MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 18-04-08, 11:45
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default population of Toronto CANADA

I was listening to a local ABC radio show and somebody mentioned that the population of Toronto is growing by 100,000 annually . That's 100K more humans in Toronto each year .. Is that true ? Aparently it's migration doing it .

Mike
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 18-04-08, 12:00
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Yes, but the impact is greater than that, because as fast as we fill Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver with 3rd World immigrants, people who've been there for many generations are moving out. I'm now actually a minority in the city I was born in, and I'll be long gone by this time next year...

On the bright side, once you get outside the large urban regions, Canada is just...... Canada. It's strange, though. Blame a generation of liberal-left leadership at the highest levels, and as we all know, once a policy is solidly entrenched in government circles, it's nigh on impossible to change it.
Old 19-04-08, 09:47
Richard Notton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball View Post
Yes, but the impact is greater than that, because as fast as we fill Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver with 3rd World immigrants, people who've been there for many generations are moving out.
Oh! You're talking about Canada, I thought it was England for a moment.

At least you have a very, very big land mass. . . . . . . . .

People also overlook, and the officialdom doesn't want to let it out, that one "permit" often covers a whole family which handily skews the data downwards, plus even more hidden is the 5:1 apparent breeding ratio increase of many classes of immigrants here.

Interesting that an "official" 200,000 more per annum are coming in here against those leaving.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=260

Quote:
I'm now actually a minority in the city I was born in, and I'll be long gone by this time next year...
Lucky its only the city. . . . . . . . . . . .

Where is Enoch Powell when you need him? The most erudite but maligned and mis-understood person you could find.

I too had a plan to be gone by the same time, however, some entirely cavalier fiscal machinations the other side of the water have currently served to reduce my pension growth by 20% and similarly my currency, which represents an unworkable loss of converted value of my home, that is assuming the base value hasn't also dropped owing to fiscal millstone we have just been thrown from afar.

Maybe this is the "special arrangement" from some 60 odd years ago that I am constantly reminded of by our illustrious, and unelected leader; I thought having finally paid off lend-lease (+interest) for all these years then we'd have a few pennies spare, not so it seems.

Anyway, look on the bright side; the one size fits all €, doesn't, and the flight from abroad into alternative "firmer", "federal" money, might be a big mistake.

The whole €zone finance would appear to be an inverted pyramid like the business end of a Vickers hardness tester bearing down on our correct and efficient German chums; should their surface temper prove insufficient then the € will come down like an idling 777-236 ER at Heathrow; which will suit me just fine.

I think Bayerische Motorenn Werke are laying off people and together with those at the Stuttgart Star and Dr. Ferdinand's crew, are having a bit of a job shifiting even more expensive cars into the previous happy hunting grounds that now have even softer currencies.

Similarly if you are in the market for an A380 then its just got a lot more expensive; unless you can get EADS to take the hit.

World renown experts stated this week that some €zone economies are "circling the plug-hole" and likely two countries may well be obliged to leave the "club".

Oh dear.

R.
Exceedingly grumpy of a cold, wet, windy and grey (no surprises there then) Shirrell Heath facing at least one more English winter and a continuing tirade of Govt spin - the official term for lying.
Old 23-04-08, 11:39
Richard Notton

Default 23rd April

Not entirely the right place for this but there is a connection, of sorts.

Its England day today, but best not get too excited about it for fear of entanglements with officialdom since we could give offence to others as we are regularly told.

I shall not hang my large St. George cross out the front of the house since:

A. The local authorities will likely tell me to remove it, as has happened.

B. Half the population will think, incorrectly, I have an interest in football.

Must rush and check my rubbish bin, wouldn't want the lid ajar would we, I can do without a criminal record:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...e_id=1770&ct=5

Welcome to the madhouse.

R.

(Now, why do I want to leave?)
Old 23-04-08, 11:49
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Notton View Post
Welcome to the madhouse.
Where's the bit about the rotating knives? Must have missed that somehow...
Old 23-04-08, 12:28
Richard Notton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball View Post
Where's the bit about the rotating knives? Must have missed that somehow...

