MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Military Shows & Events

Notices

Old 27-02-05, 15:03

Default Victory Parade

On May 14 2005 a parade to honour the veterans of World War Two will be held in Goderich Ontario. The local Dutch community is erecting a memorial to show their appreciation for the liberation of Holland by Canadian troops. The parade will be through the town to the memorial and its dedication service.
The parade committee would like to invite all veterans who would be interested to come and participate in the parade. Also required for that day is military vehicles for the veterans to ride in. Any support from the MV owners would be most apprecited and any era vehicle is welcome.
At this time not all the details for the day are final but have listed this to get the date out so people can be aware of the event and hopefully consider coming and join us.
There is an information site at www.victory.typepad.com that will be updated as we get more info. It also has an e-mail address if you have any questions or want to contact us about participation.
Old 27-02-05, 17:26
T-16, C15A

Default Already Booked

Gord,

I have alreday booked that weekend to attend the festivities in the "Prettiest Town in Canada".

See you there.

Stewart
Old 03-03-05, 21:07
M38A1 CDN3

I, too, hope to attend, having been told previously about this event by Stewart Loy.

Hopefully I can bring my 15 cwt, but I'm not sure my back and backside will stand up to 40 mph trip for about 2 hours.
Old 20-04-05, 03:22
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Gord, sent you an email but please contact me asap as I've some goodies available if you want at your parade...

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 28-04-05, 12:55

Default Victory parade Update

The arrangements for the day of parade on May 14 are nearly complete. We hope to have about twenty military vehicles that day, including the Limber Gunners Association Quad and 25pounder.
The Dutch committee has arranged for the Mynarski Lancaster to be at the Goderich airport satarday morning from 9:30 to 12:30 with a fly past over Goderich as she leaves for Hamilton.
After the parade there will be static display of vehicles, Second World War re-enactors and Military Bands playing in concert in the Court-House park. As well the Dutch committee has arranged for a Dutch Market to be set up with people in Dutch costumes to give festive feeling to the setting.
This will be a whole day of interesting things to see and do so please come and watch the parade to honour our Veterans and then enjoy the rest of the days entertainment.
Old 15-05-05, 03:59
M38A1 CDN3

Default Goderich, May 2005

Goderich, Ontario, is a city/town of some 7000 people, with a strong Dutch background.

Today, some 18 MVs were part of a VE Day parade here, in recognition of this auspicious event.

I most probably have missed a couple of vehicles, what with some doing parade marshalling duties and other "to and froing", however here's what I scribbled down as being on parade:

1 x T16 Carrier
2 x Mk II* Carriers
2 x Willys MB 1/4 T
3 x M38
3 x M38A1
2 x M37
1 X C15A
1 x 2 1/2 T
1 x FAT
1x APT Dodge Wpns Carrier
1 x C15A towing a Bofors gun
1 x Silverado MILCOT

The carriers were, of course, Stewart Loy's, Perry Kitson's and Charlie Fitton's.

Veterans were carried in most, if not all, MVs. Great exercise prying them into and out of the vehicles.

Usual before- parade hiccups...Perry's carrier being tow started by a Chev! , some electrical problems with Stewart's T16
and a fire under one of the civilian vehicles towing another MV.

The crowd response was absolutely phenomenal! The cheering and clapping could be heard, to me, over the Ford flat head V8 of Stewart's T16...in which I had the pleasure of co-driving.

The only "damper" was that, when the last blabby politician had his/her yakfest, then it started raining.

Overall, a great experience, in microcosm, to what it must have been like in Ottawa and Apeldoorn.
Old 15-05-05, 13:33
T-16, C15A

Default Good Event

Jon,

You should have stayed for the real rainy season later in the afternoon! It was coming down really hard, and a good time was had by all. Just like Charlie says - the woolies are warm when they are wet ( but they are still wet ).

Hats off to Gord Yoe and all of the other organizers of this event as it was very well done.

I just wonder what Gord will be having for left overs - with all that BBQ beef cooking as the rain drove the crowds away.

Stewart
Old 15-05-05, 13:50

Default pictures of parade

I took about 40, 35mm and some digital pictures of the parade, and likely have multiple shots of all the vehicles. If anyone is interested in the pics, (and if I can get the computer to work properly) I can send you copies.

Shawn
Old 15-05-05, 14:40
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Stew, I concur regarding the rain. Barry Layton driving the APT and myself a M38, decided to go for a drive round town before dinner. As it was looking a lot like rain, we decided against setting up on display at the courthouse, in favour of a quick dinner and then a long, long drive home.
The dinner at the Know Pres. Church was excellent, and all the guests were treated like royalty.
The drive home in open mvs was certainly cold and wet, kinda like driving in a typhoon. 3 hours and a stop for fuel... lucky to have a top on the jeep, no side curtains of course. An excellent time was had.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 15-05-05, 17:52
T-16, C15A

Default Re: pictures of parade

Quote:
Originally posted by shawn anderson
I took about 40, 35mm and some digital pictures of the parade, and likely have multiple shots of all the vehicles. If anyone is interested in the pics, (and if I can get the computer to work properly) I can send you copies.

