MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 30-07-03, 10:43

Default Enfield rifles.

Hi All
Forgive me if this is an obvious question but weapons are not my strong point. I would be interested to know if Canadian units serving in the UK would have been issued with Canadian made Enfield rifles or British made ones? or perhaps a mixture? I've just bought a deactavated US made (savage arms) No.4 Mk.1.which will go in the rifle holder in my D15.would the US made rifle have been used by the Canadians as it was by the Brits?
Thanks!
Matt.
Old 30-07-03, 15:04
Old Sigs Type

Canada Small Arms Ltd. of Long Branch, Ontario (now part of the city of Toronto) produced just over 900,000 Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk I rifles between 1939 and 1945.

You may find the following comprehensive Canadian website on the Lee-Enfield an interesting read:

http://www.geocities.com/lee_enfield_rifles/
Old 30-07-03, 23:01
RIP

Default items of continuing Canadian supply

Canada had a policy of using Canadian-made goods for Canadian soldiers. In some cases this was impossible (Cdns in North Africa or in the 1st Cdn Para Bn who were in British LoC)
Items included uniforms and small arms as well as other goods. In addition Canada supplied huge quantities of goods to the British Army and other allies.
Canada never accepted US Lend-Lease and actually established its own plan, known as Mutial Aid.
Old 31-07-03, 02:17
M38A1 CDN3

Default Enfields

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank Misztal
Canada Small Arms Ltd. of Long Branch, Ontario (now part of the city of Toronto) produced just over 900,000 Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk I rifles between 1939 and 1945.

You may find the following comprehensive Canadian website on the Lee-Enfield an interesting read:

http://www.geocities.com/lee_enfield_rifles/

Frank, the company was named Canadian Arsenals Limited, located in Lakeview just west of the Etobicoke Creek.

Living in Long Branch as a kid (before Huricane Hazel), I fully remember small arms fire from CAL into Lake Ontario, while they were test firing. No big deal about the sound of single, semi and auto firing, just another business day. Compare that comment to the crazies who have foisted the Firearms Act upon us.
Old 31-07-03, 02:27
Old Sigs Type

Jon, I knew you'd pick it up if I was incorrect. I felt the name didn't sound right and, CAL really rings a bell with me now. They were bought out by DIEMACO, the makers of the C7.

I vaguely remember doing an exercise on their property in the early 60s. Were you there?

And, I don't want to hear about the Firearms Act debacle again. Now I need a drink and don't have any in the house.
Old 31-07-03, 02:56
M38A1 CDN3

Default Enfields part 2 or maybe 3

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank Misztal
Jon, I knew you'd pick it up if I was incorrect. I felt the name didn't sound right and, CAL really rings a bell with me now. They were bought out by DIEMACO, the makers of the C7.

I vaguely remember doing an exercise on their property in the early 60s. Were you there?

And, I don't want to hear about the Firearms Act debacle again. Now I need a drink and don't have any in the house.
I'm not sure about the relationship with CAL and Diemaco in Kitchener.

Any exercises on the property were definitely attended by myself, I only lived 2 streets over to the east from the Creek.

As a member of 2 Sig Regt, I participated in the opening of the sub-unit, 2 Sig Sqn, located in the Admin Building on the property facing the Lakeshore. Several FTXs were held in the area, using CPRC 26 sets.

At the time, the Long Branch ranges were still open and operating. Was privileged to have blown a few rounds off with Larry Fish, then of the QYR, he being a Lorne Scot recipient of the Queen's Medal at Bisley.

Too bad about no refreshments in the house...excuse me while I grab another Blue.

See you Tuesday.
Old 31-07-03, 03:00
RIP

Default Name correction

Frank was closest with the name. No. 4 Enfield Rifles were made at Small Arms Ltd, of Long Branch, Ontario. On 1 Jan 1946 SAL, along with Research Enterprises Limited, Sorel Industries and other WWII Crown-owned manufacturers were lumped together as Canadian Arsenals Ltd. with HQ at Long Branch but with branch offices at various locations. Also included in the transfer was the tooling and parts for the Bren and HP pistol which had been manufactured during WWII by the John Inglis Co. Ltd., of Toronto - but this was only right as the tooling had been paid for by the government.
By 1976 most of the units had been closed or sold off. The core CAL unit was the manufacturer of the venerable FN rifle. In July 1976 the doors closed and Canada found itself without a government arsenal.
It was to be several years before Diemaco (now a subsidiary of Heroux-Devtek Aerospace of Montreal) was chosen as the manufacturer of the C7 family of small arms. It must be recognised that the rifle is a licenced copy of the US M-16 rifle and that the licence holder is the Government of Canada - Diemaco is merely the instrument which manufactures the rifles. As such, some of the tooling from CAL (previously owned by SAL and before that by the Ross Rifle Co., of Quebec) was made available.
Canada's war-time manufacturing history is a fascinating but often overlooked aspect of our military history.
Old 31-07-03, 03:55
Old Sigs Type

Default Re: Name correction

Quote:
Originally posted by servicepub
... Canada's war-time manufacturing history is a fascinating but often overlooked aspect of our military history.
Agreed. But, it can also be somewhat confusing when trying to decypher "who was who in the zoo" at the time and where they ended up.