MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 16-10-13, 06:40
Gilles Chartrand

Default Hammond Barn

Sounds like you guys could use a nice 5 ton wrecker for all this work. I have 2, one for sale Hint Hint
Gilles
Old 16-10-13, 14:02
Mr. HUP

Default Wrecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpns 421 View Post
Sounds like you guys could use a nice 5 ton wrecker for all this work. I have 2, one for sale Hint Hint
Gilles
Gilles, That sounds like a great idea - we will be talking to you after we cash in the winning lottery ticket. Until then, if you like, you can store one at the barn...you know, just in case someone near Ottawa wants to look it over...
Old 16-10-13, 14:16
HLIofC - Normandy Pl

Default Oh Mr Clarke,

Quote:
you can store one at the barn...you know, just in case someone near Ottawa wants to look it over...
smooth - real smooth.

too many carriers
too many rovers
not enough time.
(and now a BSA...)
(and now a Triumph TRW...)
Old 21-10-13, 04:05
Mr. HUP

Default Fun @ The Barn

Today was one of the best weather days we had in a long time. It was sunny and about 10oC with a slight wind blowing. One could labour away without instantly working up a sweat, and one did not have to worry about the billions of annoying flying insects that usually plague the barn.

We were short one of the crew (Grant was away), but we managed to get some more maintenance done before the snow flies, which by all accounts is due sooner than later this year. Bob headed off to Rockland to pick up some hydraulic fluid for the tractor. He and Grant swapped out a diverter valve on the wood splitter and as usual, needed more fluid than what was at hand.

I cleaned out my sea can and set up a winching system to put the HUP to bed. This is necessary as I will not be able to drive nose first into the box after I put in the divider. So, the plan is to hook up the winch system, back the HUP into the box far enough so that I can open the door, shut down and get out. After retrieving the hand winch and hooking it to the front bumper (design still being considered at this point), the idea is to hand wind the truck into the box until its rear wheels hit a cleat. Then it will be chocked.

Since we had no brilliant ideas about how to attach the hand winch to the front bumper, I decided to take the HUP for a spin. Bob decided to roto-till his garden and the small field behind the wagon lines. I met him at the field and he asked if I would like to take a few circuits of the freshly tilled field. Yessir! I had a blast pushing the HUP in both two and four wheel drive. The truck got really loose in two wheel drive, but tracked wonderfully at speed in four wheel drive.

After that fun, we cleaned up and headed home. Nothing like a CMP ride in the cool fall air to raise ones spirits!

Photos:
1 - Bob's pet project - any ideas?
2 - More of the same
3 - Grant's handiwork
4 - The HUP resting after a hard run
Attached Thumbnails
Clarence-Rockland-20131020-00313.jpg   Clarence-Rockland-20131020-00316.jpg   Clarence-Rockland-20131020-00317.jpg   Clarence-Rockland-20131020-00318.jpg  
Old 30-11-13, 01:24
Mr. HUP

Default Short Update

We have been busy at the barn, but mostly with the same old thing - preparing for winter and working on CMP things. As part of the winter prep, Bob put up a small snow shelter by Lucifer's outside chimney - see photos one and two above. The shelter is to prevent the build up of snow and ice around the chimney. In the past, ice has formed, melted when the furnace was on, and then, as the chimney cooled, built up more ice. This ice was pushing against the chimney and exposed a gap that allowed the weather in.

On a less-exciting note, the HUP in the Box problem was sorted out. The issue had to do with driver access when the truck is put away in the sea container. Recently, the HUP was driven front first into the box and egress was via the back door. This egress is no longer available with the installation of the full floor to wall divider.

Now, the HUP is backed up to the lip of the container and is hooked up to a winch system. A cable is secured to a cleat inside the container and this cable runs to a pulley block that is attached to the rear frame rail of the HUP. The cable continues to another pulley block on the same floor-mounted cleat and then runs outside the box under the HUP to a hand winch.

