MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 14-11-03, 18:03

Default wheel hub nut

It is impossible for me to find the octagonal wrench for the rear hub nuts for the C15A. Is it available somewhere?
Old 14-11-03, 20:39

Default Which nut????

Francesco........ which nut are you referring to????

...the ones holding the wheels to the truck ......or the nuts holding the two halves of the rims together???? or again maybe the big nut holding the wheel bearing/axle hub....

...if it is the big hub nut... here in Canada most shops dealing with four wheel drive trucks would have a variety of over the counter sockets available for different makes and size....

If you can measure the size accurately it probably could be found in US suppliers BUT you may have to convert the size to inches.......
Canada
Old 17-11-03, 08:42

Default hub nut

Hello Bob, thank you for your answer. The nut is the big one on the rear hub, it measures 3" (76 mm) and is ocatagonal. I think the correct name for the wrench is box spanner but it could be a US definition. Enclose is the photo on C15A manual showing the wrench in use. Could you eventually get the wrench for me at a shop in Canada if you find it?
Attached Images

Old 17-11-03, 19:40

Default Absolutely....

Hi Francesco.....

Since I will need one for my own C15 I better go shopping for one......or two

Are you sure the size is exactly 3 inches... or can any one on the forum confirm....

I know..... I am too lazy to take one of my axles apart.... but I suppose I better try the socket on my truck before I ship out 3 pounds of steel to Italy.

I will buy one check the price and approx shipping cost and let you know. They are readily available and already have two different models for Ford and Dodge 4X4 and I am sure they are less than 3 inches.

Hang in there ........ glad to see you got the manual...hahaha .... recongnized the picture from the manual I got from Alex.
Canada
Old 17-11-03, 20:47
Film maker, CMP addict

Default The bush way to remove the nut

Most CMPs you find here which have spent time in the bush have been taken apart using the tried, tested, lazy and destructive method of the hammer and cold chisel.
Obviously they start with these tools to knock back the retaining washer lug then, rather than return to the toolbox think: "Oh well, this will be faster" and pound the nuts off with a chipping motion. Once the axle is back in the boss won't notice and the job's done.
You see the correct box wrench here from time to time and I have one along with the correct slip-in handle, a couple of which which Euan located. These are normally part of the CMP toolkit.
So much more civilised!

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 17-11-03, 20:47
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Default Axle nut socket

Bob, try one of the heavy truck shop and you should find one. I obtained a few different sizes overs the years, I believe through Carquest or a NAPA/UAP dealer. Typically made of stamped steel with a hole for a steel bar.
Old 18-11-03, 00:04

Default box spanner

Hi Francesco

These box spanners are actually very easy to make from a bit of thick walled tube if you have an oxy torch and a big hammer. The hardest bit is finding a lock nut will a full set of corners after years of having the life chiselled out of them. Just heat up the tube and knock some flats into it... It works a treat! An old toolmaker showed me how to do it some years back.. Best to use a piece of tube slightly bigger than the point to point size of the nut... but its not that critical..

I've made them for my C8 and C8A over the years

kind regards

Nick
Old 18-11-03, 08:43

Default Francesco

Oh well a lot of informations finally. Ok Bob first. The nut is exactly 3" measured with a caliper, the Dodge hub nut wrench is too small for this job. Also it is a six point nut. For what it concerns the "bush way" well, that's exactly what I did to disassemble the axle! After all it is not so common to have a 3" spanner in the box! I also figured out to thread two holes in the nut, put a bolt in them and use a bar to turn the nuts. The main problem is, in my opinion, that you have not only to turn the nuts, they have to fit the bearing to a correct measurement and that's not easy using a hammer and a chisel. So (thanks to Bob!) I would prefer finding out the correct spanner and do the setting correctly.
There are some spanners available here in Italy, but they are all six point nuts. I'd finally prefer to find one "on the counter" and the last option I'll make one myself.
Old 18-11-03, 21:03

Default Found it........

Bingo!!!!!

I found them at CarQuest in Ottawa..... made by Lyle.....part ## 1906.... has to be ordered...... will be there in 2 days..... cost $ 31.98 Cdn plus 15% tax..... shipping will be based on actual weight.....packing will be simple since it will hardly break in transit.

Should be able to confirm by end of this week.

To be safe I will disassemble one of my axles to make sure it fits....

Hand in there....
Canada
Old 18-11-03, 22:08

Default Nuts......

I was given wrong info by the distributor.

The Hub nut...axle bearing nut... is made by OTCtools.com......part number is still #1906 and it is for 3 inches which.... unless my eye sight is failing..... equates to 77mm for Italy..... it no doubt is a big sucker... I mean socket....spanner for our over the pond officiandos....

Thanks Chris for pointing out CarQuest...
.. the guy at the store got a kick of knowing what it was to be used for and where I was shipping out to...

Hang in there Francesco .... Santa claus will bring it for Xmas assuming you have been a good boy!!!

Could you contact me on my home site I need to discuss something else with you...... try RAC1812@aol.com
Canada
Old 21-11-03, 15:44

Default Got them.....

Hi Francesco

Picked up the two sockets last night, They are made by OTC and distributed by Hastings in Canada.

They are about 4 1/2 inches tall painted gray and will take a 3/4 inch male socket drive. Now you will have to pardon my international ignorance of the metric system.....but....... in Italy where I am sure you use sockets and ratchets what are the standard sizes for the square male components of those tools. IHere in Canada whether you use metric sockets or imperial mesurements sockets they are all designed to fit on 1/4, 3/8 , 1/2 or 3/4 inch drive sockets...... is it the same for Italy and the metric system?????

Reason I am asking is that I can get you and adapter from 3/4 to the more popular 1/2 drive. Let me know if you need something else.

Cost as changed a bit... as usual higher... came out to $33.08 and the weight is minimal. It will convert ot approx. 24 Euro........

I will test my socket out this weekend to make sure it does fit before I ship it out to you.

Don't forget to send me your full address.
Canada
Old 21-11-03, 17:03

Default wheel hub nut

Hello Bob I sent you a couple messages to the e-mail you gave me, did you receive them? However, I read through OTC catalog and the correct # is 1907 since 1906 is for a six point nut. No problem for the square male on the ratchet, we use them with the same dimensions in inches. Look at your mail box for my messages. My address is frank.zank@tiscali.it.
Old 23-11-03, 02:32

Default Wrong nut????

Hi Francesco

Nope I did not receive any of your e-mails yet.... Saturday 8:30 PM..... will send one to your address...

Don't tell me I got the wrong socket.... I will take one of my axles apart tomorrow to check.... no problem I have the receipt and can exchange if necessary......

Will get back to you Sunday..... hey.. had spaghetti tonite in your Honor!!!!!

You should try "poutine"..... bet you do not know what that is!!!

Hang in there....
Canada
Old 23-11-03, 07:12
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Shape of socket

The rear hub nuts are definately OCTAGONAL in shape. Ford and Chev CMPs and Carriers all use the same nut, which is used in Ford truck axles from 1932 through to at least 1954.
Attached Thumbnails
img_0030.jpg  
Old 24-11-03, 08:42

Default wheel nut

Hello Tony, thanks for your answer. Looks like you've got a couple of these sockets. Aren't you willing to sell one to me? I also got the original Dodge and WOA wheel nut sockets and it would make a complete series on the shelf.
Old 01-12-03, 16:35

Default Conclusion......

Well we have the modern version of the sockets.... 8 sided....3 inch... 3/4 inch drive are available at CarQuest ... distributed by "Hastings" in Canada. approx. price $33.00 plus taxes..... weighs about pounds.
Canada