pre-heat the generator tube on the coleman stove. That would give an instant blue flame without the risk of the flare-ups that would occasionally happen with a cold stove.
Old 23-04-22, 19:07
GM Fox I

Just a general observation following up on each CMP having its own starting quirks. It seems those quirks follow the truck throughout its career despite your best efforts. You can change every single component (so practically a different system start to finish) yet those quirks remain. Other than a personality that transcends mechanics (or haunting) I have no explanation.
Old 23-04-22, 19:11
carrier mech

I have to agree 100% Bruce. There are a couple dozen runners in the museum collection. Some need choke at any temp, others seem to flood immediately with choke. Some give extreme difficulty starting again if shut down. Sometimes I will jump into a truck or Jeep to move it, make the mistake, and then pay the price.