MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 14-11-08, 19:36

Default Chevys of the Indian Long Range Patrol

I would like to start the discussion about this hardly known "Special Unit". They are mentioned in line with the LRDG and were probably similar to LRDG patrols - but not much is known about them at all.

Don't expect that anybody would come up now with their history - but would like to ask about the Chevs in below pictures; are they WA 30cwt? They look somehow small....

1139_02_35_905.jpg 1139_02_40_456.jpg 1139_02_45_128.jpg
Old 10-12-08, 10:57

I could only find out a vague statement telling that they were equipped similar as the LRDG patrols. Any information regarding the trucks in the pics above?
Old 10-12-08, 18:05
former Resident Historian

Default Wa

They look as though they have the 1940 deeper top grille bit, so are 1940 Models, WA I think rather than 1939 Models. I don't believe that these were supplied by General Motors India Ltd in Bombay, and shipped but rather those assembled to WD order in GM Near East, Alexandria. If they were Indian Army then I believe that they were paid for by the WD through the Treasury in London: AIF and NZEF, plus the SADF were allocated vehicles and were then paid for by the respective Dominion Governments.

L 39000 to 39515 Contract V 3352 LORRY 30 CWT. 4 X 2 GS / WATER TANKERS: 266 UNITS GS AND 84 WATER 133-INCH WHEELBASE

Last edited by David_Hayward (RIP); 11-12-08 at 10:41.
Old 10-12-08, 23:31

...the manufacturing / assembling of allied trucks will always remain one of the big misteries of WW2 to me ;-)
Old 11-12-08, 01:12

David,

I am very interested in who's up who and who pays the rent during the 20's,30's and particularly WW2. It seems very convoluted with all sorts of purchase, lease, trade and loan schemes in operation.

From what I understand India had a stand-alone budget fully sourced from within India despite being a British possession at the time. Of course right to the moment Mountbatten stepped onto the last boat out of town the British continued milking the country. It would seem that even in the most expensive times, such as fighting the Indian Mutiny, Britain did not have a single year in the red on her best investment by far. I have read many accounts of the Indian treasury paying for equipment and activities during the early 20th century period.

The most notable was when the British were involved in Iraq just after the First World War in circumstances almost identical to the current debacle. Churchill, in one of his numerous political reincarnations, decided the operation was sending UK broke and they could not afford to maintain a huge force in Iraq in an unpopular endless campaign. The simple solution was to withdraw the British troops and order the Indians to replace them (at India's expense). Churchill is recorded as boasting of this sleight of hand as maintaining British presence at someone else's expense!

The point of my comments are, no matter who actually paid the factory for the trucks, I am sure the Indians finished up with the final bill in the same manner as the dominions.

Lang
Old 11-12-08, 02:28
Fan of Lord Nuffield

If you carefully look at the close up.... that's a 13" wheel and they are 900 -13" tyres .

They seem to be on the 113" wheelbase .

The AWM has nice pics of those model Chevs... could be these ?

Mike

indian1.JPG indian3.JPG indian4.JPG
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 31-12-22, 14:57
MLU Administrator

Default Indian Troops In Africa (1941)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuno View Post
I would like to start the discussion about this hardly known "Special Unit". They are mentioned in line with the LRDG and were probably similar to LRDG patrols - but not much is known about them at all.

Don't expect that anybody would come up now with their history - but would like to ask about the Chevs in below pictures; are they WA 30cwt? They look somehow small....
See the footage Kuno took screenshots from here: https://youtu.be/gMYABaY10Eo?t=30

Quote:
Indian Troops In Africa (1941)
British Pathé

Various shots of Indian troops at desert march past. C/U Commander in Chief, Middle East, General Sir Claude Auchinleck making speech. He praises the Indian and Commonwealth troops in action. Various shots of Indian troops in the desert, on trucks and foot. Flashbacks to the part they played in Somaliland. More shots of them ready for action, some good C/U's.
FILM ID:1139.02
And the British Pathé site for the source: https://www.britishpathe.com/video/i...ops-in-africa/