MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 22-08-09, 02:00
John

Default tires for 1941 Ford crash truck 9.00 x 18

Hi Gentlemen : I am restoring a crash tender ex-Trenton and need to find 9.00 x 18 RCAF tires . Can anyone help me . Is there an alternative so I can get this truck certified. John Downs Toronto.
Old 22-08-09, 02:46
John

Default tires for 1941 Ford crash truck 9.00 x 18

Looking for tires for my restoration. Any out there Firestone 9.00x18 RCAF.
Thanks John Downs Toronto
Old 22-08-09, 04:30

Default Bonjour Capt. John

Sounds like you need a set of tires normally found on Gamma Goats in the US or the old amphibious DUCK........

They are very hard to find....even used.... as it is an odd size.

Brian Ashbury in Milton might be a source of info at 519-853-1738

Another possible source is Wallace W. Wade from Texas..... he is taking orders to run a minimum repro batch....you can reach him at WallaceWade.com

The last special order of tires took about two years to accumulate enough demand to run the tires..... they are made by Specialty Tires form Penn. and can be shipped directly form the factory saving some freight

Now all this information will cost you.....

We of MLU are suckers for pictures... in fact most of us can't read.... so do thrill us with pictures.

Sorry I could not be of more help but do stay on the MLU and keep us posted of your progress and/or frustrations......

Boobee
Canada
Old 22-08-09, 05:15

Default Found some 18 inch tires...

Made by Denman.... retailed by many including Universal....

http://www.universaltire.com/cart.ph...ategory_id=342

BUT...... only in 1100 x 18 which is the modern Gamma Goat tires.... they probably would look very good..... listed at $321.00 each....ouch

Will now need a picture of you and the fire truck !!!!!

BooBee
Canada
Old 23-08-09, 15:34

The actual maker of many of the tires sold by Universal, Coker and other vintage tire sellers is Specialty Tires of America http://www.stausaonline.com/ They were the maker of the 1050-16 directional tires that we have discussed so much in the thread http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/sh...&threadid=2421 for example. There is no listing on their site for a 900-18 tire (interested to note that I didn't see the 1050-16 listed any more, perhaps they've sold all of the first run?).
If you can get friendly with someone at a large commercial tire seller, preferably an "old-timer" who can use a paper catalog and remembers what (and maybe more importantly where) he used to be able to buy unusual tires, you may be able to track down some original tires in the corner of a warehouse. Toronto is big enough, still with industry (not just administration), that this could work for you.
Also, you may want to try other forums aimed at commercial trucks and busses (and fire trucks). I suggest busses because I think that some busses in the 30s-40s used larger section 18 inch tires on the front to have capacity closer to the dual 20 inch tires at the rear while maintaining a similar diameter.
I remember photos of Ford 6x6 and 6x4 conversions for airfield use that were fitted with directional tread tires, size unknown. My memory is of a tire profile closer to commercial proportions than military. Next challenge is to find photos or references.
Old 02-09-09, 00:00
John

Default 1941 crash tender photos are coming

I am waiting to hear from a wheel builder who is trying to weld the centre of the wheel into a new outer rim so I may convert to a conventional truck tire. It is too dangerous to work on the split rims and very hard to find 6 new tires. I will attach photos
Name:  1941[1].jpg
Views: 57
Size:  30.5 KB
This is a similar vehicle.
Old 02-09-09, 02:02

Default Too bad.......

...... my 5 cents worth..... there is absolutely nothing wrong or dangerous with the original rims as long as the person working with/on them is competent........ most professional truck tire shop know how do install the tires properly.

It might have been cheaper to track down 18 inch Gamma Goat military bar thread tires but then they would not be any more original than modern tires a lot depends on how many tens of thousands of miles you intend to drive per year.

Good luck on the restoration.

Bob C.
Canada
Old 02-09-09, 09:56
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFS.capt View Post
I am waiting to hear from a wheel builder who is trying to weld the centre of the wheel into a new outer rim so I may convert to a conventional truck tire.
Hi John,

Welcome to this forum!

If I were you I would source six 20" wheels, as Fords were delivered with that size too and truck tyres in that size are plentiful. That way you can keep the 18" wheels, in case some 18" tyres turn up.

Here are some more pics of survivors of your type of truck: http://www.geocities.com/marmonherri...truck_cdn.html

Regards,
Hanno
Old 03-09-09, 16:44

Default 9.00 x 18 not the right size?

The Ford conversions that had duals had 20" rims on, the big single tyre option was 8.25 x 18, as found on my MH -Ford SnoGo.

I actually have one NOS 8.25 x 18 tyre here in Scotland, and I own another two that are in the US I haven't had picked up.

I wonder if your truck had 8.25 x 18 tyres originally?
Old 05-09-09, 22:04
John

Have seen others with the 9.00 x 18 so I am pretty sure this was the original size. The truckin the restore photos has the same size.It has been 6 years looking for that size so I dont think they are available except in China and I have to order 300 tires for a run . Shiping would also be a killer. It is cheaper I think to rebuild the rim and run conventional truck tires and suffer the loss of the military tire look.
Attached Images