MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 11-11-04, 17:28
Dog Robber

Default Semper Fidelis

It is with a heavy heart that I inform you, my dear, dear friends of the passing of my father Major General Raymond L. Murray USMC (Ret) at 0600 hours this morning. He was 91 years old and had been quite ill since coming down with pneumonia twice in January. In June, he fell and broke his ankle which further slowed him down. Since Sunday last, he suffered what I will call a series of mini strokes. The doctors were unable to bring him out of the last one this morning.

I will write no obituary here but I would like to say a few words about my Dad. He served his country well for 34 years and through three wars. He was genuinely revered by the men who served under him, he was their Marine's Marine. His credo was to train the hardest, fight the hardest and bring home the most Marines he could. Every Marine knows that to this day.

My brothers, my sister, the grandchildren and I will be flying out to San Diego tomorrow to say our last farewells.

Please join me in sending your condolances to my Step-Mother Zona Murray. She and my Dad were only able to share 30 months together but they were the happiest 30 months of my Dad's life and hers as well and this is a crushing blow to a lovely and caring lady.

Your friend
Bill
Old 11-11-04, 17:46
Vets Dottir

Unhappy Ah :(

Ah Bill

I'm SO sorry to hear about your loss. Please ... yes, accept my condolances ... you, your family, and the wonderful Zona. What a blow to her. My heart goes out to her right now to have had so little time, but I'm so happy to hear their 30 months was so full. Treasures.

Your father sounds like his life was very full ... and I'm glad you have a life time of memories of him and his life to celebrate

Quote:
My brothers, my sister, the grandchildren and I will be
flying out to San Diego tomorrow to say our last
farewells.

Please join me in sending your condolances to my
Step-Mother Zona Murray. She and my Dad were only
able to share 30 months together but they were the
happiest 30 months of my Dad's life and hers as well
and this is a crushing blow to a lovely and caring lady.

Your friend
Bill
Yesterdays biopsy news for my sister was heart breaking news. Stage 4... metastized ... her future with us, very short now indeed, and ending will likely be very difficult for her, and us. She's handling the news like a trooper. Very committed to living fully every moment.

Its sad to say goodbye to our loved ones ... buts its so wonderful to have known them.

So Bill ...THIS is for your father.

Take care my friend,

Hug ... Karmen
Old 11-11-04, 17:46
In Vino Veritas

Default Bill

a sad day to be sure, my condolences .
Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 11-11-04, 18:31
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Semper Fi...........

Bill
My condolences to you and yours....
Your father was a true marine,even to the timing of his passing...
NOvember 11 th...Rememberance Day......God bless 'em...
Old 11-11-04, 18:58
Dog Robber

Default Thanks

Thank you my friends for your kindness.

And...yes Alex, a fine day to go if you must.

I am taking some solace in the fact that my Dad passed on relatively peacefully and that he did not have to face the fact that the doctors told us all this week that he could never go home again and would have to go to a nursing home and would probably be essentially bedridden for the rest of his life. Knowing my Dad, that was a future he would have had a hard time accepting.

I now have my emotions pretty well in check but it has been a difficult morning. Zona was not up to it so as the eldest son it fell to me to make all the phone calls to brothers, sister and all of my children. Being able to share my thoughts with you on this board has been a good process for me.

My Dearest Karmen, I lost a younger sister to cancer 6 years ago.
The only thing I can offer to you is that you have to be strong for her. She will need you standing by her shoulder whether physically or mentally. All of us here are with her as well.
Bill
Old 11-11-04, 19:35
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Murray

My Dearest Karmen, I lost a younger sister to cancer 6 years ago.

The only thing I can offer to you is that you have to be strong for her. She will need you standing by her shoulder whether physically or mentally. All of us here are with her as well.
Bill
Bill, I'm ever so glad for your father that he was spared having to spend a future that would have been hard to bear. Yes. Glad.

I'm also glad you shared this news and had a chance to express something of what's in your own heart and mind right now. Those closest can be too absorbed or sensitive in their own shock and grief at times. I know how hard and sad it must have been to make those calls and be the bearer of painful news while you're experiencing your own shock and grief. Duty. That particular, emotional tough calls that someone has to do. I had to make some calls about my sister to family yesterday when the nws came too, as my sister had to regroup, then tell her grown children the results,and be their mother. I really feel for you, because you and I just experienced something similar here. Your comments to me opened up a little of my own expressions I needed to do. I thank you for that. It helps. MLU is family.

Regards my sister ... yes ... her biggest place is with her children, grandchildren, and kids, and I'm available for when and how she needs my ears and support... things she can't express with her immediate family. I follow her cue. I've seen this wasting process before so ... this could be very hard on everyone. They don't know what to expect ... however ... I unfortunately do if this runs true to usual progression. I'm prepared better than the rest of the family if it does.

You're very welcome to email or private message me at any time Bill

Take care of yourself too.

Karmen
Old 11-11-04, 22:04
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default I'm so sorry, Bill

I lost my own father almost six years ago this day. I know how it feels. Don't be ashamed to let the tears flow when they must.

You're carrying the standard now... bear it with pride.

We're here for you.

Will the general be accorded full military honours?
Old 11-11-04, 22:33
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Folks, it's not an obituary or not nearly even a complete dossier of this man's life... but here's a link to the "official" biography.

May he rest in peace.

http://www.usmc.mil/genbios2.nsf/0/6...4?opendocument
Old 11-11-04, 23:54
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Folks, it's not an obituary or not nearly even a complete dossier of this man's life... but here's a link to the "official" biography.

May he rest in peace.

http://www.usmc.mil/genbios2.nsf/0/6...4?opendocument
Wow... I visited and read about your Father Bill. What an amazing man (mind and career and experinces) I'm quite awed. Talk about amazing actions. You must have a great pride to be his son and know him as his son. You must have learned incredible things from him. I hope you write your memories down? Family personal stuff i mean

Karmen
Old 12-11-04, 03:07
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Hero

Bill,

What a true hero.

Such a contrast to the famous Palestinian person who died recently.

May he rest in peace, and may his story long be told.

Karmen's comment about somehow recording your personal memories is a good one. When you feel ready, you should do it.

My thoughts are with you, my friend.

Keith

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 12-11-04, 10:57
MLU Administrator

Bill,

Sorry to hear about your loss. He was a hero, but above all, your father. Please accept my condolances.

Contrary to the saying about old soldiers, I hope he never fades away from his loved one's memory.

From a Navy man to a Marine:

Hanno
Old 13-11-04, 03:07
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: Semper Fidelis

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Murray
I will write no obituary here but I would like to say a few words about my Dad. He served his country well for 34 years and through three wars. He was genuinely revered by the men who served under him, he was their Marine's Marine. His credo was to train the hardest, fight the hardest and bring home the most Marines he could. Every Marine knows that to this day.
Bill:

I'm sure the Gods at Eighth and "I" in Washington DC will welcome your dad into their company.

Respice In Pacem.