MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 22-04-23, 11:02
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Defense Association

Not heard of this organization. It appears the magazine was short lived, only lasting around 8 months https://worldradiohistory.com/Amateur_Radio_Defense.htm
Attached Thumbnails
defense.jpg  
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 22-04-23, 18:13
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Interesting as I've never heard of this organization. I've known of the War Emergency Radio Service that permitted hams to use vhf/uhf sets in support of local authorities. Reading the editor's comments on the last edition it sounded a bit like sour grapes. He wasn't receiving advertizer income that he hoped for. His statement " This magazine is a propaganda organ, designed to influence the capable men of amateur radio to join A.R.D.A." probably didn't help.
Old 23-04-23, 04:00
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default San Francisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce MacMillan View Post
Interesting as I've never heard of this organization. I've known of the War Emergency Radio Service that permitted hams to use vhf/uhf sets in support of local authorities. Reading the editor's comments on the last edition it sounded a bit like sour grapes. He wasn't receiving advertizer income that he hoped for. His statement " This magazine is a propaganda organ, designed to influence the capable men of amateur radio to join A.R.D.A." probably didn't help.
Hi Bruce

My ham friend in San Francisco has informed me he has original copies of these magazines, not surprising as the mag. was published there. Yes , during WW2 U.S. hams were allowed to use VHF sets ( 118 MHz) to communicate with Government departments including the military, mostly the navy .

The magazine may have had veiled links to a certain San Francisco based radio company called TECRAD . This company were manufacturing amenities receivers and two way radios for the US Government and civilians.

In olden times , I believe the word propaganda was used in a different context to how we use it today. I found this: In English, propaganda was originally a neutral term for the dissemination of information in favor of any given cause.
Attached Thumbnails
TECRAD.jpg  
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 23-04-23 at 04:25.