MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 03-05-06, 20:26

Question Trucks & Cars in Hungarian Service to be Identified

Can someone identify these trucks and cars, seen in service with the Hungarian Army? Photos from my collection.

#1:

#2:

#3:

#4:
I am curious about the old one, seen in the background:

#5:
And, finally, a car, enlisted in Army service:

Thanks, in advance.

Dénes

Last edited by Dénes; 03-05-06 at 20:33.
Old 03-05-06, 23:47
Dog Robber

Hallo Denes:

1 & 2 I want very badly to ID as Austro-Fiat vehicles but I cannot come up with proof just yet.

3 I believe from left to right are a Mercedes 170 VK, two Fords, three Krupps and I do not know the last large truck just yet.

4 is I believe either an Italian Fiat, an Austro-Fiat or a Simca, which were all from the same design, just produced in different countries

5 is a Mercedes cabriolet and I am not yet sure of the model.
Bill
Old 04-05-06, 00:05

Default Id

Denes

The first two photos shows a Rŕba AFe acording to Bart Vanderveen’s Historic Military Vehicles Directory. Actually the second photo is the same as in his book. The first one has a camo sheeme that I would think suggest very early in the war.
The third photo shows from left a MB 170VK (I think), two unknown for me (perhaps some Italian??), then three Krüpp L2H43. They are L2H143 if the front fender is of the wide type, but can’t se on your photo which one. They were also produced by Magyar Vagon čs Gčpyar so it my well be Hungarian trucks.. The last one is to fussy on the photo to see for me.
The fourth photo from left looks like an Italian Fiat 508C (and it is right hand driven). The two oldies I have no clues abouth.
The last photo looks to me like a Mercedes but don’t know what type.

Hope this helps a little. I am sure someone else in here will help you a lot better than I did.

Chers
Rolf
Old 04-05-06, 16:20

Default Re: Id

Quote:
Originally posted by cmpnorge
Denes

The first two photos shows a Rŕba AFe acording to Bart Vanderveen’s Historic Military Vehicles Directory.
Thanks, Rolf, for your attempt to identify the photos.

I very much doubt that the first two photos are Hungarian made Rába AFe's.
Anyhow, I just ordered Bart Vanderveen’s mentioned book, hopefully it will help me identify these vehicles (and others).

Dénes
Old 04-05-06, 16:47

Default just

Just keep trying us identify vehicles!! It is a nice "hobby".
And if I can beat Bill to it, the day is saved

And as mentioned the Rŕba AFe photo (second one) is the same as Bart's book. Would be nice if you tell us what they all are when you have them id properly.
On photo # 3 those trucks Bill beleeve is Ford's I think have som unusual front fenders to be Ford. But for sure I thinkBill will sort them out.

Chers

Rolf
Old 04-05-06, 17:29
Dog Robber

Well, my friends:
Rolf and I are enthusiasts of long standing in the "ID this vehicle" club and he well knows how stubborn I am when it comes to digging up answers if I possibly can.

I took a shot on the multi vehicle photo on another thread and had a slightly different answer that time but I don't think it was correct. I believe the first truck after the 170VK is a 1937 or 1936 Ford. I believe the next truck is also a Ford but cannot prove it at this time. I have to do some higher level photo editing to see if I can clear it up. Amongst other things, I have to see if a shadow on the third vehicle is a mirror or a vent window. If a vent window, it most likely is not a Ford.

As to the first two, wherever they were assembled, I am very convinced they are Austro-Fiats. The Fiat cabriolet is most likely originally Italian due to the RHD which I missed the first time.
I suspect when I finish my research the other car and the truck may well be Fiats also.

The Mercedes is most likely a 260 or a 320 and Hans Rinsma can probably sort that one out if I can get permission from you, Denes, to post it on another forum, Wermacht Awards.

I have been extremely busy at my shop so have not had as much time as usual for research but have a free evening today so hope to get better answers to you.
Bill
Old 04-05-06, 22:29

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Murray
Hans Rinsma can probably sort that one out if I can get permission from you, Denes, to post it on another forum, Wermacht Awards.
Certainly, Bill. Please mention the photos' original source and keep us updated.

Thanks,

Dénes
Old 11-05-06, 18:48

Photos #1 & #2 are now positively identified. It's an Ostner "Rex" 1, with a 34 PS Ford engine.
To be honest, I never heard of this type, let alone that it was used by the Hungarian Army...

Dénes

Last edited by Dénes; 11-05-06 at 23:16.
Old 11-05-06, 23:07
Dog Robber

Hi Denes:
Someone has done some amazing detective work.
I finally found a very short history of O.D Werke Willy Ostner of Dresden in Georgeano's Encyclopedia of Commercial Vehicles.

Looking at the time period the photo seems to represent, it mentions a 4 wheel van with a 1.1 litre Ford engine made from 1937-1939. It seems they were out of production until 1949 and were taken over by Faun in 1956. The only photo in the article says it represents a 1939 van but the design seems pretty definitely post war to me and is nothing like your photo.

So, my friend, can you share a little bit about who identified the vehicle and perhaps provide some more information or even photos??? I do still think both photo 1 and 2 are of the same vehicle make.

Sorry, I forgot to mention when I googled Ostner, there was a lot of stuff on motorcycles they also built.

Bill
Old 11-05-06, 23:16

"A picture is worth 1000 words" - they say. True.
Here is a photo of a restored Ostner "Rex" 4:

[Source: www.hanomag-kurier.de]

Could you find, by any chance, the main technical data of this little known truck, so I can compile a vehicle data sheet?

Thanks,

Dénes
Old 11-05-06, 23:39
Dog Robber

Hi Denes:

I could not find that photo on that site but it is definitely the same vehicle. I have and will continue to look for more info.

As a matter of interest, the photo in the book I mentioned looked very much like a postwar Hanomag.

Bill