MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 19-12-06, 07:47
Vets Dottir

Something a little different ... and happen to be ideas I love

Support Our Troops, a new healthy virus spreading throughout Canada ......... there is no cure for it ... spread it at will

Quote:
By TAMARA KING, STAFF REPORTER

Robin Blecker and Angeie Zuber are making greeting cards for Canadian soldiers to send home from overseas. (C. Procaylo, Sun)

WAWANESA -- Hallmark just doesn't have a card to say, "Sorry for missing the birth of our daughter."

To help fill that gap a pair of military wives are launching an important Afghanistan mission: a greeting card-making crusade.

The homemade cards will be sent to soldiers overseas, giving troops a tangible way to send their love back to family and friends in Canada.

In places like Kandahar, Afghanistan, greeting cards are in short supply, says Angeie Zuber, whose husband is posted at CFB Shilo near Brandon. So short that when a military spouse receives a card from overseas, chances are she won't be the only one.

"There's a joke that I've heard around the base that all military wives across the country have the same anniversary cards on their mantles," Zuber says.

But Zuber and her partner in card-making, Robin Blecker, don't want to focus only on military spouses.

"There is a need for this. It isn't just a mushy-gushy, wifey thing," says Blecker.

They hope to collect cards for all sorts of occasions, and especially for children. When they marry into the military, spouses are aware of the sacrifices they'll have to make, says Blecker.

"We knew the life we chose. Children are born into it," she said.

But that doesn't make it easy, Blecker quickly adds, noting it's almost like being a single parent. She says she sometimes wonders if it can be harder than being a soldier fighting overseas. The mother of three spent two years living apart from her husband.

Like Zuber, Blecker's husband is posted at Shilo with the Royal Canadian Horse Artillery.

"Sometimes it's harder on us at home. It's very hard to be left alone," Blecker said.

For several hours a week, Zuber and Blecker huddle over a kitchen table, carefully measuring, cutting, lettering, and gluing whatever they can dream up to make a card designed especially for soldiers to send to their families.

Some of them are for kids, like the one that talks about missing a child's first goal in hockey. The pair designed a little pink baby dress card for soldiers who miss their daughter's birth. Another card, clearly aimed at spouses, says "Thank you for keeping the home fires burning."

Card-aganza

"If you say that to military wives, they'll know what you mean."

It's also a way to show soldiers that Canadians care about them, says Zuber.

"These are specially made, with love. And not for profit."

The pair plans to ship the first batch of cards to Kandahar in the new year, likely after an event they're affectionately calling "card-a-ganza," a half-day card-making marathon in Wawanesa, which is close to Shilo, the home base of many of Manitoba's military families.

The date for card-crafting in Wawanesa, which is about 175 kilometres west of Winnipeg, will be announced on their website at www.acardforhome.com or by calling their hotline at 1-866-830-3217. Snail mail is A Card For Home, Box 40, CFB Shilo, R0K 2A0.

Through their newly created website they want to enlist the non-military crowd in the card-making mission. They're hoping groups, such as seniors' homes and crafting clubs, as well as individuals will send generic, unsigned cards that can be shipped overseas.

Even the less-than-crafty types can get involved, says Zuber, noting donation information is available on the website. Money will be put toward craft materials and pens. With each card, they plan to send a pen, something that's also in short supply overseas.

Zuber and Blecker hope to have enough cards to fill several boxes.

"As an entire country, we've got to get with the program. We've got to support all our people in uniform -- soldiers, firefighters, police officers," says Zuber.
Old 20-12-06, 16:41
Vets Dottir

THIS from Canoe today

Quote:
December 20, 2006

They've got mail!

Cdns bombard troops with good wishes - and goodies

By DOUG BEAZLEY -- Sun Media

Cpl. Sonia Mathieu, 27, of Valcartier, QC is little shy around Santa, AKA Kandahar Bob AKA Robert Johnson, civilian who works on the base and plays Santa, second year in a row. (SUN/Alex Urosevic)
Listen, people, the guys who sort and ship mail at Kandahar Airfield aren't the sort to tell anyone what to do. But they have a favour to ask.

(To see photo with story, follow link below! Karmen)
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/War_Terr...f-2895482.html

Keep the maple syrup at home. Please.

"Yeah, that was a bad one," said Master Cpl. Patrick McMahon of 1 RCR out of Petawawa, smiling.

