MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 06-12-06, 13:12
former Resident Historian

Default 1938 Ford M-H Pick-up

I am currently writing a magazine article on the 1938 WD Trials. In 1938 and then 1939, Dagenham Motors Ltd supplied a M-H converted 8-cwt Pick-up. The photo that I have looks to be a Model 81C, but was there a British Ford equivalent at the time, i.e. a E81C? I cannot find anything so far.
Old 07-12-06, 02:06
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Ford

hi David ,

I recall seeing your pics of it somewhere . What a neat little truck . 4X4 and the nice Ford styling of the bodywork . Was it LHD ? One or two of these survive in the U.S. from memory .

I wonder was the trials example imported into the U.K. already converted ? I believe they ( M-H in U.S.A. ) converted some 1940 sedans too , South Amercian countries got some ? Argentina maybe .

Mike
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 07-12-06, 02:44
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Tyres

The tyres look like 9.00 X 13 's . Rather weird . Did Dagenham put these wheels on ?

Mike
Attached Images

1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 07-12-06, 09:03
former Resident Historian

Default DM

The Record Cards show that this and what was I beliebe a E88W 3-tonner semi FC chassis, were sold by DAGENHAM MOTORS LTD in March 1939 into WD Stock. They both had M-H front conversions. The following year there ws also a 7W I think with County rear bogie, and M-H front conversion to create a 6 x 4.

The WD chart shows that the E83W was also the Model 61, but what was the British 81C model number?

It seems that DM were the M-H agents here, but Universal Power Drives Ltd of Perivale supplied Thornton rear drive conversions as well as possibly being M-H importers. This is an extract from VINTAGE ROADSCENE, Part IV of the article relating to the 1936 Trials:

Quote:

Marmon-Herrington four-wheeled four-wheel drive lorry for three-ton military load

The WD trialled a M-H chassis believed to have been for the first time in 1936. The Trials vehicle was sourced from the US by Universal Power Drives and was tested to ascertain its suitability for impressment in substitution for the three-ton six-wheeled lorry class. A reduction gear and transfer case (possibly a Thornton-Detroit item)were incorporated behind the four-speed Ford main gearbox and at that time the components could it was said only be obtained from the US: the Marmon-Herrington Company Inc of Indianapolis, Indiana. In the Trials lorry the 30hp Ford V-8 developed 81.2 bhp and maximum torque of 1662 lb ins. The drive was through an auxiliary gearbox and bevel-driven axles. The tyres were 7.00-20 twin rear standard tread. Fuel consumption averaged 9.1 mpg on roads. Trials were carried out at Farnborough in June 1936 with a loaned vehicle with loads of 3 tons and 30 cwts. The hill-climbing performance and petrol consumption with a 30-cwt load was equal to that of the four- and six-wheeled 30-cwt lorries previously tested by the WD. With a three-ton load the speed, hill-climbing performance and petrol consumption were a little superior to the standard WD three-ton six-wheeled vehicles. The cooling however did not comply with the WD requirements, and ground clearance insufficient. Improved performance would be obtained with larger tyres but this would necessitate a modification to the brake drums. The M-H was noted as suitable for impressments as a substitute for the three-ton six-wheeler lorry if available in sufficient quantities and when conversion components became available in this country.
There will be a photo of the (what I believe was lhd, and thus US) 81C 4x4 in VINTAGE ROADSCENE issue 94, out in two months' time.