MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Military Shows & Events

Notices

Old 04-05-03, 02:00
Member since 1998

Default Back to the Track 2005

Hello Trackers.... The first official meeting took place last night in Perth with 25 people attending. A bbq was held as a "get to know everyone" gathering and then the maps were laid out for discussion of routes.

So far the route is starting in Perth, then Geraldton, Monkey Mia to see the dolphins (a fish not the rugby team), Mt Augustus, Meekatharra, Carnigie, Giles, Ularu and finally Alice Springs. This is planned as a 20 day trip over 4,000 kms and fuel will need to be carried over certain sections.

Kms per day will average from 200 to 350.

A one week stay is planned in Alice Springs with a trip out to the Transport Hall of Fame and other events.

So far there are 50 entries with half those from the eastern side of Oz and a train to carry vehicles west is planned. Numbers will drop off and others will join closer to the due date but we expect 40 vehicles to start the run in July 2005

Vehicles attending include mostly trucks, 13 CMPs, GMCs, Landrovers, an Austin K9, jeeps, a Dodge 6x6, Internationals/ACCOs, the 43 beetle, Bedford QL, Fargo, a Chev 4x4 Joe and one motorbike and sidecar (no, not me this time).

There will be radios, CBs, a RFDS radio, 2 doctors and 3 nurses in the party to cover any safety issues or breakdowns.

Bob Dimer is organising the 2005 event from Perth and anyone interested in joining in can contact him or other ex trackers, they are everywhere.
Old 04-05-03, 11:10

Thumbs up Re: Back to the Track 2005

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayne Henderson
Hello Trackers......
Bob Dimer is organising the 2005 event from Perth and anyone interested in joining in can contact him or other ex trackers, they are everywhere.
Hi Wayne,
As a veteran Tracker of the 1995 and 2000 trips, I would like to think that I could make it back to Aus. for the 2005 event. Both trips give me great memories and they were entirely different. On the 2000, I drove a jeep on my own and thoroughly enjoyed it, I wonder how you would have managed getting the Norton across the Finke river though!
Give my regards to other Trackers when you see them......

Richard
Old 04-05-03, 14:51
Dutch member

Default Back to the track 1995

Hallo Wayne,

I am impressed by the happening of the event "Back to the Track"
after reading the official edition of "The Book". (a present from Mr.
Bart Vanderveen, three years ago). Nice story's / photo's / maps
inside the book,1945 - 1995.

Mvg. Dirk

Old 05-05-03, 22:57
Member since 1998

Default River crossing?

Hi Richard,
Will you make it 3 of 3? I will be taking the 43 volkswagen and going for comfort in the spine rather than to seek medical attention after the event.

"How to cross a river on a Big 4"

Access the situation.

Connect rubber breather hose to the carby intake.

Engage the sidecar drive.

Select 1st gear.

Increase throttle.

Hold breath and release clutch...

or you can drink whiskey while you wait for the next trailer to pass by.
Old 06-05-03, 00:32

Default Re: River crossing?

Quote:
Hi Richard,
Will you make it 3 of 3? I will be taking the 43 volkswagen and going for comfort in the spine rather than to seek medical attention after the event.

"How to cross a river on a Big 4"

or you can drink whiskey while you wait for the next trailer to pass by.
Hi Wayne,
Would very much like to make it 3 out of 3, will have to assess the situation later in the year.

I think your mag would have suffered in the Finke crossing, I recollect the water was above my knees...... best bet would have been the last option with the whisky.
All the best, mate.

Richard
Old 20-05-03, 06:37
Jeep guy in CMP world!

HI wayne,
can you give me a contact number/email/addres for bob please? my mum and i`ll be taking my jeep along- it`ll be finished by then, i promised my self! and mums looking for info. she read that the gunbarrel wasnt suitable for trailers also- do you know if this is the case? a jeep trailer would be ok wouldnt it?

Cheers,

Ian.

1942 Script Willys MB, sn:131175
1942 Script Ford GPW, sn:11730
1944 Ford GPW
1943 #3 GMH jeep trailer
1945 #4 GMH, RAAF jeep Trailer
SOLD: Ford F15A. Aust. #? Office Body.
www.vintageengines.net
Old 20-05-03, 09:32
Pops

Default 2005 trip

Wayne

Have you got the starting date for this trip? I was told but i've lost it.