"Someone packed it wrong, and it broke, and didn't it leak all over the other parcels. Don't know what all else buddy had in that package of his, but I'm betting it came out sticky."

BUSY SEASON

One sticky package out of tens of thousands - still a pretty good batting average for the Canada Post service at KAF. This is their busy time of year, of course. Not that it ever really slows down.

"Since August ... let's see," said McMahon, scanning a clipboard. "We've moved 6,743 bags of mail, weighing a total of 116,883 kilos.

"Now, in this last week, you're talking 835 bags, 14,500 kilos. Since Dec. 8."

A little over 2,000 kilos a day. And not all of it even addressed to anyone in particular.

Since September, when Operation Medusa really turned Afghanistan and the Canadian military into a hot topic back home, there's been an outpouring of sympathy and support from hundreds of thousands of Canadian civilians - most of whom, apparently, don't actually know anyone serving overseas.

"We get a ton of unaddressed mail, usually posted to 'anyone in the Canadian Forces,'" said McMahon. "Padre usually gets it, and it takes a long time to get through.''

And the things they send. Toothpaste. Cookies. Candy. Toiletries. Sudoku puzzle books.

"Those things were huge a few months back," said Cpl. Claude Robichaud of the Fleet Mail Office.

There's also Kraft Dinner - tons of it.

"I guess it gives the guys on the line a break from rations, but we've been getting an awful lot of it," said Robichaud. "All it takes is for one guy on leave to say, 'Gee, I sure miss KD when I'm in Afghanistan,' and it's an avalanche."

Just this week, the Canadian Forces issued a press release pleading with the public to stop sending unaddressed care packages to Afghanistan.

"The CF resupply system cannot handle care packages addressed to 'Any CF member' for a variety of reasons, including security and volume," the release said.

The military does encourage people to write or post messages to the troops.

You can post electronically at:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Communi...rd/index_e.asp

If you want to send something unaddressed via snail mail, you can do that too. Go to the forces website at www.forces.gc.ca and follow the links to find the addresses.

The troops particularly appreciate letters from kids. Schools can bundle up letters from an entire class in one large envelope and send it on. It'll cheer them up - no lie.

But don't get the impression that Christmas in Kandahar is going to be a miserable experience for Canadian soldiers. For one thing, the food will get better.

Troops serving in the field in southern Afghanistan will circulate through FOB Ma'sum Ghar, section by section, between Christmas Eve and Boxing Day.

They'll get a hot turkey dinner (a welcome break from rations) and a chance to read their mail before heading back out on the line.

For those lucky enough to be back in KAF at Christmas, there will be distractions aplenty. The new Canada House will be open Christmas Day, complete with a barber shop, movie theatre and ice cream parlour.

TWO BEERS APIECE

There are concerts planned, a hockey tournament, a barbecue and - of course - a special meal at the central mess. The soldiers will get two beers apiece over the Christmas period.

The camp won't empty out - no more than 20% of personnel are on leave at any one time, Christmas notwithstanding. But everybody gets 35 minutes per week of free long distance phone calls home, and all the e-mail they can send.

It won't be the same as Christmas in Canada. But for a war zone, it won't be all that bad, either.
Old 27-12-06, 21:52
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

I'm listening to Beccy as we speak. An awesome lady. As an Honourary Digger... well, hell's bells. Guys, I'm on your side.

Old 27-12-06, 21:56

Damn... Kraft Dinner and Maple Syrup... crikey....
Old 06-01-07, 15:16

Default Vandoos

Sounds like they're gonna do just fine... as I expected. They have a fine tradition of service to uphold. They will do so.

Quote:
January 5, 2007

Taliban rockets target Canucks

By BILL GRAVELAND

Captain Josh Major, right, and two other soldiers call in air support as Canadian and Afghan troops took part in a 45 minute firefight with Taliban forces Friday in Lacookhal, Afghanistan. (CP/Bill Graveland)
LACOOKHAL , Afghanistan (CP) - The long line of vehicles heading north from the area around this tiny village in Panjwaii district was a dead giveaway that something was not right.

Two hours later a barrage of rockets, rocket-propelled grenades and mortars rained down upon Canadian and Afghan troops here, who had been going from compound to compound looking for the Taliban. On this day they found them.