Shawn
Shawn,

I would be very interested in a shot of the Carriers together. If you have a shot showing Perry Kiston, Charlie Fitton, and myself you may have solved one of the mysteries that has perplexed the greatest minds of our time.

A picture of we 3 Carrier gents in one place at the same time may finally put to rest the notions that I am Charlie, that Charlie is Perry, and/or that Perry and Charlie are the same fellow.

Please keep us informed!

Stewart
Old 16-05-05, 02:35
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: Re: pictures of parade

Quote:
Originally posted by Stewart Loy
Shawn,

I would be very interested in a shot of the Carriers together. If you have a shot showing Perry Kiston, Charlie Fitton, and myself you may have solved one of the mysteries that has perplexed the greatest minds of our time.

A picture of we 3 Carrier gents in one place at the same time may finally put to rest the notions that I am Charlie, that Charlie is Perry, and/or that Perry and Charlie are the same fellow.

Please keep us informed!

Stewart
Hee,Hee,Hee. Guess who has pics of the guys referred to above?

I can categorically state, that having met the triumvirate alluded to above, that Charlie is Charlie; Perry is Perry, and Stewart is Stewart...so, there you go.
Old 16-05-05, 05:28

Default Many Thanks

The veterans in Goderich were well served this past saturday by all the people who brought their military vehicle for them to ride in. Friday afternoon brought rain and heavy fog along lake Huron saturday morning. Barry Layon called me from Georgetown for a weather check saturday morning and STILL set out driving an open APT with Chris Vickery in a M38a1 they had a 3+ hour drive each way . Everyone who said they would come was there !
There was problems with equipment before and after the parade but everything went off flawlessly when it counted. Stewarts referance to when it realy got rainy reveals the real metal of the carrier guys. They had a balky carrier that had to be towed back to the assembly area in the rain. The good humour and attitude during the whole episode was as if the sun was shineing.
I had the opportunity to see the three carriers with the veterans on board and they had a fantastic time riding in them. Jim Rutlidge had an idea to throw a party like no one in this area had ever seen before for the veterans and they came from as far west as Manitoba. This event relied on a lot of help from a lot of people but the day could not have happened with as much success without the people who provided 21 vehicles and the Bofors gun. The organizing committee's would like to thank you all for coming and helping create this spectical for the veterans and those people who lined the streets.
I'm sure that pictures of the day will be made available and posted. I can hardly wait for someone to show me a tape of the parade because some of us got distracted doing other things.
Old 16-05-05, 07:47
Vets Dottir

Default Good stuff

Wow ... in spite of the weather, the whole event sounds like it was a great time for everyone ... it's good to see Stewart's carrier FULL of VETS ... in Ottawa I was expecting there would be no room for me in it because it would be full with our Vets. I'm sad we didn't have more vets on board, but glad I got to ride ... I guess we were parked too far up the parade line for our frailer Vets to walk.

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures from Goderich ... and I'm greatly disappointed to have not been able to attend this one. So ... pictures please

Karmen
Old 16-05-05, 13:21
Pops

Default VE parade

Jon tried to talk young Mat into going to the parade to catch up with you unfortunately there was a bad farming accident near his place. You could send us a photo of what rain looks like as it seems to be avoiding us over here these last few months. It would also be nice to see the vehicles and peoplewho attended.
Did you manage to drive your chev down all the way?

Max
Old 16-05-05, 17:42
pkitson

Just a quick note to thank all those involved with organizing the parade in Goderich this past weekend. Everything ran smoothly
(except my carrier), very enjoyable. It was great to see the public come out in those numbers and honour our veterans. I should also thank Mr. Loy (aka Charlie) for dragging me back to the trucks after the static display.
Old 16-05-05, 20:23
Vets Dottir

Default Goderich

Hello Everyone,

Here is a great photo of Stewart Loys T16 full of VETS for the Goderich parade ... and WHO might I ask, is that handsome standing in the front seat passenger side?

Wonderful photo Jon ... Geoff requested that I resize and post it in this thread.

Karmen
Attached Thumbnails
mvc-694f.jpg  
Old 18-05-05, 02:48

Default some of the pictures

here's some of the pics.
Old 18-05-05, 15:44

Default pictures

I can't seem to post any pictures. Is there a limit to the size or the format of the pics?

Shawn
Old 18-05-05, 16:06
Vets Dottir

Default Re: pictures

Quote:
I can't seem to post any pictures. Is there a limit to the size or the format of the pics?

Shawn
Hi Shawn,

Did you get a message pop up that said the image you tried to post was too large?

IF SO ... then the pics will need to be resized ... if you can't resize them yourself, someone in here will be glad to do that for you I'm sure.

Karmen
Old 18-05-05, 16:26
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: pictures

Quote:

Shawn
Shawn,

If you limit your pics to 600 pixels wide and 100 kb, you should be fine. Once you select any given pic in the box provided, do NOT attempt to preview; this will strip off the attachment. If we can help, let us know.
Old 18-05-05, 20:38

Default pictures....again

Thanks for your help. This should work
Attached Thumbnails
bgc  5.jpg  
Old 18-05-05, 20:38

another
Attached Thumbnails
c15a  2.jpg  
Old 18-05-05, 20:40

more
Attached Thumbnails