MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 01-05-05, 18:52

Default Axle seals...... part numbers....

I have been tearing down both my cab 11 axles and so far all seals are worn and will need replacement.

I had the able assistance of neurosurgeon Bob Clarke to help when I needed the proverbial 3rd hand........ and moral support.
we are both learning as we go.....

Only one seal as a stamped part number.... the large 7 inch seal in the front axle...#35070.... which of course does not m atch any of the MLU parts listings.

In a moment of maddeness I checked the Chicago Rawhide web site and ran the MLU CRXXXXX numbers and none seem to match up to their inventory......

So pray tell..... those of you who have purchased seals in the recent past...... were the MLU numbers accurate????

Sure is a greasy mess in there.... but the good news... are the gears are in very good shape.

Bob C.
Canada
Old 06-05-05, 00:38

Default Bearings and seals

Bob- I've been using Motion Industries https://www.motionmro.com/motion3/jsp/mi/index.jsp they have branches/dealers in Canada and the US though I just set up an account with them and the UPS the seals directly to me. Some fo the seals I crossed over from the Victor numbers stamped on the seals some crossed over some didn't in either case I check the dimensions before ordering. They also carry speed-sleeves, which I am going to use sleeves on some of the worn bearing surfaces like input and out put shafts on the transfer case. Even going to try a sleeve on the rear main seal area of the crankshaft. They have speed-sleeves that I think could be used to repair worn front axle hubs.

I'll put together a list of new numbers and locations used and send it. Can’t find my order sheet at the moment.

Cheers
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 06-05-05, 04:35

Default Thanks Phil.....

I appreciate your help on this.

All except one large front wheel seal have abolutely no markings or numbers on them...... would that make them original from the factory in 1940?????

I am not the greatest with micrometers....... rather intimidated with all the specs required by Chicago rawhide web site. I punched in the MLU part numbers... all with CR prefix... and got a nil answer. I do know some MLU members have ordered them in the recent years.

Speaking of ready sleeves.... have you found sufficient waer on any of the axles to require such a fix or are you just looking at the crankcase situation. I have not looked in the MB manual but are the dimensions for axles specified in such details that I could compare to my actual size on my axles. I really did not find any visible wear or typical gouging found on other vehicles..... all surfaces are very smooth and at elast worn very evenly.

Have you removed the inner front seal of the front axle...??? mine had significant wear on the leather of half the seal.... they where held in place with a punch mark on all four corners.... a bitch to remove.... I used an axle bearing puller used for Dodge power wagons...... glad I did..... found all kind of semi solid crude behind it inside the axle tubes..... I will pressure wash my axle tubes before re-assembly.

Hang in there.

Bob C.
Canada
Old 07-05-05, 00:54

Default Axle Seals

I will pull out all the old seals (saved them) and check numbers that I have for the HUP, C60 Pattern 13, and the Pattern 12 C60, the front seals on the Pattern 12 are the same Victor 35070 you mentioned, and I believe these are original seals. Also, got to fire up one of my old computers to open the parts file from rebuilding Beauty and Beast.

As to the inner axle seals that are staked into the axle housing. These always get beat-up when you install the axle shaft. The only time these really are doing anything is when the truck is severely tilted toward the side. I've never had any trouble with axle grease getting into the brakes or wheel hubs. Only exception is in the rear if the drain holes on backing plate are plugged.

As to thickness of gaskets I try and save or make a note of the thickness of the original gaskets. The thickness of the gaskets needs to be taken into consideration when setting up bearings. This is one of the reasons that I like my system of printing the gaskets from the computer, then I just go ahead and print two so that if I damage a gasket assembling and disassembling while fitting shims in the bearings I’ve got another already.

Cheers
`45 HUP
Old 07-05-05, 03:30

Default 35070......

Hi Phil

So that number on the front seal of 35070 is a Victor part number.... as I recall no manufactoring name appeared on the seal. So that's a start.

Really appreciate your help on the parts number.

Strange thing you mentioned the drain hole on the rear axle. On my cab 11 one side the brakes were coated with oil, grease, brake fluid and probably some old snott. Anyways the greasy side was far easier to disassemble than the other side which was bone dry and rusted. The cone sheet metal...will attach a picture... was rusted at the bottom because the drain hole was plugged. Rather strange design that rear axle inner seal. Anyways Rob Clarke here has a few spare ones which I will substitute. The brake plate will all be sandblasted and coated with POR 15 before being painted. Will keep the plates black on the inside and OD on the outside. So far all the cams are working fine. On the dry side I had to use quite a bit of heat to free up the star wheel on the emergency brake lever. All will be coated with never seize grease when reassembled.

