MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 02-06-13, 03:10

Default Communications Headsets For Carrier Crew (Parade)

Took The Carrier for a Drive to the neighboring Community Parade today.
5 gallons of Gas and a total of 20Miles in City Traffic.
I hang an Electric fan in front of the Carrier Grill between the Driver and co driver to Keep it Cool.
Great Time but Tiring .I cannot Imagine the Long Drives the Regiments had during the War.
regards

Jeff

Last edited by jeff davis; 03-06-13 at 04:53. Reason: Makes sense
Old 02-06-13, 03:30

I'm a little confused, are you saying the parade route was 20 miles long?

R
Old 02-06-13, 06:08

Default Parade

Uphill and in a snow storm both ways.
Sorry I drove the Carrier in City traffic to get to the Parade.Participated in the parade and Drove in traffic back to were the Carrier is stored.
Regards
Jeff
Old 02-06-13, 10:04
Barry

Thumbs up

I know the feeling
Did 20 miles last summer.
Afterwards I was shattered, deaf, and all my tooth fillings were loose !!!

Great fun !!!

Pictures please
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1368.jpg  
Old 02-06-13, 16:59

Default Parade

We stopped at a drive through on the way home and neither My Son or I could hear Properly.
Anyone know of a Cheap VOX System out there?
Jeff
Old 02-06-13, 17:11

Cheap is cheap and you will not be happy.

We have pair of these http://peltorcomms.3m.com/world/News...sPageNumber=86 (without bluetooth add on) and have found them very useful and reliable.

Because they are wireless it enables two or more people to operate in and around equipment with ease and a high degree of safety.

We do a lot of work with big pieces of kit and need to have a ground guide.

They are not cheap but they are a lifetime cost and you will find more uses for them as you own them.

The only part that takes some getting familiar with is the sound activated microphone. Typically for the first hour the newbie clips his opening word as it takes a nano second for the mike to open, so the word "Hello" comes out as "Lo".

Peltor is pretty much the cats meow.

The fact that we can use them with any vehicle and no hardware is great.

Just as an aside, your carrier is a registered and insured vehicle for the road in BC?

R
Old 02-06-13, 20:19
Richard Harrison

you can buy the scala rider intercoms by cardo systems online fairly cheap they are high quality wireless systems that can pair up to 3 people per group (for the older S2 and FM sets) you could mount the boom mike and ear peices to a normal set of ampi vox ear defenders and your good to go. i used them in rally x cars and on bikes and they are a fantastic system. the FM ones have radio built and connect t mobile phones etc on top of the comms between sets. you just pair them up dead easy

Richie

__5th Div___46th Div__
1942 Ford Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
Lower Hull No. 10131
War Department CT54508 (SOLD)
1944 Ford Universal Carrier MkII* (under restoration).
1944 Morris C8 radio body (under restoration).
Old 02-06-13, 21:11
AKA Rick Wedlock

hi fella's
i had the same problem and came up with what to me was the perfect solution. i have used them several times and they worked great.
below is the post i originally did on another forum which explains a little bit more about it.

