MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 30-06-11, 12:50
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Vale Tom Kruse

Tom Kruse died this morning in an Adelaide hospital at the age of 96.

Here's a picture I took of Tom about ten months ago in Alice Springs, the day after his 96th birthday.

I've known Tom through making the documentary Last Mail from Birdsville eleven years ago when Tom was 85. For those who don't know I'm quoting a bio written by our mutual friend Ian Doyle.
Tom owned many CMPs in his lifetime including the cab 12 F60L made famous in "The Back of Beyond".

Quote:
Biography
E.G. (Tom) Kruse MBE

Esmond Gerald (Tom) Kruse was born on August 28th 1914. He is the tenth of Ida and ‘Harry’ (Henry) Kruse’s twelve children. His father was a blacksmith at Waterloo north of Adelaide.

Tom left school in 1927 and did various labouring jobs in the district including working in his father’s blacksmith shop where he lost a finger as a result of an accident. After a few years he moved to Yunta in the pastoral northeast to work in a small garage owned by his older brother Snow.

Tom’s truck driving career started in 1932 working for Yunta storekeeper and postmaster John Penna. Tom was eighteen years old. In 1934, pioneering outback transport operator and mail contractor Harry Ding’s moved his operation from Olary to Yunta. He bought out Snow’s garage and John Penna’s business and offered Tom a job.

The expanding Ding enterprise won the tough and potentially lucrative Birdsville Track mail contract. On January 1st 1936, in searing 45-degree heat, Tom drove his first Marree to Birdsville mail run. Mail, fuel, supplies and the occasional passenger had to get through and Tom did battle with sand hills, dust storms, flies and floods, swollen rivers and creeks along the Birdsville Track every fortnight. Round trips between Marree and Birdsville normally took seven days but when the Cooper flooded across the track, it could take as long as six weeks.

Some other well-known Birdsville Track mailmen include Monty Scobie, Ken Crombie, Fred Teague, Tom Robinson and Max Bowden. In 1939 Tom helped transporting supplies for Dr. Cecil Madigan, the second European to cross the Simpson Desert by camel.

After his marriage to Valma Fuller in 1942, the newly weds settled at Marree and became more or less branch managers for Harry Ding at Marree and Lyndhurst.

In late 1947 Tom bought the Marree based part of the Ding operation. Harry had moved to Wilcannia in western NSW in 1944. On January 1st 1948, twelve years to the day he drove his first Marree to Birdsville mail run, Tom took over the Birdsville mail contract for 396 pounds a year. Tom held it for 15 years and sold it in 1963.

In early 1951 Tom stopped doing regular trips along the track. He had started an earthmoving and tank sinking business in the pastoral north.

The Back of Beyond Collection
Celebrating the 50th Anniversary of The Back of Beyond
Supported by the CMV Foundation and in support of the RFDS ph 1 800 813 318

Through late 1951 and 1952, director with the Shell Film Unit John Heyer shot The Back of Beyond. Tom, his offsider William Henry Butler and the Leyland Badger were recalled to play themselves, delivering mail and supplies along the Birdsville Track. The Back of Beyond became an international award winning Australian classic. Tom Kruse and the Badger were immortalised.

In the 1955 New Year’s Honours list, Tom was awarded an MBE for … 'services to the community in the outback … risking his life on many occasions'. Lady Slim, wife of the Governor-General, flew to Birdsville on Monday July 18th as part of an outback tour to present the MBE. Tom didn’t make it to the investiture. He got stranded in the Cooper, cut off by floodwaters. Tom finally received his decoration from Sir William Slim at Government House in Adelaide in April 1956.

His best-recognised mail truck was a Leyland Badger was in the UK in 1936. It was sold by Crawford’s (later CMV) to Harry Ding and then purchased from Harry in 1949. It finally broke down and was abandoned in 1957 on Pandie Pandie Station near Birdsville.

The Badger was rescued from the desert in 1986 during the Jubilee Mail Run re-enactment and fully restored at Northfield in Adelaide by Tom and a group of enthusiasts lead by Neil Weidenbach between 1996 and 1999.

The Mail Truck’s Last Run re-enactment in October 1999 from Birdsville to Birdwood had Tom and the Badger deliver more than 7000 letters from all over the world and resulted in the documentary Last Mail from Birdsville – the Story of Tom Kruse.

