MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 29-02-24, 18:07

Default Wireless Set No. 19 Mk III Cdn Upgrade

It was in the late 1970’s when I restored my Wireless Set No. 19 Mk III Cdn to full working order, and that work was done at the height of the mail driven research and parts supply systems. I had to work with what I knew and could find. As a result, a handful of parts available were workable originals but not always in the best shape, or mismatched in some way. Assembly mistakes were also made that lay unrecognized until later.

So the last 50 years were spent using and maintaining the performance of the set while slowing tracking down correct upgrades for the parts I needed to update.

For example, the WS No. 19 Seating Plates No. 4 that I originally found had its upper aerial bracket cut off, likely to make fitting the lower F-Rod into the Aerial Clip easier, but thereby introducing a large sway to the aerial that risked it making contact with the metal work on the set. The Connector, 12-Pt No. 1E I had was a late issue rubber cable one, whereas all other cables were early issue wire loomed ones.

The Crystal Calibrator I found in the 70’s was a disassembled one I had to restore and all indications were it was hard mounted on its side to the top of the PSU, once the Seating Plates No. 4 were in place. Subsequently, when I found a Covers, Waterproof No. 5 for my Carriers, I discovered that with the Crystal Calibrator hard mounted to the top of the PSU, the Covers would no longer fit the Carriers at the left end of the set. Learning curves were many back then.

With 50 years to play with, I finally found all the upgrade parts I needed for the 19-Set Mk III and while taking time recently to plan out the restoration work for the Supply Unit on my 52-Set, I decided I should get all of the 19-Set updates completed. I finally finished that work last week, got the set back together and was pleased to find the set popped back onto the ethers nicely when all was done.

The attached photos show the original look of the 19-Set Mk III with mismatched cables and ill fitting Covers and the new result with upgrades in place and a Crystal Calibrator that can be stored in a Signals Satchel until needed when not in use. It was all worth the wait!

David
Attached Thumbnails
Covers, Waterproof No. 5 ZA 10317.JPG   Covers, Waterproof No. 5 ZA 10317 A.JPG   Covers, Waterproof No. 5 ZA 10317 B.JPG  
Old 01-03-24, 04:17

Default Beautiful job Dave,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

......... should be working for the Museum.
Canada