MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 20-05-07, 00:18

Default How Far Did You Drive Your CMP This Week

As we are (in the Northern Hemisphere) moving into prime CMP driving season. I wanted to pose this question:

How Far Did You Drive Your CMP This Week? The winner will get two unusable lug nuts.

My entry for first big trip of the year 200 miles round trip.

Just got back from a 200 mile (left the house at 7:30 home at 5:00) drive thought the rain in my HUP to take part in a club visit to a WWII museum http://wrightmuseum.org/ some stuff of interest to Canadians that I will post later.

PS We had 14 or 16 HMVs running along at 35-40 mph in convoy.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com

Last edited by Phil Waterman; 29-06-07 at 16:07.
Old 20-05-07, 06:56
M38A1 CDN3

Timely question, Phil.

I just went for my first spring time CMP jaunt today.

Didn't rack up near as many miles as you did, but thoroughly enjoyed the ride.

I must be a bit nuts, 'cuz I'm a Driver Wheeled Instructor at a local Military Base and have just completed the road portion for four young soldiers who are getting their qualification. We put on 2000 km in this past week alone, me bouncing about in the passenger seat of a thinly padded LSVW...then I clamber into my C15A and tootle about in another thinly padded seat.

Ain't it grand?
Old 20-05-07, 17:29

Default Sounds like fun

Jon- Sounds like fun was the 2000k road, dirt road, cross country or combination? Anyway is a lot of riding time. Just for the fun of it I googled LSVW and what is one of the websites that pops up LSVW Master Lesson Plans http://armyapp.dnd.ca/38cbg_arsd/CD/...VW/lsvwmlp.htm

How is the noise level in the LSVW?

After years of having to shout to talk in the CMPs, some of which are noisier than others, I’ve gone over to a amour based intercom system with noise canceling mikes you can actually talk and hear at comfortable levels. The intercom is uses the PA part of the CB radio for internal conversation. Then you can switch over to use the CB or HF radios. Or listen to AM-FM tape radio. Still working on the system so that I can monitor all three radios at the same time.

Radio system is great when we are convoying like yesterday, 12 MVs driving along the highway in the rain at 35 mph. Makes road touring as a group a lot more fun.
`45 HUP
Old 21-05-07, 05:47
V.M.V.C Member

Default Daily driver

Over the last few weeks while my wife has been driving my company Ute, I was left to drive the CGT to work a round trip of about 50 miles each day. The longest trip I have done is 16,000km on a tip around Aus in the CGT. The trip took 2 months & the CGT used $9,000 of fuel.(i think I need help).
4? C-GT (Aust) #8
44 C-GT (Aust) #9
42 Jeep, Trailer Aust 3
Welbike MK2 complete
Welbike MK2 inconplete under resto
C15A x3
C60S x1 ex ambo
F60L x3
LP2a carrier SAR #4993.
Trailer No27 Limber
Trailer, Cario cargo
Trailer, Pontoon semi
Wiles Cooker 2 wheeled (jnr)
Old 22-05-07, 02:33
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: Sounds like fun

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Waterman
Jon- Sounds like fun was the 2000k road, dirt road, cross country or combination? Anyway is a lot of riding time. Just for the fun of it I googled LSVW and what is one of the websites that pops up LSVW Master Lesson Plans http://armyapp.dnd.ca/38cbg_arsd/CD/...VW/lsvwmlp.htm

How is the noise level in the LSVW?

After years of having to shout to talk in the CMPs, some of which are noisier than others, I’ve gone over to a amour based intercom system with noise canceling mikes you can actually talk and hear at comfortable levels. The intercom is uses the PA part of the CB radio for internal conversation. Then you can switch over to use the CB or HF radios. Or listen to AM-FM tape radio. Still working on the system so that I can monitor all three radios at the same time.

Radio system is great when we are convoying like yesterday, 12 MVs driving along the highway in the rain at 35 mph. Makes road touring as a group a lot more fun.
Phil:

Lesson Plans are very similar to that which we teach.

Noise level in LSVW is moderate but some shouting is sometimes required. Different story for MLVW, which constitutes Week 2 of the course.

Intercom usage would be a bonus for in-cab comms, however it just can't be done on a random basis for the various courses. Agree, though, that intra-vehicle comms would be great not only for driver instruction but also packet/convoy control.

Back to work tomorrow...MLVW The Horror, The Horror
Old 22-05-07, 14:30

Default I think Euan holds the title

That is of course the modern title for longest drive in a CMP. But think about the guys driving supply trucks across North Africa or on the original MapleLeafUP.

Though there are some other people out there who have driven their HMVs some serious distance. Thinking of some of the people who drove the Alcan a few years ago.

With the way fuel prices are going right now my C60 is getting about $.50 per mile just on fuel. But if you can enjoy driving them why have them.

Next week be Memorial Day here in the States our MV club will be participating in 3 parades so that will add to mileage total. Our Club is doing a lot more parades right now, the commander of the NH State Guard is referring communities with parades to us because the Guard is so short on equipment and man power. Combination of the War and flood releaf work that the Guard has been doing recently.

Jon- Which type of MLVW are you working with now, I'm not familiar with different types.
`45 HUP
Old 23-05-07, 02:37
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: I think Euan holds the title

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Waterman
That is of course the modern title for longest drive in a CMP. But think about the guys driving supply trucks across North Africa or on the original MapleLeafUP.

Though there are some other people out there who have driven their HMVs some serious distance. Thinking of some of the people who drove the Alcan a few years ago.

With the way fuel prices are going right now my C60 is getting about $.50 per mile just on fuel. But if you can enjoy driving them why have them.

Next week be Memorial Day here in the States our MV club will be participating in 3 parades so that will add to mileage total. Our Club is doing a lot more parades right now, the commander of the NH State Guard is referring communities with parades to us because the Guard is so short on equipment and man power. Combination of the War and flood releaf work that the Guard has been doing recently.

Jon- Which type of MLVW are you working with now, I'm not familiar with different types.
Phil:

M35, M36, M36C