In 2000 Tom was inducted into the National Transport Hall of Fame in Alice Springs. In 2003 he was officially recognised as an Outback Legend by Australian Geographic and both he and the Badger were nominated South Australian icons by the National Trust.

The Back of Beyond Collection, celebrating the 50th Anniversary of The Back of Beyond was released at Marree on July 24th 2004. The project was supported by the CMV Foundation and the double DVD set of Tom’s life is sold in support of the RFDS. The Badger is now permanently housed at the National Motor Museum at Birdwood in the Adelaide Hills.

Since 2008, five bronze busts of Tom have been unveiled by him and Governor-General Michael Jeffery, David Brook OAM, Robert Butler and Ted Egan AO. The busts were produced by Robe artist Patricia Moseley and are located at Marree, Birdsville, Waterloo, the National Motor Museum at Birdwood and the National Road Transport Hall of Fame in Alice Springs.

E.G. (Tom) Kruse MBE passed away at the Fullarton Lutheran Home in Adelaide at 7.40 am on Thursday June 30th 2011. He was 96 years old. Mrs Valma Kruse (nee Fuller) passed away on Wednesday August 25th 2010. Valma Kruse was 91 years old.

June 30th, 2011

More Info: Ian Doyle 0417 819 189

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 30-06-11, 12:57

A true Aussie Icon, sad to hear of his passing.
Rich.
Old 30-06-11, 14:32
warren brown

Truly saddened. I never met him, but I always felt I knew him vicariously through film and interviews I've read. I met a bloke once, at the pub at William Creek, who knew him well - and that was about as close as I got. Good on you Keith and everyone who really did know him. Sad night tonight.
Ford GPW
Old 30-06-11, 14:54
WO8 C15A 142736

Another pioneer has passed Tom will live on in film, not many left with his ability to get there no matter what.
Old 30-06-11, 15:55
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Real australian legend

Sorry to hear of the passing of another great Australian Icon. A true trail blazer. I saw his truck displayed in the Birdwood Auto Museum a few years back, but I am not sure if is still there on display. Having done the Birdsville Track in a modern 4x4 one can only wonder how difficult it would have been so many years ago.

Tony
Old 01-07-11, 01:46
Cameron

Sad to hear of the passing of a true pioneering gentlemen. I just shake my head at some of the things that he did to get his job done, particularly like the one about fashioning a clutch plate out of the lid of a 44 gallon drum. RIP
Old 01-07-11, 02:54
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

Post Sad

Indeed a sad day for our fair nation.
Tom was one of our last true pioneers. The outback, and indeed all of Australia, owes him a true debt of gratitude.
It was men like Tom that made living in remote Australia possibe. They worked increadibly hard in one of the harshest environments on earth.
Men like Tom Kruse, Tom Cole and others were true heros.
I fear that the majority of "modern" Australians will not know of Tom, but, those of us who do know of him, will always remember and admire his incredible story.
Farewell, Tom.
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13
C15A #13 Wireless (incomplete)

Last edited by Howard; 01-07-11 at 06:18. Reason: Punctuation, Spelling. Yes I did go to school!
Old 01-07-11, 13:35
RIP

Default Tom Kruse

Hi all - I was fortunate enough to meet Tom and Valma several times and was enthralled by their stories. Combining meeting Tom and another great Australian pioneer, Kurt Johannsen of Northern Territory fame, I feel particularly fortunate to have rubbed shoulders with two of Australia's greatest pioneers.

Bob
Website owner - salesmanbob.com
Old 02-07-11, 10:09
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Funeral

For those who are interested, Tom will be farewelled at the Morphettville Racecourse next Thursday afternoon (July 7th), I think at 2PM (but will confirm in due course).

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 02-07-11, 11:18
MLU Administrator

Rest in Peace Mr Kruse!

I remember seeing the movie when I was a small boy. If I recall correctly, I got to see it because my Dad was working at Shell at the time and they showed the movie to their employees. A friend and I replayed the sand dune scenes with a Dinky toy Morris Commercial artillery tractor for days on end. I think that is how I got pre-occupied with CMPs . . . . thank you, Tom!

