MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 07-04-11, 02:54
aut viam inveniam aut fac

The men here seem to be discussing the nuances of hoarding and collecting...a conversation best had over several beers...

meanwhile to a certaing percentage of females associated with these men, neither concept enters their lexicon. Failing to appreciate the vital need to preserve these historical artifacts along with the multitude of parts and accesories that go with them, the term I`ve heard them use is... junk collector

Fortunately for all parties involved, this likely genetic deficiency which seems to prevent the female from recognizing the vital mportance of this male endeavour to the greater societal good, does not automatically prevent either party from appreciating the qualities of the other. In fact, on some rare occaisions, this male *àffliction, obsession, or addiction* as some would qualify it according to the strict rules of pysco=analysis, not only has been overlooked by the female, but indeed certain very few -and dare I say very special females have actually overcome this inherent lack of the specific OD gene, and have actually been known to enjoy their male partners efforts at the preservation of these precious few remaining artifactsby these private *curators*

Last edited by Marc Montgomery; 07-04-11 at 03:17.
Old 07-04-11, 05:07
Rick Cove

Marc,

I agree,with your idea that "certain very few -and dare I say very special females have actually overcome this inherent lack of the specific OD gene, and have actually been known to enjoy their male partners efforts at the preservation of these precious few remaining artifactsby these private *curators"

I am so very lucky with my wife and mate. Jill, who helps me no end and is not beyond dressing up in period military gear for the occassion. It is she who hands me the spanners and cleans up as well.

I class myself as a collector and a restorer with quite a few vehicles on the road, so I don't think I'm a hoarder. I do know quite a few though.
Rick.
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 07-04-11, 08:05

Default A wife that helps you repair military vehicles?

Rick,
How did you ever find a woman that is willing to help you repair vehicles and dress up for the odd vehicle display?I have been searching my whole life for a woman like that! I have managed to dress up my 2 sisters in Canadian Womans army corps uniforms in the past but that is over.I seem to be ok with women on a first date but have never been on a second date.I have been told not to tell them right away that I collect guns,helmets and restore army vehicles on a first date so if I ever get another date,I will have to hold off on that information!
Congratulations and count your blessings!Are there other single women there that are willing to work on army vehicles?
Regards,Derk.
1943 Bantam T-3 1/4 ton trailer
BSA folding airborne bicycle ser#R5325 (early)
Old 07-04-11, 11:54
Gilles Chartrand

Default Wives that collect

Well, I guess I am a happy man because not only does my wife like the hobby she encourages my son and I. Exemple yesterday she went to the garage to see the latest acquisitions instead of going home after work.
She really likes going to the shows and has booked us to attend Waterloo in July, the SOMM in August and maybe Coe Hill in the fall.
She personally owns a M38A1Cdn2 with trailer, a M1010 ambulance and has laid claim to the Mule and says if I try to sell them I will suffer a very sharp and long pain below the belt.
When she can she helps out in the garage by cleaning up after My son and I, cleaning and prepping the vehicles for shows. She is also the one who keeps all the paperwork straight and always knows where that piece of paper I am looking for is located.
As fishermen say "She is a keeper", we have been married 36 years. Gilles
Old 07-04-11, 12:45
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Lectures

Can we arrange for her to give lectures for our wives please? Sounds like she is one in a million!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpns 421 View Post
Well, I guess I am a happy man because not only does my wife like the hobby she encourages my son and I. Exemple yesterday she went to the garage to see the latest acquisitions instead of going home after work.
She really likes going to the shows and has booked us to attend Waterloo in July, the SOMM in August and maybe Coe Hill in the fall.
She personally owns a M38A1Cdn2 with trailer, a M1010 ambulance and has laid claim to the Mule and says if I try to sell them I will suffer a very sharp and long pain below the belt.
When she can she helps out in the garage by cleaning up after My son and I, cleaning and prepping the vehicles for shows. She is also the one who keeps all the paperwork straight and always knows where that piece of paper I am looking for is located.
As fishermen say "She is a keeper", we have been married 36 years. Gilles

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 07-04-11, 15:09
Rick Cove

Derk , Gilles and Stuart,

Here's a photo taken at Corowa. Jill is dressed in a WW11 WRAAF uniform picked up found in a traders trailer during the week for $20.00. Jill washed and ironed it, purchased suitable shoes at the 2nd hand shop and wore it during the parade. Whilst it was not in keeping with my 1916 Albion, it looked good, fitted her quite well, but was just a little long.