the time is drawing close to when the carrier and other vehicles will be ready to go on the road which got me thinking about comms between driver and commander and owing to the fact that i wouldn't want to pay for a working wartime set in all the vehicles i thought i had better come up with another alternative which after a quick search on ebay i did. i decided to use existing afv headsets as they are obviously made for the job and combine them with a motorbike walkie talkie set with open helmet headsets, after an hour of fiddling both sets had been converted and work very well and look just like the originals, unlike the original they also have the benefit of wireless comms which is great when the vehicle is being guided from someone on the ground also when not in use you can disconnect the headsets and take the walkitalkie with you if you were at a show for those urgent messages back to base ie. red or brown sauce.
if you search on ebay for "clansman headsets" you should be able to get 2 for under £20 delivered. search for "motorbike intercom" for the walkie talkie and headset which is only limited by your budget i of course went for the cheapest which was £60 delivered it had a stated range of 3 miles (my arse) but that is more like 300m with buildings and trees so if you wanted to use it at something like beltring you might want to go for a better spec (i would).
the job of fitting the new headsets into the old clansman sets was easy and i've posted some pics for anyone that fancies a go at it.
first strip out the earphone that contains the mike boom and strip out the old wiring and earpiece and mike. the only hard bit is the ally threaded lug that holds the mike to the earpiece i used a hacksaw to cut it off and you should be left with the pieces in the first pic.
then drill out the holes to enable the mike and jack plug to pass through their holes. the jack plug goes through the hole to the back where the existing cable came in from, then fix the mike to the inside of the earpiece and push the mike through and silicon the mike from the inside to make it water tight.
the new speaker fits nicely into the old earpiece and can go back on it's original fittings. where the jack plug comes through the headset i used the old rubber bung from the original cable to seal it up again but this will need to be cut and glued back into place and that's it. there is no external difference from the original and it works great and cost under £80 for the 2 and if you liked to you can have upto 20 headsets linked although that would be some big arse afv you'd be driving to fit that many people in
Attached Thumbnails
4%20jan%2011%20228.jpg   4%20jan%2011%20230.jpg  
1942 Mk1* Carrier
1943 T16 Carrier
1945 Mk3 Dingo
1941 Mk3 Covenanter
1941 Mk4 Churchill AVRE (now sold)
1944 Mk6 Cromwell (now sold)
1952 Mk3 Centurion
1952 ARV Centurion
1952 ARV Centurion
1953 Mk3 Centurion (breaking)
Old 03-06-13, 04:27

I must be a masochist... I am tryign to make my WS 19 IC system work for the three crew in the Humber A/C....

Actually, trying to adapt the original wiring and headsets to use a modern IC chip and impedance match to the CB and FRS radios we are using at reenactments.

SO few people have fnctional WS/19s, and even less have the proper licenses to operate them. SO, for reeanctments, the radio of choice is Citizen's band and FRS. If youmess with radios, you know that modern radios' impendance is different than the wartime radios. The headsets and mikes are not directly compatible with out some Resistors and caps added.

Anyone else out there dealt with this?
Old 03-06-13, 04:35

Rick, why not try to graf the Peltor headset electronics into a Wartime WS/19 Headset instead of a post war Clansman?
Old 03-06-13, 04:56

Default Headsets

Changed Title
Regards
Jeff
Old 03-06-13, 20:49
AKA Rick Wedlock

errm ! sorry jeff for stealing the thread.
1942 Mk1* Carrier
1943 T16 Carrier
1945 Mk3 Dingo
1941 Mk3 Covenanter
1941 Mk4 Churchill AVRE (now sold)
1944 Mk6 Cromwell (now sold)
1952 Mk3 Centurion
1952 ARV Centurion
1952 ARV Centurion
1953 Mk3 Centurion (breaking)
Old 03-06-13, 23:18

Default Comms

Not Stealing I wanted an answer to a Question.
I tend to Change topics during most conversations anyways.
Jd
Old 03-06-13, 23:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Burrill View Post
I must be a masochist... I am tryign to make my WS 19 IC system work for the three crew in the Humber A/C....

Actually, trying to adapt the original wiring and headsets to use a modern IC chip and impedance match to the CB and FRS radios we are using at reenactments.

SO few people have fnctional WS/19s, and even less have the proper licenses to operate them. SO, for reeanctments, the radio of choice is Citizen's band and FRS. If youmess with radios, you know that modern radios' impendance is different than the wartime radios. The headsets and mikes are not directly compatible with out some Resistors and caps added.

Anyone else out there dealt with this?
I've put FRS into all of the radios in my rigs and haven't had an issue with using unaltered period headsets & microphones. The FRS input/output lines are connected to the internals of the period headset & mic jacks. With the No. 19 set in the Dingo, the FRS is connected in the Control Box, not the period radio itself. Since the period radio controls don't actually do anything, I set the FRS and tuck it into the Signals satchel.