The hand winch is set up like a tow hitch, where it plugs into a receiver mounted on a purpose-built frame that attaches to the front bumper of the HUP. After the HUP is hooked in, it is reversed into the box to the point where the driver's door can still be opened. The engine is shut off and the truck is left out of gear with the front wheels chocked. The winching mount assembly is then attached to the front bumper. The hand winch is then fetched from underneath the truck and then placed into the receiver. The hand cranking begins.

The first attempt at this system proved a failure as the bar that was set between the frame rails parted company under the load put on it by the pulley block. Thus, the second attempt had the pulley block attached to the hole in the driver's side rear frame rail. The second attempt worked quite nicely. When the front wheels hit the frame of the sea container, there is some effort required during the winding, but once the wheels clear the threshold, the HUP moves quite effortlessly into position - there is a cleat nailed to the floor to stop the rear wheels at the correct location to allow the closing of the front doors.

I chose to go with the hand winch because I am not only a cheap son of a gun (I didn't want to pay for an electric winch), but I don't like running electrical extension cords in wet environments. The cost of materials was minimal: $25.00 for a 2500 lb rated hand winch, $20.00 for the steel, $30.00 for supplies etc...

Photos:
1 - General set up
2 - More of the same
3 - Shot of the hand winch
4 - Clearance achieved
Attached Thumbnails
Clarence-Rockland-20131128-00357.jpg   Clarence-Rockland-20131128-00353.jpg   Clarence-Rockland-20131128-00356.jpg   Clarence-Rockland-20131128-00352.jpg  

Last edited by RHClarke; 30-11-13 at 01:47.
Old 01-12-13, 15:21
Mr. HUP

Default Border Raids

No less than two border raids were conducted by the Hammond Barn crew in the past few weeks. Recently, Grant and Bob headed into the Kingston CMP Region and found two candidates suitable for barn use. Bob or Grant can provide details.

This Saturday morning past, I left the confines of the Ottawa CMP Zone (-21 oC) and headed south west. I successfully entered the tropical (+3 oC) Southern Ontario CMP Region undetected and unmolested to pick up 216 engine that eventually will go into my HU Ambulance (yes, another project!). After loading the engine into my van, I headed east but was intercepted by Brian and Mel of the Oshawa mob. After an intense interrogation that involved torture with hot liquids (Tim's coffee), I eluded these two ruffians and headed back to the frozen north east.

The trip home was a little longer than the trip south - the van was riding a bit lower than normal, but there was no issues with traction! Photos later after the off-load at the barn.

Last edited by RHClarke; 01-12-13 at 15:28.
Old 03-12-13, 16:11
Mr. HUP

Default Loot!

Some pics of the treasures found down south:

1 - Aiming circle stand - these were in service when I joined the artillery in 1975
2 - Stand and Aiming circle - I still know the drills...says something for army training
3 - My van with an in-line 6 installed - two six cylinder engines did not make the van go any faster...
4 - 216 engine being prepped for presevation - it eventually will go into my HU-Ambulance project vehicle
Attached Thumbnails
Ottawa-20131202-00364.jpg   Ottawa-20131202-00363.jpg   Clarence-Rockland-20131201-00359.jpg   Clarence-Rockland-20131201-00360.jpg  
Old 17-12-13, 22:57
Mr. HUP

Default Loading Logs

Hi Bob! Here is a video that we might find useful in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43KdDUX4eRw
Old 17-12-13, 23:19

Default Wow.....

....life is cheap out there......

I am waiting for the sequel clip ....... when the driver's foot slips off the clutch
Canada
Old 17-12-13, 23:20

For snow removal (just don't aim them at the shelters), here are another couple of Russsian trucks, clearly one is military pattern - the other is green.
Attached Thumbnails
de-ice 2.jpg   de-ice 1.jpg  
Old 18-12-13, 00:08
WO8 C15A 142736

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHClarke View Post
Hi Bob! Here is a video that we might find useful in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43KdDUX4eRw
Is it covered by patent or can anyone use it?
Old 18-12-13, 00:27
Terry Warner

The idea of slipping the clutch pedal and then flailing that arm to a sudden stop doesn't exactly excite me. But, it does show the typical Russian internet creativity.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 21-12-13, 22:28
Mr. HUP

Default Merry Christmas!