Jill is the main cleaner in our museum, she is always out with the broom, duster or the polish. (Thats when she is not out gardening.)

I don't know how to thank her enough.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Corowa2011 229.jpg  
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 07-04-11, 18:02
Mr. HUP

Default Interesting...

Well, that solved nothing. From my perspective I fit all of the following categories depending upon the situation:

Hoarder - Some CMP related things I refuse to share;
Collector - I have a specific (but not restricted) interest in HUPs;
Restorer - “Eventually” I will finish restoring my 45 and 43 HUPs, so if the shoe fits..;
Re-enactor - Sometime I like to play at representing a soldier of the WWII period; and
Enthusiast - I love this hobby to which I dedicate considerable coin and time.

In the main, I guess we all fit one or more category depending upon our and others points of view.

The bottom line is that no matter which category we fall into, we all contribute in one way or another to the long or short term preservation of these great vehicles. I hope that we all lean towards the sharing of our collective wisdom, and when possible we share some of our collected treasures. This is the only way this hobby will continue to grow.

Now get out there and work on your CMPs!
Old 07-04-11, 22:39
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Jill

Perhaps Jill can do the Aussie lecture circuit. But wait, I have a better idea - I'll do an interview for the next DVD. Your job, men will be to get your spouses to look at it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx42 View Post
Derk , Gilles and Stuart,

Here's a photo taken at Corowa. Jill is dressed in a WW11 WRAAF uniform picked up found in a traders trailer during the week for $20.00. Jill washed and ironed it, purchased suitable shoes at the 2nd hand shop and wore it during the parade. Whilst it was not in keeping with my 1916 Albion, it looked good, fitted her quite well, but was just a little long.

Jill is the main cleaner in our museum, she is always out with the broom, duster or the polish. (Thats when she is not out gardening.)

I don't know how to thank her enough.

Rick

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 08-04-11, 13:30
Gilles Chartrand

Default Wives social event

Stuart I couldn't agree with you more, we should have a social event that is specifically done for the wives. Carolle and I both feel that if the wives were more involved they would begin to see what we like to do. We could do a theme party, 40's to 70's dress and music. Let's think about this!!!!!!!!!!!
I now say this with tongue in cheek, at the next parade or event get your better half to come out and let her drive the MV, you sit in the passenger seat and wave. Believe me I have done and it is fun.
Carolle is looking for a 1965 - 1970 Cdn women's dress military uniform, this is the style just prior to the integrated Forces green uniform. She would wear this while driving her M38A1 Cdn 2 jeep. I will have to ask the resident expert Clive for his expertise and opinion on the correst uniform, or should I say his expertise, he always has an opinion on everything rolleyes . Also if anyone is interested the M1010 Ambulance is for sale as we are downsizing the fleet. Gilles
Old 02-05-11, 11:07
Tony Baker

Default Definition of "Collector"

My understanding of being classed a "Collector" is quite simple.

If your wife agrees with the acquisition........you're a collector.

If she doesn't agree.............you're IN TROUBLE!

Trust me, I know.
Old 02-05-11, 20:45
Frankencarrier owner

I am very lucky to be blessed with a long suffering wife who not only agreed to a military wedding, she barely blinked an eye when our limosine was a White M14 halftrack, and rode six hours up to the Interior with me to bring home the frankencarrier. She's been learning how to drive it but draws the line at wearing period kit.