"The locals knew something was up and that the Taliban were here," said Capt. Josh Major, 31, of Chelmsford, Ont. "They know what is going on," he added.

Major and other members of OMLT (Operational Mentoring Liason Team) had been on patrol with the Afghan National Army. After combing through a number of the vast mud compounds which dot this region came word that seven armed men had been spotted to the south.

As the troops moved further south, walking through the deep, dusty ditches of grape fields, the sound of a large explosion could be heard. Moments later, a plume of black smoke was on the horizon.

A series of rockets and rocket-propelled grenades whistled overhead, landing and exploding in a cloud of smoke and dust about 250 metres away. A mortar landed 50 metres away causing Canadian soldiers to duck for cover while their Afghan allies seemed undaunted by the noise and confusion. The deep, throaty rat-a-tat-tat of the machine-guns on the Afghan trucks replied after every salvo.

"No problem. It's cool," said one Afghan soldier flashing a grin as he walked by, a cigarette hanging from his mouth.

The attack came to a standstill once air support was called in. Once the drone of the F-16 was heard overhead, the Taliban stopped firing and headed west on foot. An air strike wasn't possible because there were still civilians in the area. But the plane flew low through the valley, firing off some flares in a show of force.

Major said he expected something was going to happen partially because of the exodus from the region and partly because of the location of the patrol.

"You never go looking for a fight but you knew it was coming. You knew eventually if you started going south we were going to get hit by something sooner or later," said Major.

"That's what happened and I think it all worked out."

Operation Baaz Tsuka is in its third and final stage and is seeking to clear out pockets of Taliban in this region. Members of the ANA grew visibly excited when told that a large mountain, clearly visible about two kilometres to the west, was a Taliban stronghold and believed to house about 50 Taliban fighters.

Friday's attack was thought to involve 15 to 20 Taliban fighters and it was believed that two or three were wounded or killed.

"(It's) Based on talking to the guys. A guy pops up, buddy shoots, and he goes down and doesn't come up again," added Major. "If he didn't get hit then he got scared off and doesn't want to fight anymore and he ran away."

It was the first taste of battle for most of the OMLT team, members of the Royal 22e Regiment, the Vandoos based in Val Cartier, Que.

"It's just another day at the office," shrugged Master Cpl. Luigi Ouellet of Quebec City.

"That is the first time that they shoot at me. It was not too bad. All the drills are coming by themselves and you don't even have to think so it was cool," said Pte. Dominic Cimon, 21, of Montreal.

Nobody was injured and that isn't so bad," he said.

Nobody expected that the Taliban would simply go away, said Major, who noted the Canadians are not liked by the terrorist group.

"They don't want us here in the area and they're willing to do a lot to protect what they think is right, which is their own power," he said.

But the threat on this day was past, said Major, pointing at the road.

A long line of cars was headed south back into the area.
Old 08-01-07, 01:41
Vets Dottir

Here is a link for some videos tributes to Canadian soldiers ... on the right side is a list of different videos ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IvXqZ_1v_Y

Karmen
Old 08-01-07, 02:02
Vets Dottir

I like this one ... some good times images ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhxuz...elated&search=
Old 10-01-07, 22:49
Addicted to Drab

Default Rick Mercer in Afganistan

Rick Mercer in Afghanistan

This is an article about Christmas in Kandahar with Rick Mercer & Gen. Hillier,and a small group of entertainers and a few politicians.

Christmas in flak jackets From a showbiz perspective, General Hillier is a tough act to follow, says RICK MERCER.

A few months ago, General Rick Hillier promised me a Christmas I would never forget; turns out he is a man of his word.

This year, on Christmas morning, I was in Sperwan Ghar in the Panjwai district of Afghanistan sitting around a single-burner Coleman stove with a dozen Canadian soldiers. Rush was on the stereo and we were watching a pot of Tetley tea bags threaten to boil. Outside it was wet and muddy, but inside the sandbag bunker where these Royal Canadian Dragoons ate and slept it was warm and as comfortable as one could expect under the circumstances. Corporal Frank Farrell was in charge of the pot and there was no top on it this morning -- this was not to be rushed.

Gen. Hillier is a very persuasive man. He is also a Newfoundlander. And while he is the chief of the Canadian Forces it has been suggested that he might think he is the chief of all Newfoundlanders. He'll call you up and suggest to you that on Dec. 25 there is only one place you should be and it's so special that by agreeing to go there you render your life insurance null and void. You aren't asked so much as you are told.