From Bob, Grant and myself, enjoy your Christmas!
Attached Images

Old 21-12-13, 22:50

Default Not fair.....

..... Guys down under are bragging / complaining of average 40C temperature and you show them a picture of the farm with just a dusting of snow...

For the record we have 2 feet of snow....... just finished blowing the latest 6 inches...it now -6 C and raining....forecast is for at least 12 hours od freezing rain....... we are just on the edge of the rain snow mix and may be lucky to only get snow or freezing ice sugar snow.

Along the St Laurent, south of us they have already massive power failures after only 3 hours of freezing rain.

To be cautious I follow the wife's advice and fogt an extra 4o gallons of petrol and test fired the electric generator...... now to find all the flashlights and sit tight and wait.

It's a good thing Winter only officially started about 4 hours ago.

Freezing Rain should end on Sunday then the temp. will fall to -18/20 C on Xmas eve.....

The good side we will have one heck if a White Xmas.

Wishing You and your Families All The Best for Xmas .........

.....may you find a CMP under every Xmas tree.

The Hammond Gang !!!
Canada
Old 22-12-13, 17:17
Mr. HUP

Default Christmas Weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
Guys down under are bragging / complaining of average 40C temperature and you show them a picture of the farm with just a dusting of snow...
Bob, I didn't want anyone to get jealous of our lovely weather. Besides, my camera malfunctioned and I lost all of the pics I took yesterday.

Today we do have some freezing rain in Ottawa - more of a mist than rain, but nothing compared to what the folks south of us got yesterday. It is a good day to stay off the roads and to sit by the fire and watch war movies.
Old 25-12-13, 16:27
Mr. HUP

Default Merry Christmas

I hope that Bob and Grant (and all MLUers) got what they wanted for Christmas. I did; a very happy son! Jesse and I will be visiting the barn over the next few days to inventory what has to be done on Jesse's 54 SMP radio van.

From our household to yours, we extend our wishes for a healthy and happy New Year!
Old 25-12-13, 17:56

Default Merry Xmas

To one and all and one heck of a New Year.

Yep ...got almost eveything I wanted then some....what I did not get was illegal anyways.

Will be spotting for Snowys and Great Grey Owl on Boxing day with Joyce but will be at the barn on Flyday.

Don`t forget wild willbe dropping by on Saturday at 1 PM....... will have a chat at the barn first but intend to have a cold seasonal beverage and snacks at the house.....

Cheers
Canada
Old 25-12-13, 18:13

Default Boxing Day snowy and great grey owls......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
Will be spotting for Snowys and Great Grey Owl on Boxing day with Joyce but will be at the barn on Flyday.

Cheers
I hope you did not tell the mice what you have in store for them on Boxing Day... I know that Joyce will take some amazing photographs of the snowy and great grey owls......

Best wishes to you, your family and all the critters (2 and 4 legged) who come to visit the Hammond Barn.... The best for 2014....

Cheers!
Stuart
Old 03-01-14, 17:22
Mr. HUP

Default Brrr!

Just in case you were wondering what was happening at the barn over the past few weeks - not much. On some days it has been colder here in Ottawa than it was at the North Pole. Given the extreme forecast for next week, I expect that we will be staying indoors just a bit more this January.

Yes, we wimpy Hammond Barn types can't handle the cold anymore... Maybe we are just getting smarter??
Old 03-01-14, 18:37

Default Man it is cold out there...

Took the garbage out this morning to the main road and walked back to the barn to get an old tarp for the garbage pickup.

Snow blinded at first.... my fingers, ears/nose were starting to hurt very Sunny day but -25C.

Tried to start the Ford diesel to run some errands.....ran for 20 second and died out..... sure sign of a frozen fuel line or the fuel has gelled in the lines.....will try to do it again with spray ether.....

