MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 08-05-11, 15:11
aut viam inveniam aut fac

Default War films

has there been a thread about war films? good and bad, and reasons?

If so, I apologize in advance, but if not

One I'd nomiinate as a good one, is Kokoda..recently downloaded off the net. I rate it as very good indeed

Ozzies and Kiwis will likely know this one : a film set in WWII ...but doubtful many others will know it.
about the "chocos" as the regular Aussie force called them...chocolate soldeirs that would melt at the first sign of trouble...as these were volunteer civilian soldiers..

turns out they did a tremendous job stopping Japanese invasion plans down the Kokoda penisula for likely invasion of Australia.
Old 09-05-11, 02:03
Tony VAN RHODA

Default War movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Montgomery View Post

Marc

I do recall late last year there was a thread going for a while discussing various war movies, I think it was in the "Soft Skin Forum" and I recall I made comment about a film "Ice Cold In Alex" starring John Mills, I also commented on a, Boo Boo, where a Land Rover was seen in the background in the closing scene of the movie. As a lover and collector of old movies, I regularly like to see them over again. I am sure other MLU members may recall the thread and who knows we could keep it going.

Cheers

Tony

Last edited by zemsi; 09-05-11 at 19:25. Reason: shortened quotation
Old 13-05-11, 01:39

well didnt see it there...and didnt look too hard though.
.I started it here, coz this is where I thought the subject belongs..

another great film is a French film called " L'ENNEMI INTIME" (intimate enemies is the english title i think)
A gritty film about the war in Algeria...an idealistic young French officer, soon gets as bitter towards the enemy as everyone else

You may be able to rent it.. probably have to download it from pirate bay or somewhere like that
Old 13-05-11, 02:40
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jo View Post
Marc

I do recall late last year there was a thread going for a while discussing various war movies, I think it was in the "Soft Skin Forum" and I recall I made comment about a film "Ice Cold In Alex" starring John Mills, I also commented on a, Boo Boo, where a Land Rover was seen in the background in the closing scene of the movie. As a lover and collector of old movies, I regularly like to see them over again. I am sure other MLU members may recall the thread and who knows we could keep it going.

Cheers

Tony
Yes, I recall that thread...damned if I can find it yet. I recall making a comment about the soldier who was painted blue in "Ice Cold in Alex". Still dunno the significance of that portrayal.
Old 13-05-11, 04:01
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Lost command

Hi Mark and Jon

Nice to see we are off again on movies. I had a good look at the old threads and can't locate where we had the thread previously. I know there are a lot of MLU's out there who love the movies and maybe like to discuss them.

Marc you mentioned a French film " L'ENNEMI INTIME ", this reminded me of a movie made in 1966. "Lost Command" starring Anthony Quinn about the French Foreign Legion and their defeat in the battle of Dien Bien Phu in Vietnam. After returning to France a new battalion is formed to go to Algeria to sort out the rebellion there led by a former French Legionaire officer played by George segal.

This was a pretty good movie and shows a lot of ex WWII Jeeps which were used by the new battalion in Algeria. This will send the pulses racing for all Jeep buffs. See if you can hire the movie you won't regret watching it.

Cheers guys

Tony
Old 13-05-11, 05:14
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Kokoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Montgomery View Post

If so, I apologize in advance, but if not

One I'd nomiinate as a good one, is Kokoda..recently downloaded off the net. I rate it as very good indeed

Ozzies and Kiwis will likely know this one : a film set in WWII ...but doubtful many others will know it.
about the "chocos" as the regular Aussie force called them...chocolate soldeirs that would melt at the first sign of trouble...as these were volunteer civilian soldiers..

turns out they did a tremendous job stopping Japanese invasion plans down the Kokoda penisula for likely invasion of Australia.
Many of them ( Kokoda units like 39th battallion ), were made up from teenage soldiers , almost press ganged into the army and sent North without any seroius training. They faced crack experienced Japanese troops.
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 13-05-11, 09:52
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Kokoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
Many of them ( Kokoda units like 39th battallion ), were made up from teenage soldiers , almost press ganged into the army and sent North without any seroius training. They faced crack experienced Japanese troops.
John

You are correct and we should be proud of the lads of the 39th a CMF (Citizens Military Force) Militia Battalion known as Chocos or Weekend Warriors, the CMF were basically only to be used in Australia but sent to protect Australia from the Japanese push in New Guinea until arrival of the AIF's 2/14th and 2/16th from the Middle East, Prime Minister Curtin defied Churchill and withdrew the troops from the middle east to protect Australia from invasion. We owe a lot to these untried CMF Weekend Warriors who showed what kind of stuff we were made of. The rest is history. But we remember the 625 Killed and 1600 wounded. LEST WE FORGET.

Tony
Old 15-05-11, 23:59

There are clips of ennemi intime on youtube.
at that time and later in Lost Command, they were still using mostly WWII equipment...the jeeps were probabaly a mix of Willys, and Hotchkiss.. I remember seeing a number of Hotckiss jeeps when I was in Germany..in the 80s t he French army was releasing them and people were buying them up.. I remember a garage would buy them and stick in mercedes diesel engines.... Hotchkiss looked to all extents and purposes just like the Willys as they used the Willys moulds for body stampings
Old 16-05-11, 02:23
Tony VAN RHODA

Marc

Interesting information, just goes to show we keep learning more and more as we move deeper into our hobby. Here in Australia they are currently showing an advertisement on TV for the new 2011 Jeep Cherokee and the ad starts showing the 1941 - 42 Jeep going over the test track, this old footage in Black and White has been seen on MLU in the past, shows the Jeep flying through the air over the bumpy ground. Good ad actually.

Cheers

Tony