Max
Old 20-05-03, 23:04
Member since 1998

Default dates for BTTT

The starting date will be in early July 2005 (first week) with the arrival in Alice Springs to coincide with celebrations at the "Transport Hall of Fame".

The road conditions on the Gunbarrel change with the seasons and there are good and bad parts which change daily. There are several jeep and trailer combos already signed up for this event. Most people will be taking trucks as you can sleep in them and the bigger the tyre the better the run along the gravel.

It's not my place to give out Bob's contact details but ask anyone in any of the military vehicle clubs on your side of the paddock as he is well known to them.
Old 21-05-03, 04:23
Jeep guy in CMP world!

HI wayne, thanks for that info, i`ll ask some of the blokes in the club for some contact details for bob- i understand completely why you cant give them out.

I thought we`d be able to take a trailer, but wondered!

i thought i heard a rumor that there was a newsletter going around, is that still ahppenning too?

Cheers,

Ian.

1942 Script Willys MB, sn:131175
1942 Script Ford GPW, sn:11730
1944 Ford GPW
1943 #3 GMH jeep trailer
1945 #4 GMH, RAAF jeep Trailer
SOLD: Ford F15A. Aust. #? Office Body.
www.vintageengines.net
Old 21-05-03, 22:46
Member since 1998

Default Newsletter

There will be several newsletters issued up until the run with the first still being penned but not too far off...
Old 22-06-03, 10:25
Member since 1998

Default Re start date.

After speaking to Bob this weekend, the start date will be August 6 2005, so that's a whole extra month to work on your vehicles. A newsletter will be sent to the 52 signed up entrants by August 6 this year, 2 years from the start date.

Last edited by Wayne Henderson; 23-06-03 at 23:14.
Old 01-12-04, 09:43
Member since 1998

Default Trackers 2005

Only 9 months left to get those green machines (or yellow for the nazis) up and ready for the big push in August.

Over 60 vehicle owners have expressed an interest so far, mostly trucks, mostly CMPs.

The number of "new" vehicles being restored here in W.A. must be a record for military vehicles restored in one Year.

I sold my VW Kommanderwagen to some nazi re-enactors over in Sydney and they are coming along with it, a kubel and some sidecar outfits, this I have to see... should be fun when the sun goes down and the beer is gone... wonder if they have told Bob yet?

My truck, Lumpy (a C15A), is progressing well with cab/chassis/ tray complete.
Today I had a local tyre bloke strip four 900x16 tyres and wheels in my back yard. He used a Porta Pak bead breaker and a rattle gun and was done in 15 minutes. Then he rattled $80 out of me. Worth every cent to see those 1942 tyres pop off the rim. I took photos.

Cheers, Wayne Henderson
Old 01-12-04, 15:57
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Trackers 2005

Quote:
I sold my VW Kommanderwagen to some nazi re-enactors over in Sydney and they are coming along with it, a kubel and some sidecar outfits, this I have to see... should be fun when the sun goes down and the beer is gone... wonder if they have told Bob yet?
Wayne,
This event sounds like great fun. Sorry if I get this wrong, but I'm a bit worried to hear "nazi re-enactors" are joining in. Anyway, when the sun goes down and the beer is gone, round them up in a barbed wire cage and have them wear a set of striped pyjama's and feed them stale bread and water ... that should separate the boys from the men

H.

P.S. for old times sake, here's a pic of your Volkswagen Typ 82E Kommandeurwagen lookalike you sent me a couple of years ago.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-04, 21:36
Member since 1998

Default re enactors

Hi Hanno,
The nazi re enactor fellows are free to come along with their vehicles but the point of "uniforms" and all the crap that goes with it, will be where the fights start. This fact will be made VERY clear months before the start as we are out to enjoy several weeks of Australia's outback and catch up with fellow military vehicle collectors from across the country.