Don't be silly Ball-W, they were banned 450AD.

Keep yer voice down, any mention of knives now and the Kevlar Cowboys will be round here in 2 mins flat; regular plod take anything from 2 hours to 2 weeks.

R.
Old 23-04-08, 12:35
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Notton View Post
Must rush and check my rubbish bin, wouldn't want the lid ajar would we, I can do without a criminal record:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...e_id=1770&ct=5

Welcome to the madhouse.

R.

(Now, why do I want to leave?)
It's getting like that here . A suburban council in Sydney NSW, is experimenting with micro chips in ratepayers plastic wheelie bins . They want to know the breakdown of rubbish by weight , and whos rubbish it is . A Melbourne suburban council , checking on the ratepayers , would hire a aircraft and check out backyards for illegal construction of garages, outhouses or sheds . The '1984' premise has come to haunt us all, George Orwell got it right all those years ago. Sadly, his theoretical imagined world is now our ' real ' world .What a thinker he was . Animal Farm, my fav. I've seen many humans who think and act like those pigs .

Richard, sometimes , it takes me a while to decipher your words , I get the point of it most of the time .. I'm a high school dropout , go easy .

Mike
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 23-04-08, 13:12
Richard Notton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
It's getting like that here . A suburban council in Sydney NSW, is experimenting with micro chips in ratepayers plastic wheelie bins . They want to know the breakdown of rubbish by weight , and whos rubbish it is .
You're catching up in the New World then, been done here. People have already been prying them off and thus going to court for criminal damage too.

When they do mine I'll not touch it, however, I can generate 1kW of RF from 1.8MHz to 29.5MHz, pair of 4X250's or four 572B's, whatever you fancy; I wonder how good their chips are for EMC?

Quote:
A Melbourne suburban council , checking on the ratepayers , would hire a aircraft and check out backyards for illegal construction of garages, outhouses or sheds .
And that too has been the norm here for many years now.

Quote:
The '1984' premise has come to haunt us all, George Orwell got it right all those years ago. Sadly, his theoretical imagined world is now our ' real ' world .What a thinker he was . Animal
Farm, my fav. I've seen many humans who think and act like those pigs .
Quite so.

Quote:
Richard, sometimes , it takes me a while to decipher your words , I get the point of it most of the time .. I'm a high school dropout , go easy .
Oh dear, too old to change the obtuseness now; anyway gives you something to wile away the time. . . . . . . . . .

R.
Old 24-04-08, 03:07
M38A1 CDN3

Mike, now that you've read Richard's and Sunray's comments, perhaps you'll realize our collective frustration about the "overwhelmingness" of the immigrant situation.

We are getting (gotten?) swamped with Third World people who share neither our altruism nor our values. They use our countries as "flags of convenience" and profess allegiance only to their own country, notwithstanding the flagrant attempts to introduce their home land ideology on us...i.e. Sharia law, kirpan usage, blatant jihadism, etc.

Mike, I recall some 40+ years ago that I toyed with the idea of moving to Oz. My queries with the Embassy resulted in a no-go situation since Oz was on a major contruction spree and only tradesmen were allowed in. As part of this revelation, I learned that your borders were strictly closed to Third World "undesirables".

So, a question for you...What the hell happened to that policy?
Old 24-04-08, 03:59
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default migrants

Hi Jon,

Touchy topic isn't it . I'm not against migration as a concept . My grandfather was born in British colony known as Victoria , where I now live .This country has evolved from a motely collection of criminals, misfits , the dregs of British society some say . Irish rebels too, transported to the colonies . The British army actually tried to gain control of the NSW colony at one stage , the rum rebellion , they tried to overthrow the governor , the Kings man here . There are bad eggs in every culture , from any historical age or geographic location , it's been going on since we lived in caves , human nature . It's always the mad minority that cause the trouble . Christianity has had its mad zealots too .The present Catholic church is wholly hypoctical in practice .

