MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 24-02-04, 21:21

Default Considering purchas of Carrier

Hi everyone.

After a long while of thinking about it I have finnaly decided to purchase a carrier. This will be my first ever military vehicle ownership and restoration. The one that I have located is currently owned by another member of my living history group. We are currently in the begining stages of working out the transaction.

I am posting here to try and get some others opinions about it. I fully trust the seller as he is a good friend of mine. Would what he has, provide a viable start to a restoration project? What else should I find out about the carrier? Here is the description that he provided to me via email the other day.

"I have replaced most of the outer armour, the engine cover still has to be done. It ran last year, but needs some engine work, it does everything it needs to. Goes forward, backwards, turns and stops. She just isn't pretty right now."

I have also included a photo of the carrier.

From the information I have gathered off of this site, I understand that this will be a large undertaking but this carrier seems to really need just some fine tunning to the engine and a rebuild on the armour.

If any of you guys can provide me with any extra assistance I would be much appreciated.

Sincerly
Jordan Baker
Attached Images

Old 24-02-04, 22:51
Chev44

Default Good and bad points...

I highly commend you on considering this--I would not, as I'm not that brave. I already have two vehicles in my yard, both CMP's, and a carrier would shove me over the edge of sanity due to cost and effort. Love to have one though.

Keep in mind, there's always more work than you think. This is guaranteed. I stayed away from tracked vehicles because of the additional maintenance and cost required. My most recent acquisiton of a 44 Chev looked like it didn't need much to get it going right, which it didn't, but after I de-civlianised it, and started getting inot the rebuild......well, it's still a 3.5 ton mobile workbench! Shoulkd be on the road this year though.

But you do have good company here--Stew Loy and all the other carrier owners here will be a gold mine, and Rob Groves is doing repro parts now for them.

I say go for it. It's like marriage or kids--if you wait till you think it's the "right time"or till you can afford it, you'll never do it.

Good luck.
Don
Old 24-02-04, 22:59
T-16, C15A

Default You Lucky Bugger

Many are called, but few answer - get that Carrier!

You should come over to my place and see my Carrier - I have lots of pictures of what it looked like whan it came - yours is halfway done by the looks of it.

I live in Woodstock. Give me a chance to tidy up ( SnowTractor up in NWT thinks I keep my garage tidy all the time ), and you can see that it is not that far from being back on the road again.

Stewart
Old 25-02-04, 16:58
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Re: You Lucky Bugger

Quote:
Originally posted by Stewart Loy
Give me a chance to tidy up ( SnowTractor up in NWT thinks I keep my garage tidy all the time )

Stewart
Hey, Stu
I think your garage is always tidy too.... and "Year of the Blitz" is always playing on your TV!

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 26-02-04, 17:01

Default Gone ahead with the deal

Hi everyone.

I was speaking to the owner last night on the phone about the carrier.

I found out that also has remade the front armour plates and started work on the engine cover frame but had never attached them to the hull. He has also told me that the last bit of major reconstruction to do is the engine cover and he has most of the steel to do it with. He also has various plans that he has aquired.

So with this bit of information and the encouragement you guys have given me, i have decided to purchase it from him for what we feel was a fair price.

I will keep everyone updated on my progress and ask many question when they arrise.

Sincerly
Jordan Baker
Old 28-02-04, 07:05
Rust be gone!

Default Fair Price

Hi Jordon,

May I ask what the "Fair Price" was because no one else has

Rob Groves
http://www.cmp-resource.com
Old 28-02-04, 18:35

Hi guys.

We came to an agreement on $2000. He had been asking $3000 but came down to what it cost him. These prices were in CDN funds.

Jordan
Old 29-02-04, 09:13
In Vino Veritas

Default Very decent...

...considering one with no upper armour just sold for 5000us on ebay. Tracks look too tight in the pic, if the fellow doesn't have manuals for the carrier buy a set from Alex Blairs Military manuals. He is on the site a frequent contributer. I and I think the majority of carrier owners, here, have a set of his very good quality repos and they ahve been well worth it. Ie track tension setting, etc.
Sean

ps: now I don't want to see it on ebay next week asking 5000k US after the chap gave you a deal