With over 60 vehicle owners expressing their interest in the 2005 run it is expected that many will drop out, for all matter of reasons, before the start in August. This occured in 1995 and 2000. If 40 vehicles turn up at the start that will still be one huge convoy to fuel, feed and sell beer to at every town along the route.
Old 01-12-04, 21:51

Default Re: re enactors

Quote:
With over 60 vehicle owners expressing their interest in the 2005 run it is expected that many will drop out, for all matter of reasons, before the start in August. This occured in 1995 and 2000. If 40 vehicles turn up at the start that will still be one huge convoy to fuel, feed and sell beer to at every town along the route.
Hi Wayne,

Being a veteran of the 1995 and 2000 events, I am sorry not to be able to get to the 2005 run. I remember meeting you at Alice in 2000 with your Norton, a real pity you were not able to travel up with us on that one. Hopefully we will get a lot of feedback on here of what happened, I have a lot of memories of funny things that occured and the odd problems people encountered. It is good to hear there are a good number of Blitzs on this one, there were few in 2000. Keep us posted on developments.

best wishes,
Richard
Old 02-12-04, 14:18
MLU Administrator

Default Re: re enactors

Quote:
The nazi re enactor fellows are free to come along with their vehicles but the point of "uniforms" and all the crap that goes with it, will be where the fights start. This fact will be made VERY clear months before the start as we are out to enjoy several weeks of Australia's outback and catch up with fellow military vehicle collectors from across the country.
Hi Wayne,

I´m sorry to have brought this point up, but even though I was born decades after WW2, I always feel a strange sensation when I see people re-enacting "Nazi's". Years ago I read about a camp in the UK where one could spend a weekend as a Nazi prisoner - why anyone would want to do that is beyond me?!?
Also, this month a saw a picture of children dressed up as Hitler Youth's in a Classic Military Vehicle Magazine. In my eyes this is disgusting!
I have no problems with anyone dressing up as a Wehrmacht soldier when driving a German vehicle, but for me it stops where anyone tries to depict Hitler's Henchmen and Nazi sympathizers - I see no way to do this respectfully. The only place for such uniforms is a museum in a proper historical context.

Rant over - have fun on the Track!

Hanno
Old 02-12-04, 21:43
Member since 1998

Default Tracker veteran

Hi Richard,
It is a pity you will miss the 2005 event as it will be going through the best part of Australia, Western Australia. You still have time to save your Euros and get down here and bum a lift. If I can talk my wife and kids out of coming I'll give you a shout.

Hanno, I know where you are coming from on the nazi thing but Australia is a country where individuals have the freedom to do most things still. Nazis can wear their uniforms and people who take offence can punch them in the head. Time and age makes no difference to what offends.
Old 03-01-05, 16:51
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Trackers 2005

Quote:
See http://www.sa.apana.org.au/~brad/DAK4.html for their website.

H.
Old 12-06-05, 03:48
Member since 1998

Default Trackers 2005

Hi Trackers,
I've been offline for 6 months so sorry for the lack of updates but Bob has those interested parties informed.

7 weeks till departure... that flew. All in order with a few details to finalize.
Fuel in Shark Bay is only $1.30 a litre and the daytime temp is high 20's

My C15a is now licensed but needs the tarp fitted.

Steve has the firewall on the Powerwagon fitted to the chassis and as usual Bob has just started on his Toyota/Dodge WC.

See you in August.
Old 23-07-05, 01:24
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Euan has departed

Yesterday Euan McDonald and family departed Melbourne on the first leg of their journey around Australia in their No9 CGT towing a "Corio" trailer which Euan has transformed into a camper for the trip.
First leg was to the family farm several hours to the West of Melbourne at Brimpaen.
Euan has spent the past month rebuilding both trailer and vehicle including such mods as fitting the correct 24 gallon fuel tanks, and many details on the engine such as distributor and water pump as well as a myriad of smaller details like rebushing clutch pedal, wiring, side steps and so on.
He's also fitted new tyres for the trip on both CMP and trailer but at the time of departure still had some teething problems such as wheel shimmy which he hopes to rectify with wheel balancing and a steering damper.
There was also a worrying lack of power which may be something as simple as tweaking the timing - he hopes it's not the heavy trailer! He has many thousands of kilometers ahead of him as he travels to Perth to join the rest of the convoy, then up the West coast, across to Darwin and then down through the centre.
Creature "comforts" added to the CGT include BMW seats, full carpeting, UHF and VHF radio and (wait for it) a DVD player mounted on the rear of the battery box to keep the children amused on those long stretches.
Chris took this picture earlier in the week when we visited.
Attached Thumbnails
chris_1.jpg  

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 23-07-05, 02:53

I wish him and all the others luck. Once they move down through Queensland I hope someone will let me know were I can see them once they reach Gympie.
Old 23-07-05, 16:59
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally posted by cliff
... Once they move down through Queensland I hope someone will let me know were I can see them once they reach Gympie.
Cliff,

I hope you know that the other half of us NOT from your end of the world have NO idea what you're talking about...

