MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 20-01-06, 02:49
Derek Heuring

Default Round Five of "Name that Vehicle!"

Good evening honoured guests, ladies and gentlemen, contestants, and viewers throughout the BBC 2 broadcast area. Welcome to the fifth installment of "Name that Vehicle!"

Round four was won by Lars Ulvestad of Lillehammer, Norway. Lars, a salesman for a Lutefisk exporting company divides his time between Minnesota where he enjoys ice fishing with his cousin; Torbjorn, and Lillehammer, where he enjoys Nordic skiing. Lars, an accomplished ski jumper, was disqualified from the Norwegian Olympic ski team after downing a bottle of Aquavit and then mooning the judges at an Olympic try out. Lars was quoted as saying: "It was a wardrobe malfunction! Honest!"
Lars correctly guessed Mercedes-Benz LG 65/4 to win round four.

At this time we wish to announce a rule change; in the event of a tie, the contestant who didn't use Vanderveen's bloody great book of know-it-all directory of stupid vehicles shall be declared the winner. Thank you!

Everyone ready! Hands on buzzers? No no no, your BUZZER
Richard! It's time to play:

"NAME THAT VEHICLE!"
Attached Thumbnails
idf f.a.a.d.s..jpg  
Old 20-01-06, 05:03
BIG MIKE

AHH DEREK you owe Brad a Case of Keiuth Beer , for me and Him to share , I hope it's still fresh until Sept Brad LOL Jolly GOOD Show Brad!!

BIG MIKE
Old 20-01-06, 05:54
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Mills
At last an easy one...

Based on the M113, its the M730A2 Guided Missile Equipment Carrier aka Chaparral...

"WINNER!"

Well done Brad! Yes indeed, this is an Israeli Defence Force M730A2 carrying a Chaparral Surface-to-air missile launcher. I'll bet Mr. Vanderveen didn't have this in his book! You have successfully identified this vehicle without any clues thereby winning a six pack of mouth watering "Lone Star" beer, the National Beer of Texas!
To collect your prize, jump aboard the H.M.C.S. Sackville, fire up the boilers and sail through the Gulf of Mexico to Corpus Christi. Bring along a jar of pickled Cod's cheeks and tongues, I'll meet you with the beer and we'll have a party on the beach.

Once again, congratulations to tonight's lucky winner and stay tuned for the next episode of:

"NAME THAT VEHICLE!"
Old 20-01-06, 05:57
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by BIG MIKE
AHH DEREK you owe Brad a Case of Keiuth Beer , for me and Him to share , I hope it's still fresh until Sept Brad LOL Jolly GOOD Show Brad!!

BIG MIKE

Hey Mike, if you're near the ocean, maybe Brad can pick you up on his way to Corpus Christi!
Old 20-01-06, 11:25
BIG MIKE

Brad i'll be 20' out in the water wareing my wellingtons waiting for the pick up.

BIG MIKE
Old 20-01-06, 17:57
Richard Notton

Default Re: Round Five of "Name that Vehicle!"

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
Richard! It's time to play:

"NAME THAT VEHICLE!"
Look, do remember old chap we are 6 hours ahead of you and at my 01:49, when this missive was timed, I was fast asleep.

R.
Old 20-01-06, 18:56
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Re: Round Five of "Name that Vehicle!"

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623
Look, do remember old chap we are 6 hours ahead of you and at my 01:49, when this missive was timed, I was fast asleep.

R.

But Sir, the sun never sets on the British Empire, as we colonials have found out first hand when providing cannon fodder for some Lord who's only expertise in commanding fighting men is supplying kit for their regiment.

CHIMO!
Old 20-01-06, 23:55

Thumbs down misguided

Quote:
Originally posted by BIG MIKE
Brad i'll be 20' out in the water wareing my wellingtons waiting for the pick up.

BIG MIKE
My dear chap you must know that sheep are not an aquatic breed, Wellingtons will not have the desired effect I fear.

R
I am seriously concerned that these Colonial chaps are getting the wrong end of the stick do elucidate dear chap, we of a certain clearance have to stick together......... what?

Part time Officer and Gentleman
Old 21-01-06, 02:09
BIG MIKE

Thiers room enough in my wellingtons for 4 huff's, and they do swim if you bribe them, i think you been out in the feilds to long Jordie Pete and not hanging down at the seashore Cheerio Chimo my White English Friend.