The current mass migration trend , is crazy . Transplanting large numbers of people from A to B solves nothing in the long run. Tim Flannery , noted scientist , ( Australian of the year last year ), my old school friend , says Australia's population should be about 10 million max. Polititians want it to be 50 million . They are having major problems with water here , lots of debate over Melbourne's water supply , and the population is growing by 60K each year. Bob Birrell from Monash uni , predicted all this 30 years ago . In 1973 I attended a lecture by him , his foresight was ignored . Much land here is salt affected too , they try to farm land that isn't viable . Growing rice and cotten uses large amounts of water , madness . Why grow rice here .

Mike
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 24-04-08, 23:45
Richard Notton

Default Hmmmmm. . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
Hi Jon,

Tim Flannery , noted scientist , ( Australian of the year last year ), my old school friend , says Australia's population should be about 10 million max. Polititians want it to be 50 million .
Hold that thought for a moment. . . . . . . .

Perhaps its fair to say Oz is big. (over 7.5 million km˛)

Perhaps its fair to say the UK is small therefore. (0.242 million km˛ - slightly smaller than Oregon)

From the (UK) Office of National Statistics:

UK population 2006 - 60,587,000
UK immigration 2006 - 591,000 of which 510,000 are non-British.

Like I said Mike, hold that thought.

Sources:
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?ID=6
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=260

R.
Old 25-04-08, 01:54
David Pope

Here's some tidbits about Canada from this site.
http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/englis...ergeneral.html
The total area of Canada is 9 984 670 square kilometres
The Great Lakes - Superior, Michigan, Huron, Erie and Ontario - are the largest group of freshwater lakes in the world. They have a total surface area of 245 000 square kilometres.
That puts the Great Lakes just a little bigger than the UK.
1940 Cab 11 F15A w/ Chev rear ends
1941 Cab 12 F15A
1942-44 Cab 13 F15A x 5
1942 cab 13 F15A with 2B1 box
1943 cab 13 F15A with 2H1 box
1943 Cab 13 C8A HUP
1944 Cab 13 C15A with 2C1 box
1943 Cletrac M2 High Speed Tractor
MkII Bren gun carrier chassis x 2
Old 25-04-08, 03:51
3RD ECHELON WKSP

I read recently that the population of Toronto now consists of > 50% foreigners. That is to say, non-native born Canadians.

Good luck to our Conservative government who wants to try and undo some of the Liberal pro-refugee mess that was created.
Best I can tell, the PC Gov»'t wants to fast track immigrants by picking and choosing who we accept, regardless of their place on the waiting list. If we need to have immigrants, picking people by skill, ability and need sounds a whole lot better than letting in refugee deadbeats by the boatload.

I remember my father saying that in the 1960's, immigration policy was to accept 90% skilled labour and 10% refugees with little or no skill. Now in the year 2008, we let almost anyone in to become a burden to an already overloaded system, all on the backs of Canadian taxpayers. What really burns my a** is when Foreign Affairs acts to protect and bend over backwards to support "citizens" of Canada who perpitrate crimes etc on foreign soil. Hey, wake up, these citizenships were "granted" and as far as I'm concerned should be stripped just as quickly in extreme cases. Anyone heard of the Khadr case??? Glad we're paying to support the rest of his proven Al-qaida
family in Toronto...

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 25-04-08, 10:57
Richard Notton

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletrac View Post
Here's some tidbits about Canada from this site.
http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/englis...ergeneral.html
That puts the Great Lakes just a little bigger than the UK.
Q.E.D.

The defence rests its case.

R.
Old 25-04-08, 11:15
Richard Notton

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris vickery View Post
I read recently that the population of Toronto now consists of > 50% foreigners. That is to say, non-native born Canadians.

sounds a whole lot better than letting in refugee deadbeats by the boatload.
Luxury.

We have a drain pipe discharging in Dover.

Quote:
I remember my father saying that in the 1960's, immigration policy was to accept 90% skilled labour and 10% refugees with little or no skill. Now in the year 2008, we let almost anyone in to become a burden to an already overloaded system,
Ah, he knew of Enoch Powell too then.

