MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 07-09-15, 04:00

Default LP2 Carrier Data plate info

Where after info on LP2 OR LP2A carrier Data plates in production e.g time line and makers differences some where on the front guard , some above the dash also stamped or cast numbers ? plus what where they made of ? maybe Mike would know ?
Old 07-09-15, 05:43

Hi Dale,

From my experience, I've only ever come across the data plates that were mounted on the front driver's side guard on LP2's. They were made from cast iron, and were of a "generic" type that had sections where the builder's name and production number could be stamped or inscribed - at least on the one's I've seen from 1941 and 1942. I even managed to recover one that appears to be from a production change, and the letter "A" was stamped into the builder's plate immediately after the LP2. That hull (or what was left of it) appeared to have been modified to take a radio set and had the aerial mounting point on the driver's side of the air scoop.

I do know that LP1 data plates were brass,and very finely cast too.

I don't know when the change was made on the later production LP2A's to the smaller oval shaped data plate on top the driver's instrument cluster housing, nor what those data plates were made from .

As discussed before, I have 3D printed data plates made, and could easily have one made to suit what year your carrier was made, it would then be a matter of having the manufacturers details and hull number laser engraved in the relevant sections.

I have previously made enquiries locally about having data plates either cast in cast iron or brass, but to do a run would mean a minimum production of 25, and the cost per plate would work out to be in the order of about $500 -$600 each! Similarly, having once CNC machined is just as expensive once you take into account set up time for the program and art work and machine time. If you're only wanting one plate the cost is about the same as casting.
Of course, you could always have a go at casting it yourself, once you choose the metal and work out shrinkage rates etc, set up a furnace and crucible and have your mold properly set in casting sand then you're ready to go!

If your interested in a printed data plate, please contact me.
Old 07-09-15, 07:06

Thanks Matt . Here is a photo
of Ricks Carrier data plate above the dash on his carrier that is 25 later from my carrier , they would have been on the floor together when built so this is what I'm some other carrier owners as well with VR 1942 carriers . Dale

Last edited by Dale Jordan; 07-09-15 at 07:42.
Old 07-09-15, 08:55
Bluebell

Matt, Your casting price seems incredibly high. I have had brass (gunmetal?) plates cast, and they would not have come anywhere near that price.
I didn't have to have a run of them done. I had two of each, done from two sample plates (over a number of years) followed by the last pair about 3 years ago (6 plates, total) and the foundry made a pattern to my requirements and I still have the pattern. Unfortunately I would have trouble finding accounts and don't recall the prices.
I also had some aerial bits done that now adorn the odd carrier, here and there, around the globe.
I would suggest you try a few more quotes. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 07-09-15, 09:26

Default Data Plates

I have cast the data plates for the NZ carriers LP2A and they cost $75 each,I usually get the serial numbers on our style plates engraved for $20 , and that is whether I do 1 or a 100, also have the seat bracket castings, cast all holes drilled for $175 a set, to give you some idea.
Loyd Carrier / English / Candian / LP.
M3 Stuart
Old 07-09-15, 11:03

This is an interesting discussion on castings etc. I'm only quoting prices that I've been given, and I can only assume that the local engineering and foundry firms here aren't interested on what they consider to be small volume. Most places here are regularly engaged in doing work and major projects for local industry, so I'm guessing that's the reason for the prohibitive pricing.

I did at one point consider doing my own castings for data plates etc however even the set up for that was beginning to be cost prohibitive, and then the technical aspects of metal shrinkage from casting and addatives to the molten metal to ensure flow in the mould etc was beginning to get beyond my own modest abilities.

As for CNC machining, the bulk of the cost was on art/design development and the program for the machine. Add on top of that a cost of $150 per hour for the machine, it quickly adds up.....and that's before the cost of the metal you're having machined.

As for shopping around, tried that too however the prices were much the same.

Lately I've found out about sintered metal 3D printing being done by a group in Sydney. As I've already paid for the art/design work for 3D printing, I'm looking into that option and its relative cost.

If the cost in NZ is that much more competative, I might consider getting castings done across the ditch. Clearly were getting ripped off here.

Dale, the pic of the data plate you attached is unlike any I've seen before. Are you certain its not a reproduction? It's quite unusual in that it appears to be brass? And slightly larger than the cast iron data plates found on the front guards of early LP2's. Perhaps you should confer with some more learned persons on the subject before copying that type.

I've been trying to attach some pics but my smartphone is being dumb, and as I'm supposed to be working, I cant get near a real computer at the moment.
Old 07-09-15, 11:34
Rick Cove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Stephenson View Post
Dale, the pic of the data plate you attached is unlike any I've seen before. Are you certain its not a reproduction? It's quite unusual in that it appears to be brass? And slightly larger than the cast iron data plates found on the front guards of early LP2's.
Matt, you can be assured that the data plate on my LP2A carrier No. 2250 is the original. I will measure it and a couple of others tomorrow for a
comparison of sizes.

Regards Rick.
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 07-09-15, 11:55

Hi Rick. Good to see you back on the forum, and thank you for the clarification. As I said before I've never seen a data plate like that one before on any carriers, which explains my initial hesitation.

I have art/design work done for the earlier cast iron type of data plate for 3D printing, but not for that type. Can I suggest that the best and most cost effective option would be to make a mould from Rick's data plate using an RTV silicone rubber and then casting a copy in resin. It wouldn't be difficult to modify it to the correct numbers for Dale's hull.

Once you've got the mould you can produce as many as you want in resin.... Or if you wanted to go from there, you could use a resin one as a master for a metal casting, it all depends on how deep your pockets are....
Old 07-09-15, 13:00

Way to go Matt , nice to see we where thinking the same . I've been talking to Rick about doing that for months now . Just haven't got around to it ., I done lots of rubber mould making in the past with my models , just need to slice off the 5 and move it down the line an add an extra 2 recast it . Darrin is following up with his real nice 3D printer plates to find out what he can come up with . It would be good to help other out as well . Dale
Old 07-09-15, 13:18

Hi Dale,
Yep, great minds think alike......allegedly! I reckon the best method is to make a cast as in my previous post. If you google Dalchem in Melbourne, they do a lot of RTV silicones that have high shear and heat resistance, which would be perfect for this application.
If I had to guess, about $100 would be your total costs for materials etc to be able to cast your own in resin. That is excluding the cost of getting to Rick's to begin with. The cost for the art/design for 3D Printing for that one type of data plate might cost you 2 to 3 times that, depending on who you approach to do the work.
Again, all depends on how deep your pockets are.
Old 07-09-15, 20:51

Default Data Plates

If you guys want to make a template up out of resin or 3D print out of plastic, with the right serial numbers and send over to me, I can get them cast for you cheap, so that way you are not sending an original that could get lost, and all I need is the imprint side for the foundry, cheers
Loyd Carrier / English / Candian / LP.
M3 Stuart