BIG MIKE
Old 21-01-06, 05:16
Dave Demorrow

sorry sapper but its the US version, AND its a NAT-guard model. ok how can i tell? this is due to the MILES II system mounted on the fireing rail. this unit is maintained by a single company (1 guy that lives near redstone). this system as its hooked up ONLY works at 2 locations in the world the NTC ic calafornia and the CMTC in germany. i dont think its germany. so it should be a pic of one of the last rotations in CA in 1993-5. there are about 300 shaps in the bone yard near white sands that were suposed to be modified and sent overseas, that program didnt turn out. and so now they will probably be scrapped like the vulcans.
42 6LB GUN
and the list keeps growing, and growing.... i need help LOL
Old 21-01-06, 17:36
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by alleramilitaria
sorry sapper but its the US version, AND its a NAT-guard model. ok how can i tell? this is due to the MILES II system mounted on the fireing rail. this unit is maintained by a single company (1 guy that lives near redstone). this system as its hooked up ONLY works at 2 locations in the world the NTC ic calafornia and the CMTC in germany. i dont think its germany. so it should be a pic of one of the last rotations in CA in 1993-5. there are about 300 shaps in the bone yard near white sands that were suposed to be modified and sent overseas, that program didnt turn out. and so now they will probably be scrapped like the vulcans.

Dave, this picture was downloaded from the I.D.F. website and presented as a Israeli M730A2. I don't know why their webmaster would post a pic of an American launcher.
I've scanned the picture for clues...it could be Hell, sorry, I mean California, it could also be the Negev or even the Golan Heights. I've spent a lot of time at all three locations and there is nothing definitively pointing to any of the three. Perhaps if a Hyrax had ran by when the shutter opened we could settle this!
No clues from the kit, the Israelis are famous for borrowing or buying kit from where ever, however, I have seen the Israelis dump their kit on the ground beside their vehicles because that is where they are sleeping that night, on the ground. The Golan heights is littered with half burnt ammo cans. The Israeli soldiers fill them half way with sand and then pour fuel in them to provide make-shift stoves and heaters. Do American soldiers visiting the N.T.C. sleep beside their vehicles? The wire reel...it's not a DR-8-A reel, which I know the U.S. used for a long time. Does the U.S. still use the DR-8-A reel? Perhaps that might point to the I.D.F.
Question: Israel is a tiny country with only two small areas for live fire. How would the I.D.F. test their S.A.M. capabilities except for Miles gear or even visiting the N.T.C.?
Unless you come up with more definitive proof, I will maintain my position that this is an Israeli vehicle.

CHIMO!

P.S. I'm going to pm you re; Belton.

Last edited by sapper740; 21-01-06 at 17:46.
Old 21-01-06, 21:42
Richard Notton

Default Re: misguided

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete Ashby
My dear chap you must know that sheep are not an aquatic breed, Wellingtons will not have the desired effect I fear.

R
I am seriously concerned that these Colonial chaps are getting the wrong end of the stick do elucidate dear chap, we of a certain clearance have to stick together......... what?

Part time Officer and Gentleman
Absolutely old chap.

Now, I know that things are reputedly bigger in the ex-colonies and expecially in Texas; in fact according to the size description of that state by its inhabitants it can be deduced that the rest of the states must be very near neighbours indeed; however, the mention of 20' welly-gogs does indeed bring tears to my eyes.

Must be terribly tight around the chalfonts don't you think?

R.
Old 21-01-06, 23:00
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: Round Five of "Name that Vehicle!"

Quote:
But Sir, the sun never sets on the British Empire, as we colonials have found out first hand when providing cannon fodder for some Lord who's only expertise in commanding fighting men is supplying kit for their regiment.
Quite so, quite so; however, whilst you are quite correct about the non-setting sun, do remember this refers to the Empire which is spread world-wide and this together with the earth's rotational time of 86,400.002 secs**/rev ensures the non-setting of the sun on the British Empire.

Here in Albion it does most surely set and the gentlefolk take to bed accordingly.

**I'm defining seconds as the SI unit being the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the cesium 133 atom, where the ground state is defined at zero magnetic field.

R.
Old 21-01-06, 23:23

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Round Five of "Name that Vehicle!"

Quote:

**I'm defining seconds as the SI unit being the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the cesium 133 atom, where the ground state is defined at zero magnetic field.

R.
I love it when you talk dirty

P T O a G
Old 21-01-06, 23:56
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Round Five of "Name that Vehicle!"

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by FV623

R. [/B]

And what temperature? Mustn't forget the effect temperature has on the period of oscillation of the outer valence electrons and the corresponding measurement thereof.