"Its like watching a nation busily engaged in heaping up its own funeral pyre" - 21 April 1968

R.
Old 25-04-08, 11:54
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Yes and no

Hi All

Yes I can see Richards point . But land mass versus population size can be a little misleading . I can only comment on what I see here . If you drive out to North Western Victoria .. 6 hours from Melbourne .. you'll see an endless horizon of dry , semi arid land . They grow cereals , wheat . Go further inland and its about 1 sheep per acre .. further inland ,then it's 1 sheep per 5 acres .. the land is sooo barren . We have highly leached soils here .. that means little nutrients in the ground . It's a miracle how they grow anything out there .... but they do , to varying success and a lot of failure also , they are wholly dependant on the unreliable rainfall . Modern machinery and fertilisers pushes things along .

Check out Tims Wiki page :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Flannery
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 25-04-08, 14:50
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Mike and Richard;

Here in Canada we have vast areas, millions of sq kilometers. When the government and the UN start doing studies as to per capita ratios, it too seems as if we are "under populated".

What fails to be seen though, is that most of the newcomers are allowed to settle in overly populated areas such as the large centers, Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.

Much of our large land mass is dense forests, open plain, mountains and arctic tundra in the north. Most of these areas are quite sparely populated as they are without infrastructure. Who wants to live a Canadian winter in the sub-zero north in the middle of the bush??? (other than me)

Like I mentioned earlier, we need to base our immigration policies on a "need" basis. Leave the bleeding hearts at the door. To build this country and make it prosper requires tradespeople, doctors and the like, not a bunch of welfare bums.

I realize that we are a nation of immigrants. Heck, my own family has WASP roots in the British Ilses. The difference between immigrants of old vs today;
My grandfather, like many others, came here with a suitcase and a dollar in the pocket. It was do or die, no social support, no hand outs, no special treatment. Work and prosper, make a home, have a family.
My grandfather was a Bernado Home child, an orphan and was only 10 1/2 years old when he came. He worked on a farm, then as a lumberjack and finally in a tannery before passing at the ripe age of 57. He had a home, raised a family and never asked for anything. All that I can think of is PRIDE.

Today's immigrant; refugee for the most part, huge family waiting to be sponsored only to follow later, unskilled, possibly criminal. Has hand out as soon as they arrive, are protected by the CANADIAN Charter of Rights, are immediately assigned immigration lawyers, know their "rights", expect to be accomodated in whatever ways they feel (religious, cultural, etc)

On another note, after the war, when immigration took off in this country, one had to acquire a certain number of points to be accepted. This was based on country of origin (preferencial treatment to our Commonwealth friends), skills, financial status, schooling etc. Oh yeah, and you required a whole regimen of vaccinations to boot as well as proper documentation when you arrived. No points, no vaccinations, no papers, NO ENTRY.
Of course trying to use this type of system in today's PC world would be totally inappropriate, afterall it would be deemed as being racist or whathaveyou....

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 25-04-08, 15:23
Richard Notton

Quote:
Mike and Richard;

Here in Canada we have vast areas, millions of sq kilometers. When the government and the UN start doing studies as to per capita ratios, it too seems as if we are "under populated".

What fails to be seen though, is that most of the newcomers are allowed to settle in overly populated areas such as the large centers, Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.
Or London, Birmingham and Manchester for us.

Quote:
Today's immigrant; refugee for the most part, huge family waiting to be sponsored only to follow later, unskilled, possibly criminal. Has hand out as soon as they arrive, are protected by the CANADIAN Charter of Rights, are immediately assigned immigration lawyers, know their "rights", expect to be accomodated in whatever ways they feel (religious, cultural, etc)
Now, you Canadian colonials really must invent your own way of wrecking the country, do stop copying what we do, its not big and its not clever. . . . . . . . . .

R.
Old 28-05-08, 14:33
Terry Warner

Default immigration

The City of Toronto has a very different population dynamic than the rest of the country (http://www.toronto.ca/demographics/pdf/profile02.pdf). It is little wonder the mayor has a different political agenda than, for example, the mayor of Estevan, Saskatchewan. Don't write off Canada just because one city makes the rest of the country look loopy.