This was my third trip to Afghanistan but my first at Christmas. Gen. Hillier was on a personal mission to shake hands with every man and woman wearing a Canadian uniform in Afghanistan and the Persian Gulf and I was along for the ride. The way he described it was simple: "It's Christmas" he said, "and all we are going to do is pop in and say hello to a few folks." In Canada "popping in to say hello" at Christmas is just a matter of arranging for a designated driver or making sure you have cab fare in your pocket. This was a little more complicated.

It started with a nine-hour flight overseas, stopping in Croatia for gas, and then onward to a military base that dare not speak its name or reveal its location. Once there, we immediately boarded a Sea King helicopter for a night flight across the water so we could land on the deck of the HMCS Ottawa.

On this leg of the trip there were three other Newfoundlanders -- broadcaster Max Keeping, singer-songwriter Damhnait Doyle and my old colleague Mary Walsh -- and three members of the Conservative caucus -- whip Jay Hill, MP Laurie Hawn and President of the Treasury Board John Baird. I was happy they were issued flak jackets and helmets because I had a sneaking suspicion that the combination of Walsh and the three Tories might make some recent skirmishes with the Taliban insurgency seem tame in comparison. If it came down to a three-on-one donnybrook, my money was on the Warrior Princess.

And so, on the night before Christmas Eve, our little gang of Newfoundlanders along with 50 or so sailors closed the mess on the HMCS Ottawa. We laughed until we were stupid. It felt like Christmas. After sunrise, Gen. Hillier addressed the troops on the deck of the ship. This was the first of countless speeches he would give over the next four days. He is funny as hell and inspiring as anyone I have ever seen speak. He makes soldiers laugh and then he makes them cry. He thanks them all in a way that makes everyone grow inches. From a show business perspective, he is a tough act to follow, but follow we did. When it came Damhnait's turn to say a few words she sang a song, and if there is a better way to kick off an adventure than watching Damhnait Doyle and 250 sailors sing O Canada on the deck of a Canadian warship as it sails the Gulf I can't think of it.

After HMCS Ottawa, it was straight back to the base for a three-hour nap before a 3 a.m. wakeup call for the flight to Kandahar. Once in Kandahar, we had the standard briefing that is mandatory for visiting entertainers and or the head-injured. When the siren goes, do what you're told, when everything seems fine do what you're told and, when in doubt, do what you're told.

From there we went "over the wire." It was Christmas Eve and Gen. Hillier wanted to make it to all the forward operating bases. These bases are all former Taliban strongholds. For the most part they are high points of land that were hard-fought-for. Some of the bases are nothing but points of land with soldiers living in tents, trenches and bunkers. This is the front line of a war.

Charlie Company at Patrol Base Wilson was the first group we spoke to. These are the men and women who are working under maximum threat levels in Afghanistan. They are out there on patrol every day, for days at a time, engaging the enemy. They have all lost friends here. They have a bit of the
10,000-mile stare -- which is to be expected -- so from the point of view of a guy who stands around and tells jokes for a living, this is what you would call a tough crowd. Gen. Hillier was right, though; he told me that just showing up was enough and everything else was gravy.

That afternoon we made our way by convoy to Strong Point West, home to Bravo Company. This was still Christmas Eve and we arrived in time to help serve their Christmas meal. Gen. Hillier worked the turkey, senior officers worked the potatoes and vegetables and I pulled up the rear as chief gravy server. I must admit I felt pretty darn important serving the gravy. These guys get a cooked meal about every three to four days. For the most part they eat rations out of a bag wherever they find themselves. Plus they get shot at. Anything hot with gravy is a very, very big deal. As the guy with the gravy ladle I was probably -- for the duration of the serving line -- the most popular man on Earth.

And so this year for Christmas dinner I sat on the ground in the dust and ate turkey loaf and gravy on a paper plate. Everyone except me had a gun. There was lots of talk of home and, like anyone's Christmas dinner, there were lots of pictures. At one point, the designated photographers had
10 digital cameras in their hands at a time trying to get the group shots.