CHIMO!
Old 22-01-06, 00:18
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Round Five of "Name that Vehicle!"

Quote:
And what temperature? Mustn't forget the effect temperature has on the period of oscillation of the outer valence electrons and the corresponding measurement thereof.
Which method?

Either conventional cesium beam clocks where the temperature is a function of the gassification of liquid cesium or the newer fountain clocks where the cesium is cooled and controlled by lasers to 2µK.

Oh, BTW, Mr. Vanderveen's book is not huge, but a handy pocket size of a little under A5.

Now, what about the tank and the armoured car?

R.
Old 22-01-06, 01:48
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Round Five of "Name that Vehicle!"

Quote:
Which method?

Now, what about the tank and the armoured car?

R.

Please see earlier response to this thread. I think I've nailed the armoured car, but the tank still has me stumped.

CHIMO!
Old 22-01-06, 03:18
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Re: misguided

Quote:
Absolutely old chap.

Now, I know that things are reputedly bigger in the ex-colonies and expecially in Texas; in fact according to the size description of that state by its inhabitants it can be deduced that the rest of the states must be very near neighbours indeed; however, the mention of 20' welly-gogs does indeed bring tears to my eyes.

Must be terribly tight around the chalfonts don't you think?

R.

Just don't get wellied while you're wearing 20' welly-gogs, might hurt yourself! I don't know about Big Mike but after years of a painful bahookie I visited the Proctologist and he cleared up my chalfonts years ago!

CHIMO!
Old 22-01-06, 03:28
Dave Demorrow

sapper, i was just trying to help, that MILES system is the newer MILES II system used only at the NTC or CMTC due to the link needed to the "star wars" controling center. thats loooooots of $$$$$. i had to spend 30 days in hell about 10 years ago learning how to install that system. at about $150,000 a set we are about the only country that could purchas and use the setup. in fact we only had around 12 sets made by the private contractor iat redstone in alabama. since then that system was modified and now is being used on the M-6 linebacker untill that system is phased out at the end of this year. this system is special due to the fact that it not only sends and recives direct kills, but due to the , GPS, MLB under the VKI (box under the light) it also can be killed by minefields, gas, nuc, radiation, and indirect artillery systems. and it has the added system of being cheat proof unlike the miles I system. this way if you use a green key or shaved yellow key it will let the OC know and will send a computer generated report to the NTC OIC requesting that the vehicle commander be releved, the vehicle taken out of play for cheating for 24hrs, and a art 15 invistigation to be started. not a system you want to mess with.
thanks
and yes it is a chap.
thanks
dave
42 6LB GUN
Old 22-01-06, 05:17
Derek Heuring

Quote:
sapper, i was just trying to help, that MILES system is the newer MILES II system used only at the NTC or CMTC due to the link needed to the "star wars" controling center. thats loooooots of $$$$$. dave

Dave, thank you for your keen interest in this subject, however, I think we're picking fly shit out of pepper. The I.D.F has maintained the MIM-72 ( their nomemclature for the M730 A2) in their arsenal since 1995 and currently have 48 in total. They plan to keep this system until at least 2010. I hear what you say about the MILES II system and that you won't find it anywhere outside of the N.T.C. or Redstone, however, that doesn't preclude this from being a pic of an Israeli vehicle.
Respectfully, I remain your humble servant,

Derek Heuring

CHIMO!
Old 22-01-06, 05:48
In Vino Veritas

Default Stirring the pot

Ya know , the unit seems to be wearing US camo and the terrain looks more soutwestern than middle east . Though I will admit fully that the camo pattern may not be changed and the 2 terrains are similar. Can anyone definitively identify the ground cover...and "brush" will not suffice. Are the packs on the ground familiar to any US fellows.
As for a website quote and pics, they are as good as the guy writing them. I haven't seen the website but perhaps he wanted a picture to demonstrate the type used that was close enough for the casual viewer. I recently read a book on WWII from a "historian" who mislabelled a MKIV panzer as a Tiger and an M10 as a Sherman , in photos in the book.
Just an observation. Dave does make some interesting obs.
Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 22-01-06, 07:37
Dave Demorrow

you are right sapper, i am just nit picking

if you are talking about the CMP, harmen whatever, or the sherman i am a compleate air head about these vehicles.

but i have 21 years / 4 wars in SHORAD (short range ADA) and am qualified as a instructor for the Vulcan, Redeye, Stinger, M3 and M6, and the Chap.