(For the record, my family have been on the continent for about 350 yrs on my father's side and half of my mother's side.)

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 28-05-08, 17:14
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

The west isn't far behind.

"Nearly three-quarters (74.7%) of recent immigrants in Vancouver CMA lived in just four municipalities: the cities of Vancouver, Richmond, Burnaby and Surrey.

In the City of Richmond, foreign-born persons outnumbered their Canadian-born counterparts in 2006. Of the 173,600 residents in the city, more than one-half (57.4%) were born outside of Canada. In fact, Richmond had the highest proportion of foreign-born persons of all municipalities in Canada.

Between 2001 and 2006, the foreign-born population in Richmond grew by 12.9%, whereas the Canadian-born population decreased by 2.3%.

About 1 in 10 (10.8%) of Richmond's population were newcomers who had arrived in Canada within the last five years. Among these 18,800 recent immigrants, fully one-half were born in the People's Republic of China.

In fact, immigrants from the People's Republic of China, whether they had lived in Canada for some time or had arrived recently, made up the largest group of the foreign-born population in the city."

I know this country needs immigrants but I think the concept of multiculturalism never happened. Most of the new immigrants keep to their own communities and we have little cultural mini-states forming. They keep practicing their old world ways in the new world. Even the "New Chinese" don't mix with the "Old Chinese" that have been here for 100 years.
Old 28-05-08, 20:24
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Wink Get me started/...

Quote:

Good luck to our Conservative government who wants to try and undo some of the Liberal pro-refugee mess that was created.
Best I can tell, the PC Gov»'t wants to fast track immigrants by picking and choosing who we accept, regardless of their place on the waiting list. If we need to have immigrants, picking people by skill, ability and need sounds a whole lot better than letting in refugee deadbeats by the boatload.

I remember my father saying that in the 1960's, immigration policy was to accept 90% skilled labour and 10% refugees with little or no skill. Now in the year 2008, we let almost anyone in to become a burden to an already overloaded system, all on the backs of Canadian taxpayers. What really burns my a** is when Foreign Affairs acts to protect and bend over backwards to support "citizens" of Canada who perpitrate crimes etc on foreign soil. Hey, wake up, these citizenships were "granted" and as far as I'm concerned should be stripped just as quickly in extreme cases. Anyone heard of the Khadr case??? Glad we're paying to support the rest of his proven Al-qaida
family in Toronto...

Chris..
and in Canada ,where the chances of growing old are very good,the birth rate is now bringing on second generation children that still consider them selves to be (Fill in the Blank) citizens,not Canadian,but where ever they crawled in from...and they breed like flies.....and survive....
Not like back in (Fill in The Blank) where the Four Horsemen are doing their job...

Old 29-05-08, 06:36
M38A1 CDN3

Have any of you guys read Mark Steyn's "America Alone"?

In a nutshell, Steyn makes the point that immigrants of the Islamic bent procreate at a rate of about 5.5 live births per fertile female.

Canada's rate is about 2.1.

Do the math. Who's going to be overwhelmed?
Old 30-05-08, 00:35
Richard Notton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Skagfeld View Post
Have any of you guys read Mark Steyn's "America Alone"?

In a nutshell, Steyn makes the point that immigrants of the Islamic bent procreate at a rate of about 5.5 live births per fertile female.

Canada's rate is about 2.1.

Do the math. Who's going to be overwhelmed?
Quite so, I attempted to be a little more diplomatic a ways back in this thread for fear of overstepping the official mark here which seems to be at a very low level when applied to what you might reasonably imagine to be a natural Briton, I said:
"plus even more hidden is the 5:1 apparent breeding ratio increase of many classes of immigrants here."

"Do the math. Who's going to be overwhelmed?" Jon rightly said, and personally I can and am more than somewhat apprehensive to tell the truth; perhaps bear in mind that on this island you cannot ever be more than 70 miles from the sea. Leaving out the odd inland lake, how is it in Canada I wonder?

R.