MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 16-04-05, 18:20

Default US M1 Helmet in WWII Canadian infantry

Hello,

I am interested in the history of US M1 Helmet in WWII Canadian infantry. Were M1s used only by the Canadian units at Kiska or also in the NW Europe? No problem to see Canadian soldier equipped with M1 Helmet at Kiska but I have never seen Canadian troops with M1s in the ETO with exception of Maj.-Gen. Harry W. Foster, GOC 4th Canadian Armoured Division.

Why Canada bought M1s from the USA? When? How many pcs? Did Canada buy Fixed Bale variant or also Swivel Bale? Was two-tone net on the Canadian M1s Canadian-made or other? Did the Commonwealth systems earphones fit to the M1s?

I am the most interested in Canadian M1s in the ETO, if they served there and then of course.

I would be thankful for your information

Best regards

C.
Old 17-04-05, 02:41

Hello Crewman

I just finished reading Battle Diary by Charles C. Martin DCM, MM who was CSM of A Company, Queens Own Rifles 3rd CDN Inf. Div and in it he mentions something relating to M1 Helmets in tthe ETO. He writes about a section of Chaudaries (spelling) infantry wearing US helmets (perhaps they were field testing? ). This strikes me as quite odd as he said said they all had US helmets on>?? Anyone have any further info on the level of issue of M1's ETO as Crewman was seeking.

Last edited by Waycool; 17-04-05 at 02:55.
Old 17-04-05, 10:34

Quote:
Originally posted by Waycool
Hello Crewman

I just finished reading Battle Diary by Charles C. Martin DCM, MM who was CSM of A Company, Queens Own Rifles 3rd CDN Inf. Div and in it he mentions something relating to M1 Helmets in tthe ETO. He writes about a section of Chaudaries (spelling) infantry wearing US helmets (perhaps they were field testing? ). This strikes me as quite odd as he said said they all had US helmets on>?? Anyone have any further info on the level of issue of M1's ETO as Crewman was seeking.
Hi Waycool

This is very interesting information and to my surprise it concerns De la Chaudiere Regiment, if "Chaudaries" in this book means what I can imagine as De la Chaudiere Regiment of course. At all photographs of this regiment troops I know Mk. II and Mk. III helmets can be seen on the soldiers heads. Also the reenactors of this regiment use British model helmets for their historic activity. But I do not know so many photos of this regiment as you know in Canada of course.

Thank you very much for your reply!

Best regards

C.
Old 17-04-05, 16:03

Hi Crewman

Yes, I thought it was odd in Martin's Biography he specifically mentions the US helmets at a jaunty angle on The Chaudaries. He went on to say something about the section of the Chaud's feeling no pain as they got into some liqour somewhere.

On a side note Crewman I met a veteran of the Polish 1st Armoured Division recently in my home town of Windsor, Ont. he was a tank driver said, not sure of the regiment though his surname is Vilk or WIlk if I remember correctly. We have a fairly large Polish community and a Polish Veterans Assoc. local.
Old 17-04-05, 17:29
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: US M1 Helmet in WWII Canadian infantry

Hi Guys;

I have seen pictures of the helmet in use with 1st Rocket Battery, R.C.A. and Queen's Own Rifles of Canada personnel while in North West Europe 1944-45. Some information I found concerning the use of the M1 by Canadian troops:

- in the fall of 1942 a few hundred were issued to Canadian troops in England for 'user trials'

- end of 1942, it was recommended for adoption by the Canadian forces, at which time Canada ordered a quarter million of them from the Americans

- early 1943, Canada changed it's mind and adopted the MkIII, but had to honour the American contract for at least 200,000 M1 helmets.

- it was decided that the MkII helmet would continue to be used in Europe, except for the 3rd Cdn Inf Div, who would be issued the new MkIII

- the M1 was to be issued to Canadian Army (Active) units in Pacific Command, due to pending joint operations in the Pacific Theatre alongside the Americans

- 13th Cdn Inf Bde Group issued with them for 'Kiska'

- 6th Cdn Inf Div, CAPF (Canadian Army Pacific Force) issued with them upon formation in 1945

Thats about all I have.

Cheers
Old 17-04-05, 22:26

Hello Gents,

Quote:
Originally posted by Waycool
Hi Crewman

Yes, I thought it was odd in Martin's Biography he specifically mentions the US helmets at a jaunty angle on The Chaudaries. He went on to say something about the section of the Chaud's feeling no pain as they got into some liqour somewhere.