Hopefully it will warm up to -12 tomorrow and it may be more humane to try photographing the owl......
When it is so cold outside the first thing to go are your fingers...standing still or crouching in an open field is very taxing.
The worst part is trying to keep your live bait mice from freezing...... I usually put them in my underwear and fish them out as needed....also keeps you skirming so you don't freeze.

Apparently the days are getting longer now and Spring is coming.....

Bob C
Canada
Old 04-01-14, 00:55

Default Finally warmed up the Ford

Had to use a small electric car warmer to blow warm air opn the fuel module near the back of the engine.
Same location as the 17mm banjo bolt which is used to bleed air form the system...don't ask how I know.

Also treated the diesel tractor fuel. when refueling with a large funnel thathas a fine metal screen to contain dirt the wax in the diesel congeals on the screen and blocks the fuel from flowing..... the screen is about 2 1/2 in. wide and get completely coated with whitish was residue....... adding ethyl alcool or benzyne or xylene to the funnel disolves the wax...... and makes the old MF do a wheel stand.\

Apparently the NEW low sulphur fuel is more suseptable to gelling..... and they call it progress!!!!

Really too cold !!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Canada
Old 04-01-14, 02:03
Terry Warner

Default dilution of diesel fuel

My 1985 VW Golf diesel 4-cyl had a diluting recipe in the manual - so many parts pump diesel and kerosene. As I recall, the formula for -40 was about 50%. I shudder to think what the new diesel fuel would do to the engine because of the reduced blended-in lubricants.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1

Old 04-01-14, 02:46
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
Just to add to the comments about snow and driveway shelters, I went to the famous Princess Auto the other day. A 21' telescoping aluminum handled plastic bladed roof rake (yes, that is the name) is coming up on sale. The need was greater to clear snow than risk missing out altogether.

We have had easily 18" of fresh snow in the past two weeks. Here are some snaps of the process of clearing snow. Notice the deflection on the roof supports inside.
The weekend is forecasted to be single digits (below freezing). This would be an excellent chance to go work outdoors raking snow off the roof. I was outdoors after the last storm and again today. The Jeeps thanked me!

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1

Old 05-01-14, 00:10

Default Worked in the barn today.....

The past few days of bitter cold has complicated things.

I had to use an electric blow gun to warm up the pressure regulator on the compressor system.....but only after I had used the heat in the blower gun to soften up the coiled electrical cord.

Used the gun again to warm up the chuck on the drill press as it was very stiff to turn. The O ring on the air line spool kept hissing and leaking..... warm air did not last long as the cold compressed air cooled it again.

Had "Lucifer" fired up but even after 4 hours the electrical cords on the floor couldn't be coiled neatly and winding up the rubber hose air line back on the spool was like twisting spring steel. The Butane torch used to light the furnace would not ignite but the propane torch burned weakly.

Got the sheet metal job done for the furnace but it was not enjoyable.

Outside temp was -19 with a stiff breeze .... I swear the inside of the barn had stored some of the cold air from the past few days.

The slow leak on the tractor front tire had deflated the tire flat.......

The forecast on TV says that the real cold January weather has yet to arrive.

Bob C
Canada
Old 05-01-14, 15:26
Mr. HUP

Default Cozy @ Home

Bob, Give me a call if you need some help around the barn. I will be out sometime next week to knock some snow off the shelters and to clear off the roof of the shed. Until then, I will be at home keeping warm.
Old 05-01-14, 23:29

Default Is Hammon Below or Above the Arctic Circle?

Hi All

After looking back through pictures posted on Hammond 2013 I just have to ask Is Hammon Below or Above the Arctic Circle?

Reason I asked is that I noticed that there seem to be a lot of photos from the Hammond Barn that either show snow or you guys dress up in your arctic suites. Counted and there are 62 photos with snow or cold weather gear and only 39 with no snow and or normal work cloths. There were also 5 photos with no indication of temperature.

It would sort of seem that you have winter little over 60% of the time and spring summer fall only amount to just under 40% of the time.

Cheers and Stay Warm Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com