Everywhere you go in Afghanistan where there are Canadian soldiers you see Christmas cards and letters supporting the troops. Some of the tents and accommodations are decorated with so many home-made cards from schoolkids that you would swear you had wandered into an elementary-school lunchroom and not a mess hall. It's amazing to see groups of battle-weary soldiers wrapped in ammunition and guns stopping to read these things with the attention that is usually reserved solely for the parent. I was in a tent with two guys in their early 20s who were poring over a stack of letters and class photos and separating them into piles. I was a little taken aback that these young guys, in the middle of a war zone, would be so moved by support from Grade 4 classes until I realized the deciding factor for the favourites pile was which teacher was hotter.

On Christmas morning, the convoy headed to Sperwan Ghar. The troops here sleep in dugouts with sandbag perimeters. After the speeches and hellos, a corporal asked me back to his quarters for a cup of tea. He was, like so many guys here, a Newfoundlander. And so that's where I spent Christmas morning, watching corporal Frank Farrell stir the teapot while a dozen or so guys hung out and exchanged cards and had a few laughs.

The crowd in the bunker wasn't there just for the tea. They had been waiting a long time for Corporal Farrell to open the Eversweet margarine tub that he received a few weeks ago in the mail. In the tub was his mom's Christmas cake. When the tea was perfect and our paper cups were filled, the tape was pulled from the tub and we all agreed: Bernadette Farrell makes the best Christmas cake in Canada.

The trip carried on. We visited more forward operating bases. Gen. Hillier made good on his goal of shaking hands with practically ever soldier in harm's way this Christmas. And by late afternoon we took the convoy back through "ambush ally" to the main base in Kandahar for the prime show of the tour for about 800 soldiers in the newly opened Canada House.

Max Keeping was our master of ceremonies, Gen. Hillier gave a speech of a lifetime, Mary Walsh made me laugh like the old days, Damhnait Doyle sang like an angel and the Montreal rock band Jonas played late into the night. I was supposed to take the microphone for 15 minutes, but I stayed for 25. A tad selfish, but honestly I can't imagine I will have so much fun performing ever again.

Everywhere we went on this trip men and women in uniform thanked our little gang for giving up our Christmas to be with them in Afghanistan. I know that I speak for everyone when I say we gave very little and we received far too much. We met great friends, we had lots of laughs and dare I say had the best Christmas ever.

Rick Mercer is host of The Rick Mercer Report on CBC-TV.
Old 11-01-07, 01:37

Thanks Mike, that was excellent. I knew that man had soul.
Old 11-01-07, 22:36

Canadian soldier injured in landmine blast
Updated Thu. Jan. 11 2007 12:22 PM ET
CTV.ca News Staff
A Canadian soldier is suffering from serious, non-life threatening injuries after stepping on a landmine Thursday in southern Afghanistan.
"This happens quite a lot, it's one of the more dangerous things that soldiers face which is the buried landmines that they so often step on or that their vehicles go over," said CTV's South Asia Bureau Chief Paul Workman from Afghanistan.
MCpl. Jody Mitic from 1st Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment, was injured while conducted a routine pre-dawn patrol about three kilometres west of the volatile Panjwaii district, confirmed Lieut. Sue Stefko.
He was taken to hospital at Kandahar airfield.
Stefko said Mitic is in stable condition but will most likely be evacuated to the U.S. military hospital in Germany for more medical attention.
The patrol was part of Operation Falcon Summit, which has been targeting Taliban fighters and bomb-making facilities in the region since mid-December.
So far, troops have faced light resistance by Taliban forces in the operation.
Meanwhile, NATO said Thursday that as many as 150 insurgents were killed in a battle in eastern Afghanistan near the border with Pakistan.
The fighters, travelling with several trucks of ammunition, had crossed the border from Pakistan and were attacked with ground fire and air strikes, said NATO.
"NATO sources say they were in touch with Pakistani officials the entire time that this operation was going on," said Workman.
"Of course this is a very touchy subject... Afghanistan accuses the Pakistani administration of supporting the Taliban and allowing their Taliban leaders and fighters to take refuge in Pakistan and cross the border at will."
Afghan officials estimated the death toll at between 50 to 80 fighters. It was not immediately clear why there was such a wide difference in the estimated death toll.
Taliban spokesperson, Dr. Muhammad Hanif, called the death toll "a complete lie" in a text message sent to an Associated Press reporter.
"The Americans want to boost morale of their troops while making such claims,'' said the message.
The fight in the Bermel district of Paktika province marks the first major exchange between NATO and the Taliban since the start of 2007.
With files from The Canadian Press

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...0111?hub=World
Old 12-01-07, 18:32
Dave Demorrow

thats a US army trooper
42 6LB GUN
and the list keeps growing, and growing.... i need help LOL
Old 12-01-07, 22:17

Hi Dave

By gum, you're right.