Hanno
Old 02-07-11, 11:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren brown View Post
Truly saddened. I never met him, but I always felt I knew him vicariously through film and interviews I've read. I met a bloke once, at the pub at William Creek, who knew him well - and that was about as close as I got. Good on you Keith and everyone who really did know him. Sad night tonight.
Warren,

When we were at the opening of the Road Transport Hall of Fame in 1995, we went to a Dinner there with all the outback transport pioneers, do you recollect if Tom was there?

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 02-07-11, 11:48
warren brown

Richard, I don't really recall - but i don't think so. The Road Transport Hall of Fame has done such a great job in ensuring the outback transport pioneers have found their place in history, but I think in 1995 on the opening night, their wonderful work was only just taking off. Of course this was some time before the restoration of the Leyland Badger doco (Keith!) and the reinvigoration and rediscovery (for the great unwashed) of the original film... In 1995, except for those in the know, Tom and Kurt were almost forgotten - hats off to everyone who made sure that we remember them now in 2011... I'm going to talk to the Australian's obituary writer Graeme Leech tomorrow - keep a lookout...
Ford GPW
Old 02-07-11, 11:52
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Back of Beyond

Good memory, Hanno

You are absolutely correct! The film was made by the Shell Film Unit, directed by John Heyer. I think Tom is responsible for giving many people their interest in CMPs - the second half of the film features the F60L cab 12, while the first half Tom drives the Leyland Badger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Rest in Peace Mr Kruse!

I remember seeing the movie when I was a small boy. If I recall correctly, I got to see it because my Dad was working at Shell at the time and they showed the movie to their employees. A friend and I replayed the sand dune scenes with a Dinky toy Morris Commercial artillery tractor for days on end. I think that is how I got pre-occupied with CMPs . . . . thank you, Tom!

Hanno

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 02-07-11, 12:35
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Tom's cab 12

Hanno, this is what you're talking about.

On the left is John Heyer.

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 02-07-11, 13:03
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Webb View Post
Hanno, this is what you're talking about.

On the left is John Heyer.
Correct, I vividly remember the CMP with its weird blunt nose crawling up the huge sand dunes, coming over the top and then slowly drive down the other side. Next day my friend showed his Morris-Commercial Dinky toy and we were convinced it was the same truck.

H.
Old 03-07-11, 08:49
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

And to think that the cab 12 in this photo was probably less than 15 years old at the time...
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13
Old 03-07-11, 09:18
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Cab 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
And to think that the cab 12 in this photo was probably less than 15 years old at the time...
12 years in fact as the movie was made in 1953, released in 1954. It seems a lot of these trucks sort of reach a plateau of degradation fairly quickly depending on the use/abuse they receive.

The Badger was five years older but had a rebuild including new chassis and a Thorneycroft bogie around 1948.

Here's the Badger:

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 05-07-11, 03:46
warren brown

Much to my astonishment and disappointment- I've been informed The Australian no longer produces an obituary column. Tom's story would have been a must read. However, there is a documentary television series in production for the ABC which uses some of the 'Back of Beyond' film - mentioning Tom and his adventures...It'll screen either late this year or early 2012.
Ford GPW
Old 05-07-11, 03:55
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Not only but also

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren brown View Post
Much to my astonishment and disappointment- I've been informed The Australian no longer produces an obituary column. Tom's story would have been a must read. However, there is a documentary television series in production for the ABC which uses some of the 'Back of Beyond' film - mentioning Tom and his adventures...It'll screen either late this year or early 2012.
I also made a doco at the same time which screened on Channel 7 and the History Channel at the time as the excellent Peter Lewis Landline segment.

Our program, Last Mail from Birdsville - the story of Tom Kruse will screen in South Australia this Saturday morning.

I can also confirm the time for the funeral which is 2.30, not 2 as previously mentioned.

At the moment I'm editing a memorial piece to be shown at the wake.

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 05-07-11, 04:23
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

Post Back of Beyond/Last Mail

During my visit to Broken Hill last April we paid a visit to the Royal Flying Doctor base. I was disapointed that they did not have any copies of Back of Beyond/Last Mail on hand. Since then I had completley forgotten all about it.
The DVD's are available on line HERE. Money from the sale of the DVD's goes to keeping the flying doctor flying.
Quote:
There is an obituary on the RFDS website, here
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13