but i have 14 rotations to that pice of shit hole and have served on all sides of the rotation as player, OPFOR, and OC. the strange cammo of the vehicle is due to the fact that it is a NTC draw vehicle. in real life the only time you will see that type of cammo is on desert vehicles stationed at the NTC, ft bliss, and hatchuca. also you can tell by the way it is NOT painted with CARC paint placing it before about 93. this means that the units would draw the vehicle there rather than bring there own. this cuts the cost down due to the fact that a single tracked vehicle moved from ft hood tx by rail is still over $6.000.00 ea. the righting on the door should be the DYNA corp ID number (Dyna corp is the prime civ contractor for the NTC).

thanks
dave
42 6LB GUN
Old 22-01-06, 14:57
Derek Heuring

Quote:
you are right sapper, i am just nit picking

if you are talking about the CMP, harmen whatever, or the sherman i am a compleate air head about these vehicles.

but i have 21 years / 4 wars in SHORAD (short range ADA) and am qualified as a instructor for the Vulcan, Redeye, Stinger, M3 and M6, and the Chap.

but i have 14 rotations to that pice of shit hole and have served on all sides of the rotation as player, OPFOR, and OC. the strange cammo of the vehicle is due to the fact that it is a NTC draw vehicle. in real life the only time you will see that type of cammo is on desert vehicles stationed at the NTC, ft bliss, and hatchuca. also you can tell by the way it is NOT painted with CARC paint placing it before about 93. this means that the units would draw the vehicle there rather than bring there own. this cuts the cost down due to the fact that a single tracked vehicle moved from ft hood tx by rail is still over $6.000.00 ea. the righting on the door should be the DYNA corp ID number (Dyna corp is the prime civ contractor for the NTC).

thanks
dave

Dave, I relent. Anybody who spent that much time at the N.T.C. must know what he's talking about...or else we're all in trouble! By the by, I hear the I.D.F. is looking for technicians to maintain their F.A.A.D.S. Know any Hebrew? If not here's two very important words for you to learn: Lo, Toda!

DAVE> :dh: <CHAPARRAL

CHIMO!
Old 22-01-06, 15:00
BIG MIKE

ok smartass's Tell me why when you have 100 men in 5 ranks or co'y front each rank firing one after another tell me what this represnts, and tell how would they use a 3 pounder in the fray.

BIG MIKE
Old 23-01-06, 05:33
Dave Demorrow

yes the IDF is looking for tecs, so is saudi, jordan, south korea and tiwan. i am happy here in texas right now. and altho they offer good money there are down sides. one is being locked up every night and the other is being a target every day. and if your working for dyna corp , brown and root or halaburton you cant carry a weapon, not even in iraq!!!! i have turned down 2 jobs so far , no thanks
42 6LB GUN
Old 24-01-06, 01:20
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default Oozlefinch

Hi Dave:

I didn't know you wuz an Oozlefinch! Us Gunners gotta watch them uppity Sappers!

Are you going to add a Chap to your collection?

Cheers! Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 24-01-06, 01:23
Dave Demorrow

the wife sain "NO" , for now.
42 6LB GUN
Old 24-01-06, 01:44
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default Chapperel Carrier

Hi Dave:

Throw some WWII Canadian markings on it and convince her its just another carrier... been there all along; she just never noticed it before!

Bye the way... get Rob Clarke to tell you about his adventures in Oozlefinch land and the Halopenjo Pizza! Ahhh, fond memories of Fort Bliss!

Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 24-01-06, 15:50
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Oozlefinch

Quote:
Originally posted by Gunner
Hi Dave:

I didn't know you wuz an Oozlefinch! Us Gunners gotta watch them uppity Sappers!

Are you going to add a Chap to your collection?

Cheers! Mike

Oozlefinch? I thought Dave was a scopedope! I apologize if sometimes we Sappers get a little uppity, probably due to Natural Selection and all that! LOL!!

P.S. I'd like to see what Dave has in his back yard, probably a few items gleaned from Uncle Sam's inventory, eh Dave?

CHIMO!
Old 24-01-06, 22:04
Dave Demorrow

sapper, dont EVEN kid about stuff like that. im way too close to ft hood and i know CID would love it if i did. NO i stick to UK and CA armor for the most part. and if you ever want to come down to play around you are more than welcome.

by the way you have a mission. we need 6 or 7 brit reeinactors for mullins open house to fill my bren carrier, ya think you could help? and if you want to set up a living history area for the show that would be great!!!. if you wanted i could donate a ABN jeep for you to use as a static display. (you need to move it 10 miles).
give me a call
254-535-5490
42 6LB GUN