That ain't no Canadian rifle. It's got a carrying handle on the upper receiver!! How quaint.

I suppose you were going by the T-Shirt. I saw that too but since many Cdn soldiers have those USArmy ones too(myself and my daughter included), I didn't click.

That and the ratty tent lines should have tipped me off!!

Good eye, mate.

regards
Darrell

Geoff- Please delete my previous post as it is irrelevant to this thread.
Old 12-01-07, 22:21
Vets Dottir

Quote:
regards
Darrell

Geoff- Please delete my previous post as it is irrelevant to this thread. [/B]
Hi Darrell,

Geoff seems MIA at the moment so I did the honours for you

Karmen
Old 12-01-07, 22:33
Dave Demorrow

now you didnt need to do that, it was a nice picture. and he had the entire US army PT suit on.
42 6LB GUN
Old 12-01-07, 22:45
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by alleramilitaria
now you didnt need to do that, it was a nice picture. and he had the entire US army PT suit on.
If you mean removing the post at Darrell's request,
I'm sorry

I personally liked the photo and soldier tending to the green green grass of home for a boost to help make being away from home brighter, as well

Karmen
Old 12-01-07, 22:49
Dave Demorrow

well then....... put it back!!!

please
42 6LB GUN
Old 12-01-07, 22:53
Vets Dottir

Quote:
well then....... put it back!!!

please
I can't ... it's pfffft

BUT ... maybe Darrell can be convinced to change his mind and put it back by popular demand? I actually just PM'ed him about this

Occassionally I'm efficient ... and thats sometimes at the wrong time! Sorry!

Karmen
Old 13-01-07, 13:31

Hi All

Nothing bad meant by it, honest.

I too liked it but it just didn't fit in this thread, did it? After it was identified as a US soldier I merely did some playful teasing and asked it be removed.

I'll put it up in it's own thread, OK? I'll leave the narrative out as it's obviously wrong. If any of our US members can run down the facts then they'll have a thread to post it in. I can't even say it's Afghanistan at this point. It may well be Iraq.

In Geoff's absence Karmen was just doing as I had asked so be nice to her. Send her some sweets or something!! Maybe some sours as we all know she's sweet enough.

Give me a minute......................

regards
Darrell
Old 13-01-07, 19:24
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Darrell Zinck
Hi All

In Geoff's absence Karmen was just doing as I had asked so be nice to her. Send her some sweets or something!! Maybe some sours as we all know she's sweet enough.

regards

Darrell
You sweet-talker you Now I owe you a sour brew or two ... and Dave owes me one

Thanks for putting that soldier and his grass garden back in a thread, Darrell. I do love the whole idea and mood of that photo. I hope someone can tell the story.

Bless Bless to all soldiers "while over there somewhere"

Karmen
Old 13-01-07, 19:41
Dave Demorrow

i owe ya one??????
ow yea womans logic :dh:
42 6LB GUN
Old 13-01-07, 19:50
Vets Dottir

Quote:
i owe ya one??????
Okay, okay, I'll share one with you then! But you're buying

Ma Yappy
Old 13-01-07, 19:52
Dave Demorrow

im marrierd i am always buying......
42 6LB GUN
Old 13-01-07, 20:02

Quote:
i owe ya one??????
It's universal... git over it!
Old 13-01-07, 20:09
Vets Dottir

Quote:
im marrierd i am always buying......
"Life is a b*tch and then ya die, right?"

(uh oh, I better run like heck now ................................ !)
Old 13-01-07, 20:10
Dave Demorrow

sorry all im just a little under the weather and its cold outside, got down to 40 today
42 6LB GUN
Old 13-01-07, 20:20
Vets Dottir

Quote:
sorry all im just a little under the weather and its cold outside, got down to 40 today
The sheepskin will keep you warm ... get better soon!

It's -19 here right now and will be crossing to -20's over the next week ... makes for very nippy walks to and from hospital for my several appointments next week ... brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ....