I will have to look up the gasket place recommended by Alex Blair.

I am now working on designing.... heck fixing a special adapter for an engine stand that will take the transfer case and allow me double axis for turning the heavy T-case around any which way.
Needless to say I will need seals for the T-case as well.

Remember that my C15 had a two speed transfer case installed along with the winch.... and am trying to keep that modification.
The emergency brake drum on the cab 11 has a broken piece on the rim but I do have a spare from a C60 which I will substitute.

Have you actually taken your T-case apart or just drained the fluids and changed seals...?? I intend to at least do a quick sand blast of the outside before I take anything apart..... makes easier to work on and paint.

Hang in there.... don't get hurt.... greasy is OK.

Have you decided anything about the spare axles in Vineland???

If you need a hand/look see let me know.... maybe worth while stripping on site for major components rather than hauling the whole thing.

Bob C.
Attached Thumbnails
im002560mlu1.jpg  
Canada
Old 07-05-05, 03:31

Default Can never do more than 1 pic....

...picture of the drain hole pon the rear axle that should be kept clean and open.....
Attached Thumbnails
im002561mlu1.jpg  
Canada
Old 07-05-05, 14:45

Default Transfere Case Seals no problem

I'll put together and post list of the transfer case axle seals. I think I have them all now. I have been hesitant to post the list until I actually got the seals installed did want to mislead anybody.

Getting the transfer case mounted up on a stand so it can be rotated makes setting them up so much easier.

New axle is due sometime next week will post picture and price.

Cheers and back out to the shop.
`45 HUP
Old 10-05-05, 03:54

Default Thanks Phil....

You are an inspiration.....

On the tranfer case stand... I have an extra engine stand swivel head which I will incorporate in the fixture.... will post a picture after this forecasted rainy weekend...(again).... it should give me 360 degree twice..... hoping to have the able assistance of a third hand and second opinion of Rob Clarke...... it gives me greater insight and he gets to practice his welding skills......

What are friends for.......

I am about to take the bug U - joint of the front axle apart......
any thing to watch for...??? on the dodge power wagon I usually have to carefully track the many brass shims......

Where will I check for excessive wear?????

I hope we get a few dry days so I can sandlast some parts outside the barn.

Cheers.

Bob C.
Canada
Old 11-05-05, 11:15
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Re: Axle seals...... part numbers....

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Carriere
I have been tearing down both my cab 11 axles and so far all seals are worn and will need replacement.

Only one seal as a stamped part number.... the large 7 inch seal in the front axle...#35070.... which of course does not m atch any of the MLU parts listings.

In a moment of maddeness I checked the Chicago Rawhide web site and ran the MLU CRXXXXX numbers and none seem to match up to their inventory......
Had a root around in the parts boxes and the two front swivel seals I found had different numbers. One had original style leather seal surface with no number, but just the word "Outside", presumably on the outer sufrace. Other had newer style neoprene seal and part number 35075. Could this be an updated listing for 35070?
Attached Thumbnails
100_0399.jpg  
Old 11-05-05, 11:26
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Re: 35070......

Quote:
The cone sheet metal...will attach a picture... was rusted at the bottom because the drain hole was plugged. Rather strange design that rear axle inner seal.
Bob C.
I have a couple of these in tropic wrap/cosmoline with leather seal but there is no part number on them. I understand they were a standard part on heavier Ford Trucks well into the '80s.
Attached Thumbnails
100_0398.jpg  
Old 13-05-05, 05:08

Default Thanks....

Thanks Tony.

Any particular trick to removing the front large seal without bending it to a pretzel????

I used an axle bushing remover on the small staked seals and bent them somewhat but can still take some measurements from them. I just hate wrecking parts for nothing.

Good picture of that rear seal...... mine look like the original leather ones....... so if Ford used them up to 20 years ago they should be readily available..... BUT... not from a Ford costly dealer.

Bob C.
Canada
Old 13-05-05, 05:55
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Re: Thanks....

Quote:
Thanks Tony.

Good picture of that rear seal...... mine look like the original leather ones....... so if Ford used them up to 20 years ago they should be readily available..... BUT... not from a Ford costly dealer.

Bob C.
Just one source from many, http://www.macsautoparts.com/v8.html has them listed as BB-1175-C for US$9.50.
Old 14-05-05, 03:55

Default Him-pressive.

Always amazed when someone from around the world points out something in your backyard.

Good find.... price now$13. something..... will not tell the wife but next time we are visiting her Mother in the Niagara area, I will sneak cross the border and visit that grown up candy store place......better start saving some money....hihihi.

Thanks Tony

Bob C.
Canada