On a side note Crewman I met a veteran of the Polish 1st Armoured Division recently in my home town of Windsor, Ont. he was a tank driver said, not sure of the regiment though his surname is Vilk or WIlk if I remember correctly. We have a fairly large Polish community and a Polish Veterans Assoc. local.
Waycool,

Thank you very much for your discussion about the M1s but you do have also other fantastic news for me because I am permanently looking for the veterans of Polish 1st Armoured Division to save as much history as possible and to interview them. Yes, it must be Wilk name, typical Polish name, today 30,095 people are going by the name of Wilk in Poland. I will write you a PM in the days to come if I may.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner

Thats about all I have.

Cheers
Mark,

Thank you very much for this info. So, thanks to Waycool and you there is a confirmation that the M1s served at the Canadian heads also in the ETO. I have six US WWII M1/M1C helmets and I have always wanted to have one in the Canadian colors, i.e. in two-tone net. Unfortunately I have never seen such a net in the militaria online shops though the Americans write that these nets are not so rare even in the USA.

Thank you for both of you!

Best

C.
Old 18-04-05, 04:20

Thumbs up

Crewman sure thing drop me a PM.

Thanks Mark for the details always spot on mate
Old 18-04-05, 23:11
RIP

Default Special Service Force-Italy

I may be wrong,but I do recall seeing Canadian members of this US/Canadian specialized unit wearing US style helmets during the Italian campaign.-Any other input on this fact!!
Old 18-04-05, 23:54

You are indeed correct Gary. The 1st Special Service Force- "The Devil's Brigade" (made up of both US and Canadian troops) was entirely equipped with US gear.
Old 19-04-05, 23:04
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default 1 SSF

Hi Guys:

There are a couple of good books on the history of the 1st SSF. For us'ns that were in the SSF in the 70's and 80's they were pretty much required reading and were sold in the Canex.

I'll see if I can find the titles and ISBNs.

I've seen the photos of the Rocket Battery chaps in the M1 but those are the only instances I was aware of until I read this thread.

Cheers! Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 24-04-05, 01:23
RIP

Default Tin Lids

When it comes to helmets on Canadian heads you have to refer to Roger Lucy's authoritative book "Tin Lids - Canadian Combat Helmets" published by Service Publications.
In mid-December 1942 Canada contracted for 250,000 US M-1 helmets. This was on the false belief that the UK was going to adopt these. By the time Canada realised its error, a large quantity had already been delivered and, in 1st Canadian Army, the PR announcement had already been made. (See photo)
Canada handed some over to US Army in NWE but kept most for use by Pacific Command and 6th Cdn Inf Div, later the Cdn Army Pacific Force. These helmets remianed in Canadian stock until replaced by the PASGT helmet.
Old 24-04-05, 01:50
Senior Forum Member

Talking Re: Tin Lids

Quote:
Originally posted by servicepub
When it comes to helmets on Canadian heads you have to refer to Roger Lucy's authoritative book "Tin Lids - Canadian Combat Helmets" published by Service Publications.
...is this a sales pitch....

P.S. ...when I wrote my earlier post on this thread, I didn't have my copy at hand and still can't find it, I may have to order another copy......me thinks I left my copy somewhere......

Cheers
Old 24-04-05, 02:00
RIP

It's a sales pitch if somebody buys, otherwise it's just crass advertising
Old 24-04-05, 02:15
Senior Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
It's a sales pitch if somebody buys
...me thinks I'll have to get myself over to www.servicepub.com and order me self a copy since I can't find the copy I had anywhere...... , actually, I think one of those 'eight pointed star' types pinched it when I was doing some research ......., I should never take my books with me.......
Old 24-04-05, 10:52

Default Re: Tin Lids

Quote:
In mid-December 1942 Canada contracted for 250,000 US M-1 helmets. This was on the false belief that the UK was going to adopt these. By the time Canada realised its error, a large quantity had already been delivered and, in 1st Canadian Army, the PR announcement had already been made. (See photo)
Canada handed some over to US Army in NWE but kept most for use by Pacific Command and 6th Cdn Inf Div, later the Cdn Army Pacific Force. These helmets remianed in Canadian stock until replaced by the PASGT helmet.
Thank you very much for all colleagues for their information

Very nice pic can be seen -- early, very deep M1 from the period before the press-forming tools corrections. What is interesting is the fact that early Canadian M1 is not equipped with paper liner and it had to come from the first batches equipped with low-pressure liners. For me also very interesting information is that the helmets remained in Canadian stock until replaced by the PASGT helmet. Does it mean that Canada bought after WWII high-pressure liners for those helmets or maybe the last GRP model liners? I am asking because it would be hard to believe that short life time WWII-era low-pressure liners could serve up to 1980s. Simply impossible in my opinion as a collector of the M1s among others.

One more time thank you very much

Best regards

C.
Old 24-04-05, 17:08
RIP

Default Helmet info

Crewman,

Roger Lucy, who wrote the book, sometimes visits here but you can also post helmet questions at Canuck, he visits there often. http://www.network54.com/Forum/28173