Karmen
Old 13-01-07, 20:23
Dave Demorrow

no sheep skin, 2 aussie shepard / husky mix dogs that love the bed, ow yea and the wife
42 6LB GUN
Old 13-01-07, 20:25
Vets Dottir

Quote:
no sheep skin, 2 aussie shepard / husky mix dogs that love the bed, ow yea and the wife
Dogs are great, but wife is best for wamth as you also get TLC

K.
Old 16-01-07, 04:30

U.S. warns Taliban are planning spring offensive
Updated Mon. Jan. 15 2007 6:50 PM ET
Canadian Press
KANDAHAR, Afghanistan -- There are growing warnings among U.S. military ranks that Kandahar, the "holy grail" for Taliban militants, will once again be the central objective of an anticipated spring offensive.
The high sign is coming not only from American commanders on the ground, but senior officials with newly appointed U.S. Defence Secretary Robert Gate, who is expected to travel to Afghanistan in the coming days.
The senior Canadian commander in Afghanistan said he doesn't believe the province of Kandahar, nor the city itself, would bear the brunt of a spring offensive if one materializes, adding he has confidence his U.S. allies will not yield any ground.
"Clearly if they're talking publicly about it, there's no doubt in my mind that they would have plans to deal with it," said Brig.-Gen. Tim Grant in an interview with The Canadian Press.
Canadian troops were in the thick of bloody fighting throughout much of last year as Taliban insurgents mounted their most determined campaign since the 2001 overthrow of their government, to retake the country's second largest city.
In published reports last week, U.S. army Brig.-Gen. Anthony Tata was quoted as saying the Taliban is expected to unleash a campaign in eastern Afghanistan to cut the vital road between Kabul and Kandahar. The ultimate objective would be to seize Kandahar, where the hardline Islamic movement was founded.
The warning was repeated last weekend by a senior official travelling with Gates when he met with British Prime Minister Tony Blair in London.
"There's no doubt the Taliban understand operational-level tactics," said Grant.
"It would be a tremendous coup for them if they were able to cut the Kandahar-Kabul highway, but I have tremendous faith in the Americans operating in (Regional Command) East that they would not allow that to happen."
Tata, who is deputy commander of the American 10th Mountain Division, and U.S. marine commandant Gen. James Conway say a marine combat brigade should be sent to eastern Afghanistan to reinforce the area along the border with Pakistan. U.S. media reports over the weekend also suggest Britain is considering adding to the 5,600 troops it already has the country, most of whom are stationed in the neighbouring province of Helmand.
Underscoring the growing concern, Gates met Monday in Brussels with the secretary general of NATO to talk about the Alliance's 30,000 troops who are fighting in the troubled country. Last fall, NATO commanders also called for an additional combat brigade, a request that was met with a half-hearted response by members.
Grant said he didn't want to comment on the "tactical situation outside" of his operational area, but indicated he's skeptical insurgents would be able to mount a major conventional military operation.
"I would question the Taliban's ability to launch to an offensive that would allow them to cut and hold that road for any length of time," he said.
Last fall, Canadian troops led a major offensive to break the back of militant strength in arid farmland west of Kandahar. The success of Operation Medusa and the slow return to normal life for residents of the Panjwaii district adds to Grant's cautious optimism that the coming months will not be as bloody as the last year.
"We've dealt some severe blows to the senior leadership of the Taliban in this province, so from that standpoint it will take them some time to recuperate," he said.
The buoyancy is further supported by the relative calm that has washed over the troubled province, which comes as Canadian troops consolidate their gains of last fall with another operation - Falcon's Summit - meant to win over soft Taliban supporters in rural areas west of Kandahar.
In a recent background briefing, a senior officer revealed that military planners have set themselves a goal of declaring the Canadian zone of influence in Kandahar and the surrounding area "secure" by July of this year. Secure is defined as local "residents not being afraid" to go about their business.
Grant didn't say whether he believed the objective could be met and cautioned: "We haven't seen the end of the Taliban in this province."
Kandahar is still the heartland for the extremist movement, he said.
"This is where it all started. There is no doubt the last Taliban fighting in Afghanistan will be fighting in Kandahar province."

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...0115?hub=World
Old 16-01-07, 04:34
Dave Demorrow

they always have a spring offensive, every year, soviet, afghan, US, NATO..... every year they spend all winter in PK and then come out when the passes clear.
42 6LB GUN