Good luck to Euan in the meantime, and Keefy, did you lend him a camera to record the event? I would have loved to be in on this, but there's a small thing like distance/airfare in the way...
Old 23-07-05, 20:57
Film maker, CMP addict

Default The route

I'm not sure which route they're taking, exactly but I don't think Euan's coming through Qld. Bob or Wayne, can you please clarify?
Don't worry, Geoff Euan has a digital camera and will be taking lots of pics.

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 23-07-05, 22:59

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Cliff,

I hope you know that the other half of us NOT from your end of the world have NO idea what you're talking about...

Good luck to Euan in the meantime, and Keefy, did you lend him a camera to record the event? I would have loved to be in on this, but there's a small thing like distance/airfare in the way...
: and here I was thinking that Gympie was the centre of the world
Old 24-07-05, 02:11

Default Pictures along the way I hope

OK we want pictures along the way? How far? How many? Many of us wish we were you.

Good luck and keep us posted.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 24-07-05, 04:31
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Sunday July 24th Update

After staying an extra day at the family farm due to the family coming down with fly-like symptoms - the break also allowing Euan to finish making the side curtains - today's progress report was made from Horsham in the West of Victoria where many, many litres of fuel are being pumped into the tanks.

After adjusting the timing (advancing about 4 deg) the truck and trailer combination was sitting on about 95 Km/h, however further adjustment has resulted in a lower speed of around 75 Km/h - which Euan will investigate at the next opportunity.

The one saving grace in this is both speeds are below the wheel shimmy speed.

Current plans are to travel to Perth and Monkey Mia, across to the Alice, then home, but if problems persist the route may be from Port Augusta directly to Alice Springs.

Time will tell.

Stay tuned for the next instalment.

Horsham is near the upper centre of this map.

Map source

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 24-07-05, 04:40
Member since 1998

Default Eastern Invasion

The blokes from the east side of the paddock have started to arrive already.
Most of the visitors will arrive via the Nullabour (Big long straight Road to our overseas friends).
There are plenty of military type places to visit over here and a few collections to view for those with time to do so before we depart.

August 6 we push off north via Cervantes, Dongara, Geraldton, Billabong, Overlander, Nanga, Monkey Mia, and Wooramel. Then it's inland to Mt Augustus and a whole lot of places with Aboriginal names usually meaning "Don't go There".

There are 48 vehicles in total with 13 Cmps, Several GMCs, Dodges, Bedfords, Macks and various others including a very brave fellow with a BSA M20.

Ularu (Ayres Rock), Kings Canyon and The Olgas are some of the other destinations on the way to Alice Springs.

Euan is expected and I will introduce him to the best wines in Australia, from the southwest of W.A., better than that bat piss they make over there.

Just a pity Keith is not comming to do film justice to this trip, maybe in 2010?
Old 25-07-05, 05:30
Likes Wusty Old Twuks

Default I just have to catch him

I like the look of those gun tractor seats they sure look comfie. I have given Euan a weeks head start and hope to catch him in the Toy Dodge. Does anyone know if others are yet to leave from the East Coast? Leaving on Thursday and hope to cover 4000km in 3 days with two drivers to keep rolling non stop.
Old 25-07-05, 08:23
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Update July 25th

Euan called around mid-day from Tailem Bend, still frustrated by the lack of speed and still suspecting the distributor so he's planning to replace it with the original.

A stiff headwind doesn't help either.

Tailem Bend is just South East of Murray Bridge on the map, which comes from the same source as the previous one (as will following maps).

Let's hope for the family's sake more speed can be made!

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 25-07-05, 11:20
Film maker, CMP addict

Default The race is about to be joined...

Mark Sierant is heading off Thursday in his Toyota "Weap" with a relief driver planning to cover some 1200 km per day at an average speed of 80 Km/h. That means 15 hour days.

At least Euan has a head start!

Tonight Euan is planning to meet with Salesman Bob.

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb