MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 08-12-04, 01:01

Default D-Day Traveling Msueum

Hey Everyone,
I am a bit new to the Forum but am enjoying it wonderfully. If you would like to have a lot of fun looking at what you can do with an old "Gooney Bird, C-47 or Dekota, then go to my website at www.ddaytravelingmuseum.com
We took an old C-47 that had been flown into an airport in Georgia USA over 30 years ago. It was a "prop" for the 57th Squadron Restaurant. The owner had also pulled in old WWII Jeeps, trucks etc. for a "theme restaurant." All the waitresses had on US Army Nurse outfits and there were sandbags all around the walls with WWII Pictures etc. It was wonderful.
After 9/11, the Airport security told the restaurant people to get rid of the parked C-47 because it could be a "security risk." I have never figured that out but anyway the owner sold it to a friend of mine who came in and "cut the wings and tail section off" and salvaged the motors. When my friend called me I thought to myself, "what in the world can I do with only "part" of a historical plane?? Then it hit me. I will make a D-Day Museum out of it. SOOOO 2 1/2 years after we took it off the flatbed truck, it is now a very popular WWII D-Day Traveling Museum. It has the paratrooper door, invasion stripes, and nose art. We put it on an old house trailer frame and three new axels under it and pull it with a Ford F-350 Gas Dulley pick-up truck. We take it all around the South Eastern United states to Parades, Air shows, Schools, Churches and Patriotic events.
Enjoy the site,
Blessings, Knox Herndon USA 770-719-2365
Old 08-12-04, 04:22
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Knox, I truly am impressed with the C47 display. What a wonderful exibition to put on. In today's era where even the most basic values and lessons are being put on the backburner, or being phased out of our educational system altogether, it is even more important than ever before to see this kind of devotion to history being shown to our young people.
As a Canadian, I see it get worse and worse every year, with funding cutbacks, museum closings, political correctness etc.
To have the time and ambition to be able to take a really neat piece out to educate the masses is something else... good luck and best wishes, and welcome to the forum.
Old 22-01-07, 10:00
Vets Dottir

bump

(This is interesting. I haven't ever seen this post before )

Karmen